Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Salaries of Professors in SG (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1944-salaries-professors-sg.html)

ravonboy 28-05-2012 11:08 AM

Salaries of Professors in SG

Anyone has updated statistics about this, including tenured and non-tenured tracks?

ravonboy 28-05-2012 11:15 AM

Anyway, just a little info about me (since i can't edit after 5 mins): I am matriculating in NUS this year, aspiring to be a professor in Computer Science. Just wanna know about the career prospects of professorship, not really interested in working in biz, or else i would have chosen Information Systems. There are dubious statistics that i found on the net regarding prof salaries in SG, so I want to ask for more honest opinions. No trolling please.

Unregistered 28-05-2012 07:46 PM

u can forget about being a academia in NUS since u are enrolling in NUS.
In general, they would hire from Ivy Leaguers in US, Oxbridge or other good foreign Unis.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravonboy (Post 25133)
Anyway, just a little info about me (since i can't edit after 5 mins): I am matriculating in NUS this year, aspiring to be a professor in Computer Science. Just wanna know about the career prospects of professorship, not really interested in working in biz, or else i would have chosen Information Systems. There are dubious statistics that i found on the net regarding prof salaries in SG, so I want to ask for more honest opinions. No trolling please.

ravonboy 28-05-2012 10:24 PM

Yeah, I heard that they don't really offer tenureship to homegrown PhD holders. Anyway, just to clear up the air. I am matriculating as an undergrad, not as a post-grad student. I'm aiming for CMU, Stanford, MIT for PhD, if I get first class honors that is.

Unregistered 28-05-2012 11:11 PM

wah haven't walk, wan to think of flying liao.

anyway, just a little info, ivy league entry requirements are more than grades. u still need to take gre/gmat/toelf/ietls, get recommendations by profs, demostrate your apitude through essays and and a few publications to show. even full gpa students can be denied admission.

ravonboy 29-05-2012 12:27 AM

Yeah, well aware of that, thank you for the info anyway :). Passion for research and recommendation letter by professors are the most important, but a first class honors wouldn't hurt. Lol. I did plenty of readings for the admission requirements. If you could excuse my being pedantic, you may want to know CMU, MIT, Stanford are not Ivies (they are better than most of the latter though).

Anyway back on topic, can someone shed some light on local professors' salaries? :P

Unregistered 29-05-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravonboy (Post 25158)
Yeah, well aware of that, thank you for the info anyway :). Passion for research and recommendation letter by professors are the most important, but a first class honors wouldn't hurt. Lol. I did plenty of readings for the admission requirements. If you could excuse my being pedantic, you may want to know CMU, MIT, Stanford are not Ivies (they are better than most of the latter though).

Anyway back on topic, can someone shed some light on local professors' salaries? :P

Depends on discipline. Generally for local asst prof fresh from phd, about S$8 - 9 k++ per mth. Finance will fetch higher.

ravonboy 29-05-2012 02:34 PM

The salary is looking solid, this puts me at ease knowing that I wouldn't get paid peanuts after years toiling to finish my dissertation.

Just to side-track a little, would they offer assistant professorship to a fresh PhD grad so easily? I thought you must rise through the academic ranks, let's say: from lecturer to assistant professor? So most likely I would get a lecturer position straight out of PhD? I'm not very sure about this, can someone clarify? Btw, what would the salary for lecturers be?

poor and stupid 29-05-2012 03:20 PM

eh, u wait long long ok? after phd u get 4k~5k teaching fellow, researcher, senior researcher, then a.prof. if your paper never tio publish, wait long long also dun have

Unregistered 29-05-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravonboy (Post 25176)
The salary is looking solid, this puts me at ease knowing that I wouldn't get paid peanuts after years toiling to finish my dissertation.

Just to side-track a little, would they offer assistant professorship to a fresh PhD grad so easily? I thought you must rise through the academic ranks, let's say: from lecturer to assistant professor? So most likely I would get a lecturer position straight out of PhD? I'm not very sure about this, can someone clarify? Btw, what would the salary for lecturers be?

Local uni is adopting US style. Entry level is Asst Prof, afterwhich you will need to work towards your tenure.

Yes, if you are under a very well-known uni and prof, you can get Asst Prof job immediately fresh out of your phd. however, the natural progression is to do a Post-doc for a year or two, then seek faculty position as Asst Prof.