Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical Timeline for making a Hiring Decision
View Single Post
Old 23-03-2024, 11:03 AM
Unregistered

last year i shared my application to offer journey on this forum and also shared that the salary offer was below my expected. basically they offered me a few bucks less monthly gross salary than what i was already earning in my previous job at private sector, but argued that the bonus is better i.e., better overall annual compensation. i think i was rly shocked to have been offered even less than what i was already drawing bc when i change jobs in private sector the monthly gross pay will always increase. but anyway i decided to accept the offer and just try it out. so after one year, i wanted to share my thoughts here and hopefully it might help someone on the journey thinking whether to accept an offer!

so it turns out that my annual compensation was rly much higher than if i had stayed on in my previous role. my previous role’s bonus was averaging about 1-1.5months, so using this calculation, i did get more than 20% increment in terms of annual compensation after joining the ministry. but i also think that i am very lucky to have joined a ministry that has generally nice people around. my bosses, esp the directors, are fantastic. i do feel appreciated for my work here and i think they are looking out for me where possible. i got offered emplacement this year and even tho it was a first year where performance grading shld have been default C for new joiner, i got more than that, thus my PB quantum was also a bit higher, contributing to the overall annual compensation amount. i know this experience is very subjective, and not everyone in public service get to experience good bosses! i think i am the luckier ones to have a generally positive experience in public service and i think this is actly the best organisation i’ve been in so far (i had experience in 3 other private organisations prior to joining govt). i got a feeling i might end up staying long term in this ministry if all things continue well and i feel appreciated for my efforts. while i understand there are limitations such as promotion chances got to depend on a lot of other factors apart from capability, i just rly want to count my blessings at this point bc i have a great work life balance and could still spend enough time w my young kids.

best of luck to everyone out there! i rly hope you land something good! sometimes it’s all about perspective and you’ll never know what’s in store for you.