Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 02-04-2023, 09:49 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
For 5a should be special be a to qualify for 5a you MUST already be at ceiling for 5 which is 8250. What we want to know is the ceiling. Hopefully a new 5a can tell us. I’m guessing 9k ah
For those already at 5 Ceiling, how common is it to get 5A?

Old 02-04-2023, 09:56 AM
Unregistered

Ex teacher here. For young officers, good to leave service early while you are still young and haven't lag as far back as your peers in other industries. Increments of 2.5% and promotion increments of 5-10% is derisory. Other sectors, promotions usually have 10-20% increments. For those who jump ship, 20-35% pay raise is common. Don't waste your youth in an organisation that doesn't value its staff. They always pay lip service and say how teachers are important, how the work you do is important, yet their actions don't match their words. Look at how they manage pay, staffing, and how they protect teachers when teachers' rights are violated

The longer you stay, the harder to leave.

Old 02-04-2023, 10:41 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Ex teacher here. For young officers, good to leave service early while you are still young and haven't lag as far back as your peers in other industries. Increments of 2.5% and promotion increments of 5-10% is derisory. Other sectors, promotions usually have 10-20% increments. For those who jump ship, 20-35% pay raise is common. Don't waste your youth in an organisation that doesn't value its staff. They always pay lip service and say how teachers are important, how the work you do is important, yet their actions don't match their words. Look at how they manage pay, staffing, and how they protect teachers when teachers' rights are violated

Other sectors, being appointed to a management position means you automatically are emplaced on a management pay grade. No such thing as you slowly climb the ladder one rung at a time until you finally reach the management pay grade.

Some MNCs are already learning from this bad example from the public service and are doing the same to save cost on their young and motivated managers.

Old 02-04-2023, 11:22 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

u mean u joined teaching expecting to be paid well??? the private sector makes profits. of course the pay can be much higher
Old 02-04-2023, 11:47 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Other sectors, being appointed to a management position means you automatically are emplaced on a management pay grade. No such thing as you slowly climb the ladder one rung at a time until you finally reach the management pay grade.

Some MNCs are already learning from this bad example from the public service and are doing the same to save cost on their young and motivated managers.
Yeah sia. This is damn BS. Even the SAF does it better. Bn CO is given command as a MAJ, then as long as he/she meets the performance expectation, will get LTC by the following work year. Like clockwork. No uncertainty, no 3-5 year wait time. Of course, there are the hentak kaki servicemen, but they won't be asked to hold key command appointments if they have no promotion prospects.
Old 02-04-2023, 12:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

curious, which industry did u jump to? did u have to sacrifice any time or opportunity cost?

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app

Old 02-04-2023, 12:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
You won't get through to this type of person. Enjoyed some success in their own career, suddenly yaya papaya. Seen some young KPs in schools like that. Nice and nurturing to students but treat their colleagues and fellow teachers in the fraternity like shlt.
I couldn’t agree more. Currently a KP and at a point of my career, I am satisfied being a HOT until I literally met a BT who is a total bitch and assign with me as a co-form, this is done as the school hopes that I will mentor her. At that point of time, I have declined SH and AYH role as I want to focus on my family. Well this bitch literally step on my toes everywhere, especially with her insensitive speeches and backstabbing actions, the school is very interested to groom her and she is not even a scholar, her words are basically louder than her actions. In my 8 years of service, I have never met such a bitch like her, such of her insensitive ways was complained to her RO about her department colleague who is doing a project with her and did not even bother to thrash it out with her colleagues. With me, was doing a collaboration with an external organisation, after one of the zoom meeting, she stayed back to ask the external organisation how she can improve the project when me and other teachers have left. She did not know that the in charege of the extrernal organisation is my personal friend and more damning is how she belittle me and other teachers behind our back in front of the external organisation. Abosolutely disgusting.Was offered SH role and took it, become HOD within 2 years as the previous HOD transfer to HQ. She is still a bitch today, school is still trying to groom her but I made a promise to myself to keep her in check and from time to time remind her RO don’t believe in everything she say. Can’t believe I took up leadership role due to her but motivation really appear in all sorts of manner.
Old 02-04-2023, 12:29 PM
Unregistered

Have come across many colleagues like that in my career at MOE.

They go around putting those whom they do not like. Little do they know that we can very easily hear what they are saying.

Quite sad that these young people are doing such things at their tender age. Really wonder what will happen to them with such negative attitude when they are older and realize they are stuck in teaching job forever precisely because of their negativity

Quote:
I couldn’t agree more. Currently a KP and at a point of my career, I am satisfied being a HOT until I literally met a BT who is a total bitch and assign with me as a co-form, this is done as the school hopes that I will mentor her. At that point of time, I have declined SH and AYH role as I want to focus on my family. Well this bitch literally step on my toes everywhere, especially with her insensitive speeches and backstabbing actions, the school is very interested to groom her and she is not even a scholar, her words are basically louder than her actions. In my 8 years of service, I have never met such a bitch like her, such of her insensitive ways was complained to her RO about her department colleague who is doing a project with her and did not even bother to thrash it out with her colleagues. With me, was doing a collaboration with an external organisation, after one of the zoom meeting, she stayed back to ask the external organisation how she can improve the project when me and other teachers have left. She did not know that the in charege of the extrernal organisation is my personal friend and more damning is how she belittle me and other teachers behind our back in front of the external organisation. Abosolutely disgusting.Was offered SH role and took it, become HOD within 2 years as the previous HOD transfer to HQ. She is still a bitch today, school is still trying to groom her but I made a promise to myself to keep her in check and from time to time remind her RO don’t believe in everything she say. Can’t believe I took up leadership role due to her but motivation really appear in all sorts of manner.
Old 02-04-2023, 12:36 PM
Unregistered

Err….you just putted yourself yeah? External vendor personal friend Conflict of interest unless you already declared.

Quote:
Old 02-04-2023, 12:54 PM
Unregistered

Errr its collaboration with an external organisation not a vendor…