Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Anyone jobless for a long time before?
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2020, 04:57 PM
Unregistered

Hello everyone, a long time lurker here. Just want to share to encourage you guys.

I got a job today, but it had been a long journey for me. I was a fresh grad, but jobless for 8 months before i secured my job today. In the 8 months, i applied for over 100 jobs, but only managed to get 7 interviews. My university (not one of the top 3 unis) sucked and did not advise the cohort for the job search, which made it a little harder. I hope i can piece some tips here for you guys, that it took me 8 months (and 7 interviews) to learn from:

1. If asked to do personality test, do not fill it up honestly. Do the test based on what you believe the organisation seeks. Most companies would want someone who is collaborative, and works well in a team.

2. During interviews, be the best version of yourself. I tried being more sanguine a few times, but the interview did not work in my favor. Stay genuine by being yourself.

3. Prepare for scenario based questions, always have a scenario ready. Eg. Give an example of when you lead a team of different stakeholders. You can prep for these questions from glassdoor as well.

4. ask at least 2 questions at the end of the interview (not including "when will i know the results of the interview"). ask more questions from their answer for your prepared questions.

I know what it was like having to look for jobs, and continuously going out for interviews. It was pretty demoralising period for me, and i believe for most of you, especially with the job market getting worse. But press on, you'll never know when you will get the job like me.