Salaries of Professors in SG - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Salaries of Professors in SG

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 28-05-2012, 11:08 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 13
ravonboy is on a distinguished road
Default Salaries of Professors in SG

Anyone has updated statistics about this, including tenured and non-tenured tracks?

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 28-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 13
ravonboy is on a distinguished road
Default

Anyway, just a little info about me (since i can't edit after 5 mins): I am matriculating in NUS this year, aspiring to be a professor in Computer Science. Just wanna know about the career prospects of professorship, not really interested in working in biz, or else i would have chosen Information Systems. There are dubious statistics that i found on the net regarding prof salaries in SG, so I want to ask for more honest opinions. No trolling please.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 28-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

u can forget about being a academia in NUS since u are enrolling in NUS.
In general, they would hire from Ivy Leaguers in US, Oxbridge or other good foreign Unis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravonboy View Post
Anyway, just a little info about me (since i can't edit after 5 mins): I am matriculating in NUS this year, aspiring to be a professor in Computer Science. Just wanna know about the career prospects of professorship, not really interested in working in biz, or else i would have chosen Information Systems. There are dubious statistics that i found on the net regarding prof salaries in SG, so I want to ask for more honest opinions. No trolling please.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 28-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 13
ravonboy is on a distinguished road
Default

Yeah, I heard that they don't really offer tenureship to homegrown PhD holders. Anyway, just to clear up the air. I am matriculating as an undergrad, not as a post-grad student. I'm aiming for CMU, Stanford, MIT for PhD, if I get first class honors that is.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 28-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

wah haven't walk, wan to think of flying liao.

anyway, just a little info, ivy league entry requirements are more than grades. u still need to take gre/gmat/toelf/ietls, get recommendations by profs, demostrate your apitude through essays and and a few publications to show. even full gpa students can be denied admission.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 29-05-2012, 12:27 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 13
ravonboy is on a distinguished road
Default

Yeah, well aware of that, thank you for the info anyway . Passion for research and recommendation letter by professors are the most important, but a first class honors wouldn't hurt. Lol. I did plenty of readings for the admission requirements. If you could excuse my being pedantic, you may want to know CMU, MIT, Stanford are not Ivies (they are better than most of the latter though).

Anyway back on topic, can someone shed some light on local professors' salaries? :P

Last edited by ravonboy; 29-05-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 29-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravonboy View Post
Yeah, well aware of that, thank you for the info anyway . Passion for research and recommendation letter by professors are the most important, but a first class honors wouldn't hurt. Lol. I did plenty of readings for the admission requirements. If you could excuse my being pedantic, you may want to know CMU, MIT, Stanford are not Ivies (they are better than most of the latter though).

Anyway back on topic, can someone shed some light on local professors' salaries? :P
Depends on discipline. Generally for local asst prof fresh from phd, about S$8 - 9 k++ per mth. Finance will fetch higher.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 29-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 13
ravonboy is on a distinguished road
Default

The salary is looking solid, this puts me at ease knowing that I wouldn't get paid peanuts after years toiling to finish my dissertation.

Just to side-track a little, would they offer assistant professorship to a fresh PhD grad so easily? I thought you must rise through the academic ranks, let's say: from lecturer to assistant professor? So most likely I would get a lecturer position straight out of PhD? I'm not very sure about this, can someone clarify? Btw, what would the salary for lecturers be?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 29-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 187
poor and stupid is on a distinguished road
Default

eh, u wait long long ok? after phd u get 4k~5k teaching fellow, researcher, senior researcher, then a.prof. if your paper never tio publish, wait long long also dun have
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 29-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravonboy View Post
The salary is looking solid, this puts me at ease knowing that I wouldn't get paid peanuts after years toiling to finish my dissertation.

Just to side-track a little, would they offer assistant professorship to a fresh PhD grad so easily? I thought you must rise through the academic ranks, let's say: from lecturer to assistant professor? So most likely I would get a lecturer position straight out of PhD? I'm not very sure about this, can someone clarify? Btw, what would the salary for lecturers be?
Local uni is adopting US style. Entry level is Asst Prof, afterwhich you will need to work towards your tenure.

Yes, if you are under a very well-known uni and prof, you can get Asst Prof job immediately fresh out of your phd. however, the natural progression is to do a Post-doc for a year or two, then seek faculty position as Asst Prof.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Private Banking Salaries Newhere Income and Jobs 76 17-05-2019 09:56 PM
Salaries of Professors Salary.sg Income and Jobs 13 07-05-2019 01:54 PM
Restructured hospital salaries qwertyman Income and Jobs 40 07-04-2019 07:39 PM
Salaries for Scientists BKA Income and Jobs 3 27-12-2011 01:47 PM
Mid-Market Corporate Finance Salaries keynesian slave Income and Jobs 0 23-06-2010 03:47 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,162 Replies, 4,546,819 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,307 Replies, 1,535,243 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,042 Replies, 139,771 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,395 Replies, 1,445,013 Views
GovTech career grade ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
68 Replies, 68,895 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,379 Replies, 1,112,909 Views
All about Home Affairs Senior... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
160 Replies, 146,292 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,650 Replies, 1,103,942 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,326 Replies, 465,699 Views
How to get into Banking industry? ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 1,245 Views
Working in HDB ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
290 Replies, 209,558 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,181 Replies, 793,278 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,679 Replies, 3,370,022 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,514 Replies, 635,892 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,524 Replies, 392,152 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
81 Replies, 16,177 Views
share your instant death at... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
32 Replies, 12,878 Views
How much savings do you have? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,242 Replies, 473,486 Views
Officer Role in Bank of Tokyo -... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
167 Replies, 128,553 Views
shipping from China to Singapore
0 Replies, 62 Views
Shell TDP ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
101 Replies, 31,081 Views
Mid-Year Civil Servant Bonus 2019 ( 1 2)
11 Replies, 1,459 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
799 Replies, 592,324 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 6,603 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
604 Replies, 652,604 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
272 Replies, 213,814 Views
Loan offer at low rate
0 Replies, 73 Views
2019 Fresh Grad starting pay
5 Replies, 305 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2