Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment - Page 731 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #7301 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2022, 10:08 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi all, is it hard to get promoted from associate to senior in audit? What are the requirements to be promoted to senior if say i join as A2 straight out of sch?

Reply With Quote
  #7302 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2022, 10:09 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all, is it hard to get promoted from associate to senior in audit? What are the requirements to be promoted to senior if say i join as A2 straight out of sch?
Wait for 2024. It is that simple

Reply With Quote
  #7303 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2022, 10:43 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Exclamation

Hi I'm the poster from NUS with a FCH..

I just spoke to my career coach from LinkedIn, she said that it's indeed a road less traveled but there are massive rewards to be reaped at the end of the journey. For example, partnership is lucrative in a mid tier and big 4. Therefore, why not take the road that maximizes your chances of entering partnership with lower calibre competitors? I have always heard that the Big 4 is a scary place, especially since there are extremely competent people (mostly from Malaysia and Vietnam)

Reply With Quote
  #7304 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2022, 10:48 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Is fresh graduate vs experienced hire w less than a year having the same pay for associate1?
Reply With Quote
  #7305 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2022, 10:50 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi I'm the poster from NUS with a FCH..

I just spoke to my career coach from LinkedIn, she said that it's indeed a road less traveled but there are massive rewards to be reaped at the end of the journey. For example, partnership is lucrative in a mid tier and big 4. Therefore, why not take the road that maximizes your chances of entering partnership with lower calibre competitors? I have always heard that the Big 4 is a scary place, especially since there are extremely competent people (mostly from Malaysia and Vietnam)
You, or your career coach, are delusional. The assumption about being a big fish in a small pond does not hold true because the traits necessary to become a partner, in a small firm no less, are quite different from the traits that enabled you to obtain your FCH.

Mid tiers and small firms are also extremely insular and idiosyncratic. So what if you are a technical expert? They will forever dangle the prospect of partnership in front of you. Meanwhile, the partner's son or son-in-law comes in and immediately leapfrogs you for the spot.

To forego an objectively better starting employer, based on your flawed assumption, is very unwise.

The more logical choice as a fresh grad would be to get into the most prestigious and highest calibre employer at the outset. Because your career options expand significantly down the line.

Also, the competency of Malaysians in Big 4, is just lol.
Reply With Quote
  #7306 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2022, 11:19 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi I'm the poster from NUS with a FCH..

I just spoke to my career coach from LinkedIn, she said that it's indeed a road less traveled but there are massive rewards to be reaped at the end of the journey. For example, partnership is lucrative in a mid tier and big 4. Therefore, why not take the road that maximizes your chances of entering partnership with lower calibre competitors? I have always heard that the Big 4 is a scary place, especially since there are extremely competent people (mostly from Malaysia and Vietnam)
Mid tier senior over here. Can only tell you FCH from NUS doesnít mean anything in mid tier once you joined. I myself came from a private u but I have peers from the same batch, coming from big3 uni, that donít get promoted and remained as associates. Some of them are even working under me now. Also, keep in mind that the bond in mid tier will make you miserable. You canít quit as and when you want.

The mid tier that Iím in is mostly packed with jhk. Youíll be feeling like an outsider in your own country. You think itís easy to climb up when their whole kampong is here?

Think again if you want to come to mid tier.
Reply With Quote

  #7307 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2022, 11:23 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You, or your career coach, are delusional. The assumption about being a big fish in a small pond does not hold true because the traits necessary to become a partner, in a small firm no less, are quite different from the traits that enabled you to obtain your FCH.

Mid tiers and small firms are also extremely insular and idiosyncratic. So what if you are a technical expert? They will forever dangle the prospect of partnership in front of you. Meanwhile, the partner's son or son-in-law comes in and immediately leapfrogs you for the spot.

To forego an objectively better starting employer, based on your flawed assumption, is very unwise.

The more logical choice as a fresh grad would be to get into the most prestigious and highest calibre employer at the outset. Because your career options expand significantly down the line.

Also, the competency of Malaysians in Big 4, is just lol.
Very true. A good start is very important (if you can). Dont self pwn.

Audit is a common dumping ground now. Go get a better job. Will mid tiers pay u 2.8?

My market research is jhk less than 2.5k. U want to compete? Local u fch.
Reply With Quote
  #7308 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2022, 11:26 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi I'm the poster from NUS with a FCH..

I just spoke to my career coach from LinkedIn, she said that it's indeed a road less traveled but there are massive rewards to be reaped at the end of the journey. For example, partnership is lucrative in a mid tier and big 4. Therefore, why not take the road that maximizes your chances of entering partnership with lower calibre competitors? I have always heard that the Big 4 is a scary place, especially since there are extremely competent people (mostly from Malaysia and Vietnam)
Your career coach from Linkedin? You are sure you are from NUS accounting? Why are you listening to some coach / recruiter that knows nothing. If you are, and as your senior from NUS Acc, just listen to the friendly advice here.

Ignore whatever crap you have heard from your linkedin coach. I am not sure how you get your FCH when you have such poor listening and reasoning skills.

Go speak to NUS bizcareer advisors. The career advisor team is arguably the best among the three unis, as NUS Business School has its own career services (away from NUS) unlike business school in NTU and SMU which is using the same career services team for the whole schooll. I am not sure why you are seeking help from some linkedin coach when you have the (arguably) best team at your service. And you are FCH, they are more than happy to help you and get your interview coach and case study coach. But you need to engage them and let them know what you are looking for and what help you need.

3 things that you can and should do:
1. Apply for the audit or other roles at big 4 instead. If those roles are not available publicly on big4 websites for this cycle, seek it via the bizcareer services. They will be able to pull some strings for you.
2. Apply for other roles outside big 4 instead. You would have missed the cycle and have to join the cycle for next year. Think of what else you want to do. Speak to bizcareer services and see if it makes sense to apply for next year cycle or it will be an issue
3. Potentially, delay your graduation. Go do a 6 month internship or two 6 month internship in other firms (depending on your interest). If you think you like investment or IB, see if you can try to get the Lazard, State Street or other 6 months internship that are available. Use that to build portfolio and get another job instead.
Reply With Quote
  #7309 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2022, 11:29 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Mid tier senior over here. Can only tell you FCH from NUS doesnít mean anything in mid tier once you joined. I myself came from a private u but I have peers from the same batch, coming from big3 uni, that donít get promoted and remained as associates. Some of them are even working under me now. Also, keep in mind that the bond in mid tier will make you miserable. You canít quit as and when you want.

The mid tier that Iím in is mostly packed with jhk. Youíll be feeling like an outsider in your own country. You think itís easy to climb up when their whole kampong is here?

Think again if you want to come to mid tier.

Being sub par will do. Dont try to stand out.
Reply With Quote
  #7310 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2022, 11:32 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi I'm the poster from NUS with a FCH..
Is this what happens when the cut-off to enter business school drops off? Even FCH quality is poor.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Salary Increment to be 5.2% Salary.sg Income and Jobs 1 25-09-2021 07:24 PM
Yearly increment Button Income and Jobs 29 06-01-2018 09:43 PM
Annual Increment for Civil Service 2011 bswuming87 Income and Jobs 4 10-04-2011 09:19 PM
Annual Increment 1nch3r Income and Jobs 0 12-11-2010 12:36 AM
Can your Increment beat Inflation? Salary.sg Investments and Net Worth 9 24-04-2008 03:37 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,830 Replies, 2,310,416 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,352 Replies, 1,168,291 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,124 Replies, 5,114,369 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
331 Replies, 380,889 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,212 Replies, 6,852,820 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,047 Replies, 1,089,713 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,812 Replies, 1,580,950 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
21,162 Replies, 10,478,324 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
751 Replies, 416,572 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,685 Replies, 2,394,936 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,164 Replies, 3,809,509 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,827 Replies, 1,449,731 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,508 Replies, 1,404,387 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,903 Replies, 4,733,555 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,285 Replies, 640,182 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,353 Replies, 3,467,702 Views
Work culture in CPF board ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
35 Replies, 78,199 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
723 Replies, 555,454 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
419 Replies, 502,816 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,441 Replies, 12,607,802 Views
Julius Baer Graduate Program 2023 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
31 Replies, 17,038 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,768 Replies, 1,519,841 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,489 Replies, 807,202 Views
Maritime and Port Authority of... ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 20,269 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
825 Replies, 390,678 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
323 Replies, 328,492 Views
DBS ACE Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
163 Replies, 83,323 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,057 Replies, 452,751 Views
ITE (lecturer) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
279 Replies, 393,728 Views
Any Ministry or Statboard still... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 12,722 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 06:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2