Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical Timeline for making a Hiring Decision - Page 612 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical Timeline for making a Hiring Decision

Old 22-03-2024, 03:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Anyone ever transferred from one ministry to another?

I started off with a diploma in one ministry 12 years ago. Along the way, my ministry sponsored my degree studies. Now I applied for another ministry and the HR is telling me that my degree will not considered as it is termed as an Inter Ministry Transfer and I may face a pay cut even as the ministry I am applying for is of a lower tier.

Is this the norm? And if I apply for a Stat Board, is it the same story?

Thanks
Under movement policy, pay, rank and benefits are usually the same. if you want your degree to be considered and paid as a degree grad, then you have to find a job that requires a degree and go in as a fresh hire as well (no movement policy). However, do take note that the HR might even pay you a fresh grad pay despite you having 12 years experience because they only consider your experience after getting the degree.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 22-03-2024, 05:25 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I can confirm that if you're currently from one ministry where you're on permanent scheme, if you transfer to another ministry you will be offered permanent.
Is this really true? I did see some posts around here that some people were still only offered 1-3 year contracts for movement policy despite being perm

Old 23-03-2024, 11:03 AM
Unregistered

last year i shared my application to offer journey on this forum and also shared that the salary offer was below my expected. basically they offered me a few bucks less monthly gross salary than what i was already earning in my previous job at private sector, but argued that the bonus is better i.e., better overall annual compensation. i think i was rly shocked to have been offered even less than what i was already drawing bc when i change jobs in private sector the monthly gross pay will always increase. but anyway i decided to accept the offer and just try it out. so after one year, i wanted to share my thoughts here and hopefully it might help someone on the journey thinking whether to accept an offer!

so it turns out that my annual compensation was rly much higher than if i had stayed on in my previous role. my previous role’s bonus was averaging about 1-1.5months, so using this calculation, i did get more than 20% increment in terms of annual compensation after joining the ministry. but i also think that i am very lucky to have joined a ministry that has generally nice people around. my bosses, esp the directors, are fantastic. i do feel appreciated for my work here and i think they are looking out for me where possible. i got offered emplacement this year and even tho it was a first year where performance grading shld have been default C for new joiner, i got more than that, thus my PB quantum was also a bit higher, contributing to the overall annual compensation amount. i know this experience is very subjective, and not everyone in public service get to experience good bosses! i think i am the luckier ones to have a generally positive experience in public service and i think this is actly the best organisation i’ve been in so far (i had experience in 3 other private organisations prior to joining govt). i got a feeling i might end up staying long term in this ministry if all things continue well and i feel appreciated for my efforts. while i understand there are limitations such as promotion chances got to depend on a lot of other factors apart from capability, i just rly want to count my blessings at this point bc i have a great work life balance and could still spend enough time w my young kids.

best of luck to everyone out there! i rly hope you land something good! sometimes it’s all about perspective and you’ll never know what’s in store for you.

Old 23-03-2024, 12:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
last year i shared my application to offer journey on this forum and also shared that the salary offer was below my expected. basically they offered me a few bucks less monthly gross salary than what i was already earning in my previous job at private sector, but argued that the bonus is better i.e., better overall annual compensation. i think i was rly shocked to have been offered even less than what i was already drawing bc when i change jobs in private sector the monthly gross pay will always increase. but anyway i decided to accept the offer and just try it out. so after one year, i wanted to share my thoughts here and hopefully it might help someone on the journey thinking whether to accept an offer!

so it turns out that my annual compensation was rly much higher than if i had stayed on in my previous role. my previous role’s bonus was averaging about 1-1.5months, so using this calculation, i did get more than 20% increment in terms of annual compensation after joining the ministry. but i also think that i am very lucky to have joined a ministry that has generally nice people around. my bosses, esp the directors, are fantastic. i do feel appreciated for my work here and i think they are looking out for me where possible. i got offered emplacement this year and even tho it was a first year where performance grading shld have been default C for new joiner, i got more than that, thus my PB quantum was also a bit higher, contributing to the overall annual compensation amount. i know this experience is very subjective, and not everyone in public service get to experience good bosses! i think i am the luckier ones to have a generally positive experience in public service and i think this is actly the best organisation i’ve been in so far (i had experience in 3 other private organisations prior to joining govt). i got a feeling i might end up staying long term in this ministry if all things continue well and i feel appreciated for my efforts. while i understand there are limitations such as promotion chances got to depend on a lot of other factors apart from capability, i just rly want to count my blessings at this point bc i have a great work life balance and could still spend enough time w my young kids.

best of luck to everyone out there! i rly hope you land something good! sometimes it’s all about perspective and you’ll never know what’s in store for you.
Congrats bro or sis. Well done.

Its important to have good bosses who will fight for u and recognise your effort

Otherwise even good pay but will break your mind and soul easily
Old 23-03-2024, 12:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

happy for you!

not sure which was the post where you did your sharing, but at which MX level were you emplaced? how many YOE did you have before being emplaced?

thank you and congrats once again!
Old 23-03-2024, 12:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Congrats bro or sis. Well done.

Its important to have good bosses who will fight for u and recognise your effort

Otherwise even good pay but will break your mind and soul easily
thank you!! yes i agree, initially i was quite upset about the monthly pay decrease but now i realised it’s just a number. while we need to make enough to sustain the cost of living, but lots of other factors are to be considered too and definitely good bosses are hard to come by so im rly thankful for that

Old 23-03-2024, 12:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
happy for you!

not sure which was the post where you did your sharing, but at which MX level were you emplaced? how many YOE did you have before being emplaced?

thank you and congrats once again!
thank you ☺️ i joined the ministry at MX12. had 5 years of working experience in private sector which 3.5 years being direct relevant experience. my one year contract with the ministry is just about to be up and was told that i’ll be emplaced!
Old 24-03-2024, 10:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Thanks for sharing! Appreciate the response
Old 25-03-2024, 05:55 PM
Unregistered

Default SCDF Staff Officer Interview

Hi all, I have just been scheduled for an interview with SCDF for a Staff Officer role. After submitting all the documents that HR asked for, I was told there will be a Written Assignment before the Interview.

Has anyone ever taken this written assignment? I am suppose to complete the assignment in 40 minutes and email it back. It seems that the HR is based in MHA HR Services Centre and not SCDF’s HR directly. Anyone can offer insights into the written assignment please.
Old 25-03-2024, 08:21 PM
Unregistered

Hi all, need advice on how to continue. Applied for eng role at LTA, got a verbal offer in late Feb with tentative start this week/next week but until now still no LOA. HR says they are waiting for a final pre-employment check (someone didn't reply email) since early March. Been following up biweekly but still same update. Heard a few horror stories about last min pullout, is this the same? Worried man...