Salaries of Professors in SG - Page 12 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Salaries of Professors in SG

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #111 (permalink)  
Old 29-11-2015, 12:57 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I am a local fresh PhD grad, in the field of social sciences/humanities, with no postdoc experience. I have more than 5 lead author articles published in highly regarded journals in my field (ranked top 10), graduated with bachelor and master at NUS (itself a highly ranked global institution) and PhD from Oxbridge.

I have applied for a couple of jobs, most recently a shortlist at NTU (Singapore), for a tenure-track position in Asst Professorship.

A couple of questions here I hope to receive some friendly advice. Based on my profile, how much should I be expecting, say, between the starting package of 80k - 100k - any experienced commentator pertaining to this?

Also, is it reasonable for me to expect and negotiate for "more", in the SG academic job environment, based on the reputation of my degrees and the fact that I have already published pieces in some of the top journals in the field?

Reply With Quote
  #112 (permalink)  
Old 29-11-2015, 03:06 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

As your field of study is non-technical, i would not be so optimistic in terms of the salary to be offered.
5 journal publication in top tier is nothing unusual, but if you are awarded best paper or if your work is quoted in leading press, then that could be additional selling point.

Anything above $50k is reasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am a local fresh PhD grad, in the field of social sciences/humanities, with no postdoc experience. I have more than 5 lead author articles published in highly regarded journals in my field (ranked top 10), graduated with bachelor and master at NUS (itself a highly ranked global institution) and PhD from Oxbridge.

I have applied for a couple of jobs, most recently a shortlist at NTU (Singapore), for a tenure-track position in Asst Professorship.

A couple of questions here I hope to receive some friendly advice. Based on my profile, how much should I be expecting, say, between the starting package of 80k - 100k - any experienced commentator pertaining to this?

Also, is it reasonable for me to expect and negotiate for "more", in the SG academic job environment, based on the reputation of my degrees and the fact that I have already published pieces in some of the top journals in the field?




Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #113 (permalink)  
Old 29-11-2015, 07:30 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
As your field of study is non-technical, i would not be so optimistic in terms of the salary to be offered.
5 journal publication in top tier is nothing unusual, but if you are awarded best paper or if your work is quoted in leading press, then that could be additional selling point.

Anything above $50k is reasonable.
Thank you for your input.

I do not quite understand what you mean by "field of study is non-technical" and therefore not so optimistic over the salary?

I am quite surprised 5 publications in top tier journals is considered nothing unusual to you. As a fresh PhD graduate having already produced 5 single/lead authored papers is not common at all, in my opinion and based on my observations.

But I do agree with you that being quoted in leading press, or being awarded best paper, will definitely be a good point to sell the self.

Reply With Quote
  #114 (permalink)  
Old 29-11-2015, 07:34 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

50k per annum sounds a little too off the salary scale.

I recently saw a postdoc in the same faculty advertised for 6k per month, that makes it 72k per annum. And this is a postdoc position.

It would be a laughing stock for NTU to offer 50k at the minimum scale for tenure-track positions, given it's a global research university.
Reply With Quote
  #115 (permalink)  
Old 30-11-2015, 02:49 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

local uni b-sch pays its asst profs 20k a mth
Reply With Quote
  #116 (permalink)  
Old 30-11-2015, 10:45 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thank you for your input.

I do not quite understand what you mean by "field of study is non-technical" and therefore not so optimistic over the salary?

I am quite surprised 5 publications in top tier journals is considered nothing unusual to you. As a fresh PhD graduate having already produced 5 single/lead authored papers is not common at all, in my opinion and based on my observations.

But I do agree with you that being quoted in leading press, or being awarded best paper, will definitely be a good point to sell the self.
It is Nanyang Technological University. Hence, non technological subjects are simply less important and pay lesser. Even disregarding the technological biases of a technical university, the normal market normally pays humanities/social sciences much lesser anyway.

Unless you are an economics major, it is not surprising to get much lower pay. There is a large supply of humanities majors and low demand for them.
Reply With Quote

  #117 (permalink)  
Old 30-11-2015, 10:52 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thank you for your input.

I do not quite understand what you mean by "field of study is non-technical" and therefore not so optimistic over the salary?

I am quite surprised 5 publications in top tier journals is considered nothing unusual to you. As a fresh PhD graduate having already produced 5 single/lead authored papers is not common at all, in my opinion and based on my observations.

But I do agree with you that being quoted in leading press, or being awarded best paper, will definitely be a good point to sell the self.
This forum is known for its bullshitters and self-certified experts. You are a joke for seeking advice on professorship here.





Or maybe you are a troll too.
Reply With Quote
  #118 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2015, 07:11 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This forum is known for its bullshitters and self-certified experts. You are a joke for seeking advice on professorship here.





Or maybe you are a troll too.
i am not . this is a serious question. Anyone able to comment on this?
Reply With Quote
  #119 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2015, 02:42 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Salary of university lecturer

This may be a good guide for you as it is based on Singapore:

Top 100 Jobs Across All Industries
1.Managing director/ Chief executive officer $32,800
2.Specialist medical practitioner (surgical) $32,713
3.Specialist medical practitioner (medical) $28,413
4.Commodities derivatives broker $25,000
5.Foreign exchange dealer/ Broker $21,667
6.Chief operating officer/ General manager $20,773
7.Company director $18,100
8.Lawyer (excluding advocate and solicitor) $17,370
9.University lecturer $15,254
10.General practitioner/ Physician $13,806
Reply With Quote
  #120 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2017, 11:10 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

how much does an instructor make in NUS?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Restructured hospital salaries qwertyman Income and Jobs 65 02-09-2021 09:35 PM
Private Banking Salaries Newhere Income and Jobs 77 05-08-2020 04:34 PM
Salaries of Professors Salary.sg Income and Jobs 13 07-05-2019 01:54 PM
Salaries for Scientists BKA Income and Jobs 3 27-12-2011 02:47 PM
Mid-Market Corporate Finance Salaries keynesian slave Income and Jobs 0 23-06-2010 03:47 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,659 Replies, 477,416 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,126 Replies, 1,681,382 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
894 Replies, 535,807 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
591 Replies, 358,516 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,452 Replies, 1,614,967 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,340 Replies, 2,811,848 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,267 Replies, 353,521 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
151 Replies, 135,885 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
778 Replies, 372,317 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
15,543 Replies, 5,348,315 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,039 Replies, 4,579,123 Views
SEA (Garena) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
54 Replies, 45,073 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,198 Replies, 1,972,295 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,481 Replies, 691,366 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,497 Replies, 2,761,269 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
375 Replies, 132,151 Views
Comp Science Frsh Grad Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
630 Replies, 128,417 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,352 Replies, 7,881,413 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
443 Replies, 143,715 Views
Bloomberg/Factset/Re... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 10,903 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
873 Replies, 269,064 Views
JP Morgan ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
114 Replies, 72,618 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
522 Replies, 189,570 Views
OCBC Bank
4 Replies, 300 Views
Fresh grad 2020 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
53 Replies, 21,219 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,902 Replies, 1,008,181 Views
Htx ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
60 Replies, 7,882 Views
SLA (Singapore Land Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
33 Replies, 21,718 Views
CAD (Commercial Affairs Department) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
205 Replies, 157,627 Views
If you can't find a company here... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
52 Replies, 6,775 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 05:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2