Anyone jobless for a long time before? - Page 256 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #2551 (permalink)  
Old 30-10-2019, 07:03 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hmm, I think if the management give u a chance to try out different scope of work, you could have see it in a optimistic way and take the chance to learn as you have mentioned they are moving and cutting existing jobs.

It could be a way of so called retraining you to value add to the company.

From what you describe, it seems that you portrayed a negative image to them

In this bad economy, I believe most of us are not paid extra money to do tasks outside our scope of work. I believe that there some ppl out there doing 2 person job scope for a pay cheque.

The mentality of sticking to a definite job scope only exist in jobs 20 years ago.

No offence to you, the above is just my own opinion.

Reply With Quote
  #2552 (permalink)  
Old 31-10-2019, 02:37 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hmm, I think if the management give u a chance to try out different scope of work, you could have see it in a optimistic way and take the chance to learn as you have mentioned they are moving and cutting existing jobs.

It could be a way of so called retraining you to value add to the company.

From what you describe, it seems that you portrayed a negative image to them

In this bad economy, I believe most of us are not paid extra money to do tasks outside our scope of work. I believe that there some ppl out there doing 2 person job scope for a pay cheque.

The mentality of sticking to a definite job scope only exist in jobs 20 years ago.

No offence to you, the above is just my own opinion.
I am the original poster.

It is not about one person do x number of people job. In fact, I have been doing more than just my own job scope and also helping to cover my other colleagues of they are on MC or on leave.

Yes, I did try to view it as a positive growth kind of thing but prior to that, no proper handover or closed door discussion for handover. The handover thing was communicated via emails. No face to face handover procedure. This unprofessional way of managing has kind of ticked me off already but I still tried my best to carry out using my limited knowledge.

My negative impression given to them was that I do not want to obey the management instruction.

Prior to that, before the qualified hr manager was being made redundant, I was given positive review by the management.

I did not regret leaving that damn company.

Reply With Quote
  #2553 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I took a significant pay cut to join current company.
I am contemplating to look for another job that can match my previous pay but what reasons should I give?
Actually the work life balance (for people with family) is decent, should I stay and bear with the pay cut instead?

Reply With Quote
  #2554 (permalink)  
Old 04-11-2019, 01:07 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I took a significant pay cut to join current company.
I am contemplating to look for another job that can match my previous pay but what reasons should I give?
Actually the work life balance (for people with family) is decent, should I stay and bear with the pay cut instead?
How much is the pay cut and how long have you joined your current firm? You mention there is work life balance, what about your previous job? And how old are you now? If in your 20s, just change lor since you are still young...
Reply With Quote
  #2555 (permalink)  
Old 19-11-2019, 09:48 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Need advice.

Jobless for 7 months. No openings in my industry. I have no choice but to look at other inustries that I am also keen at.

During the 7 months, I didn't take up any Contract or temp jobs as mostly are f n b or retail. I am not interested in these industries. So I fixated only on the job openings of my industry. Went for interviews but not selected. Fast forward, now coming year end, more quiet. I recently sent my resume to try my luck in other industry. Only Recruit Express contacted me but they often only have contract or temp jobs.

I got a call from Recruit Express just now and ask if I am keen on a temp job for 3 months. I have no income for the past 7 months so I just agree to meet up with this recruiter.

My question : Should I go for this 3 months temp job in another industry? Or wait for my perm. job in my original industry? I still can survive a few months more with my savings but I really would like to have a perm job in my former industry that pays me reasonable well.

I am worried what if there were job openings in my industry which I can start immediately, but bog down by this temp job that last 3 months?

Should I take this temp job or wait.
Reply With Quote
  #2556 (permalink)  
Old 19-11-2019, 07:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi all,
I am currently a student who just completed A levels. I know this is probably not the forum for me but I really have a burning question to ask.
I will receive my exam results early next year and will be choosing uni course. Can I ask how is the job market in general and which are the less volatile industry? (And what course should I study to get into these industries?- I obviously do note that this will also be dependent on my results)

I am a science student but I don't have a special interest in anything as of now. (Although I can fairly say that I am more into maths/science rather than humanities)
I am generally a passive person who is not ambitious in nature, so the idea of one succeeding in any career as long as he has the drive probably doesn't apply to me
I am looking mainly for a stable mundane 8-5 job getting a stable salary of 3-4k/month if possible. (Thought of being in civil service come to mind?)

Can anyone advise on this?
Reply With Quote

  #2557 (permalink)  
Old 19-11-2019, 10:44 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all,
I am currently a student who just completed A levels. I know this is probably not the forum for me but I really have a burning question to ask.
I will receive my exam results early next year and will be choosing uni course. Can I ask how is the job market in general and which are the less volatile industry? (And what course should I study to get into these industries?- I obviously do note that this will also be dependent on my results)

I am a science student but I don't have a special interest in anything as of now. (Although I can fairly say that I am more into maths/science rather than humanities)
I am generally a passive person who is not ambitious in nature, so the idea of one succeeding in any career as long as he has the drive probably doesn't apply to me
I am looking mainly for a stable mundane 8-5 job getting a stable salary of 3-4k/month if possible. (Thought of being in civil service come to mind?)

Can anyone advise on this?

Hey, you taking what subjects in your As? So fast finished liao? I suggest you take Engineering in university. With an engineering degree, you can work in a lot of places.
Reply With Quote
  #2558 (permalink)  
Old 20-11-2019, 09:30 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Anyone went for the Walk in interview at the Tampines Hub career connect yesterday?

I am jobless for 8 months so I went to try the walk in interview. It was an interview for Receptionist position at polyclinics. But I have been working as an office support staff in legal industry. Totally different but the healthcare sector is also another of my interest.

The Singhealth polyclinic interviewer look at me with slight distaste and ask why I want to come for this interview. So I told her I have been working in legal industry and hope to change industry and moreover healthcare industry is also my other interested area.

She talked to me about the work as a recept in clinics and then ended up pushing me to another interviewer in the same room. She asked this interviewer whether she want me or not. Then I was told to go over to that interviewer. The interviewer skim through my resume and then asked me, 'do you even know what kind of environment you will be working in?' And the start shooting all sort of negative questions such as whether I need to take time off to take care of my aged sick parents, etc. I got a bit pissed off and told her so far I do not have such problem (if she is seeing that as a problem).

All the while, she exhibited a kind of 'I don't think you fit the bill cos this is customer service not backend office position'. I only smile smile but forgot to 'shoot' back at her that I know clearly what i am coming for.

End of the interview, she casually mention to wait for them to reply me after 2 weeks.

Then as I walked to the door to exit, I heard her sweat behind me.

What kind of **** is this. Discrimination cos I am a Jobless diploma holder ? Discrimination because I look much younger than other applicants ?

I saw a different treatment when another auntie prolly in her 50s with only PSLE went to the interview and the interviewer was in all smiles.

I thought WSG is a government initiated to help unemployed find jobs ? So discrimination is also rampant ?
Reply With Quote
  #2559 (permalink)  
Old 20-11-2019, 02:25 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Any non fresh diploma holder jobless?
Reply With Quote
  #2560 (permalink)  
Old 20-11-2019, 04:52 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I quitted without a job to look wholeheartedly for another job but the employer don't believe me. What have I done wrong. Quit without a job is a sin ?


SG BusLeh mobile app
SG BusLeh - the best bus app - available on iPhone and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Our Poll Results: 45% Fresh Graduates Jobless Salary.sg Income and Jobs 19 26-06-2018 01:13 PM
Jobless Graduates Should Consider SAF Salary.sg Income and Jobs 60 14-06-2012 09:59 PM
How long should i work here? dryden28 Income and Jobs 6 31-08-2010 05:27 PM
65,400 Jobless in September, will be Significantly More Salary.sg Income and Jobs 0 16-01-2009 05:38 PM
Bank executives work long hours Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 25-05-2008 04:02 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Job search for returning...
0 Replies, 1 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,859 Replies, 1,725,820 Views
Working at Changi Business Park
5 Replies, 203 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,687 Replies, 749,692 Views
Schneider Electric - EGP (Grad... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
36 Replies, 12,878 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
156 Replies, 51,137 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
611 Replies, 307,232 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,369 Replies, 533,441 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,689 Replies, 478,966 Views
Met a girl from dating app
1 Replies, 150 Views
Shell TDP ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
146 Replies, 42,611 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,845 Replies, 2,071,610 Views
Gap year, Sabbatical
4 Replies, 232 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,916 Replies, 5,125,432 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
240 Replies, 149,060 Views
OCBC Young Bankers Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
96 Replies, 70,376 Views
Career switches - job options and... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 1,942 Views
What course should I undertake?
3 Replies, 2,057 Views
is it crazy to give up a 100k P.A... ( 1 2 3)
26 Replies, 20,809 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,010 Replies, 1,360,996 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,007 Replies, 803,961 Views
SPF (Direct-Entry Inspector)
8 Replies, 868 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
371 Replies, 166,000 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,547 Replies, 1,214,326 Views
GovTech career grade ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
83 Replies, 105,008 Views
aerospace engineer (rolls royce) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
36 Replies, 57,283 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
290 Replies, 48,718 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
114 Replies, 75,177 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
810 Replies, 411,760 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2