Career as Teacher - Page 907 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 29-07-2023, 10:06 PM
Unregistered

Student Leadership work got more limelight, nore visible, can wayang more easily.

Get ready to do a lot of OT organising high-vis programmes like orientation, open houses, school celebrations, and other adhoc duties.

If you are good, can be seen by the entire management, easier for your boss to fight for you during appraisal. If you cannot perform, everyone can see too.

Old 30-07-2023, 01:27 AM
Unregistered

Thank you.. if HQ positions are not filled up during OPE, are they available during Closed Posting? or just for positions in schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
OPE deadline is for the schools/hq units/secondment orgs to post their vacancies

It is NOT the deadline for staff to accept offers.

The various units will shortlist and interview people on the list until the vacancies are filled. This process might well continue until late Aug.

After they cleared everyone on the list, or if they manage to fill the position, then the OPE cycle is officially concluded. Whichever units that still have unfilled positions will then move into close posting exercise.

Because of how OPE is structured, where both the units and applicants have to compete on a first come first served basis, there is a huge element of luck involved.
E.g. A less capable candidate who applied earlier, got interviewed earlier, and accepted earlier, will get the position over a more capable candidate who maybe applied later, or hesitated in accepting the offer because they are waiting for other better offers.

Good luck for those who are still going to try for closed posting later.

Old 30-07-2023, 12:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thank you.. if HQ positions are not filled up during OPE, are they available during Closed Posting? or just for positions in schools?
UNLIKELY. There are many applicants for a HQ position.

Old 30-07-2023, 12:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
But student leadership work is quite valued by many schools, which can make your journey to SH easier
In fact, in an above average school, it is THE THING.
Old 30-07-2023, 12:37 PM

tastelikesugar is on a distinguished road

Hello. I have been in the service for 7 years, currently GEO 4.
I applied for Open Posting this year for a HQ position.

I applied on the last day of Open Posting, and was emailed for an interview the next week.
At the interview, they clarified that the Open Posting Exercise was for applications only. Interviews and offers continue to run till the later part of this year. I am guessing if I apply on the last day and still have a chance for an interview means they haven't made an offer to any prior candidates.

I went for the interview on 21 July, and I haven't heard from them since, though they did mention they will get back to me by the end of this week. Does anyone know how they will get back to me? Email? Call? Usually how long till they make an offer?

Thank you.
Old 30-07-2023, 01:28 PM
Unregistered

s://.reddit.com/r/singapore/comments/y3pa63/chan_chun_sings_moe_is_critically_out_of_touch/

Old 30-07-2023, 01:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastelikesugar View Post

I applied on the last day of Open Posting, and was emailed for an interview the next week.
At the interview, they clarified that the Open Posting Exercise was for applications only. Interviews and offers continue to run till the later part of this year. I am guessing if I apply on the last day and still have a chance for an interview means they haven't made an offer to any prior candidates.

I went for the interview on 21 July, and I haven't heard from them since, though they did mention they will get back to me by the end of this week. Does anyone know how they will get back to me? Email? Call? Usually how long till they make an offer?

Thank you.
No fixed timeline. If they really want you, they can make the offer as quickly as on the same day of the interview. Had colleagues who had an interview, and got a phone call about the offer a few hours after the interview.

If they are waiting for other people to decide on the offer, or think that there are potential interviewees after you whom they want more, they will just sit on it until all the better candidates above you have been cleared.
Old 30-07-2023, 02:28 PM
Unregistered

Cool Got lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastelikesugar View Post

Thank you.
Hi, I applied on the 2nd day of OPE (1st day, there were errors in the portal during submission on the first day so HR emailed all the affected ones).

Got called for a group interview, the Friday of the the 1st week. I was offered the position via email the next day (Saturday, lol) and said they were keen to have me onboard but they needed to run some checks with my Heads first. They offered me via the HRP portal formally the following Tues. Since I have to accept it within 3 days and other branches took too long to get back to me so I accepted it (I like the position, anyway..) So if they really want you, they will offer you FAST.

Some branches took their own sweet time to go through every candidate (maybe through 1-1 interviews) and told candidates, they will eventually get back to them.. I couldn't wait though.

I have contacts with some Asst Directors of other branches and they told me they had already filled up their positions by the end of OPE so some branches really move fast.

A couple of years ago, my friend applied and was interviewed during the middle of OPE period but was only offered on the last day of OPE when he thought he had no other hope.. I guess others can be interviewed and offered even after the OPE ends.

So it really depends on the branch. If you are tired of waiting, no harm enquiring about the position by emailing the / the contact person.. Good Luck!
Old 30-07-2023, 03:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
UNLIKELY. There are many applicants for a HQ position.
There was one officer that joined my branch this year through Closed Posting. It's possible if there is a relatively large quota for the branch to fill for a given year, such as if there is a large number of outgoing officers.
Old 01-08-2023, 07:28 AM
Unregistered

why are some ambitious teachers esp those here hell bent on climbing up the moe ladder? is it because they want higher pay or want to make a greater impact ?