Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment

Old 29-04-2023, 03:10 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
yes, but if u retract, let them know early coz they need to hire new ppl.
i heard got people no show - meaning that they just dun come during their employment start date.
this will burn bridge.
so must tell them early and reason why. Just say u found a career that better suit your future goals.

if u r from local uni, the retraction rate is damn high. coz nobody wanna waste time in lousy company with lousy employees from all over the private uni and some diploma holders.
sry to say, i also want to work with more competent people with good work ethics.
Oh ok, thanks! Wasn't intending to mention the reason to them but I guess I will.

Old 29-04-2023, 03:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
When we talk about exit opportunities we are talking about the potential roles u can do after IA. IA is just about internal control systems of a company and its exit roles are mainly compliance/internal audit. Basically, if u are from IA, u are sort of locked in for compliance roles and u cant go for other finance roles like FP&A, CFO, accountant.

But yeah if u are very sure that u want compliance roles as your end game. Then is okay to do it now but just take note the market for IA roles are not as huge because these roles are not required in all companies unless u are listed.
Is compliance a good area to exit to?

Old 29-04-2023, 04:09 PM
Unregistered

Default ff

Quote:
Is compliance a good area to exit to?
not really. have to keep up with all the laws.
i think risk is good coz can go up to chief risk officer.

but CFO also hard to go up luh.
but but FPnA is not easy too.

see how. i think i will go risk bah

Old 29-04-2023, 06:18 PM
Rajeshara

Quote:
not really. have to keep up with all the laws.
i think risk is good coz can go up to chief risk officer.

but CFO also hard to go up luh.
but but FPnA is not easy too.

see how. i think i will go risk bah
good choice. Happy for you to join our big family
Old 29-04-2023, 07:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
yes, but if u retract, let them know early coz they need to hire new ppl.
i heard got people no show - meaning that they just dun come during their employment start date.
this will burn bridge.
so must tell them early and reason why. Just say u found a career that better suit your future goals.

if u r from local uni, the retraction rate is damn high. coz nobody wanna waste time in lousy company with lousy employees from all over the private uni and some diploma holders.
sry to say, i also want to work with more competent people with good work ethics.
This gentlemen/mdm here is stating the fact. The accting industry is gg downhill thanks to the agreement old monkies in audit just want to go low cost. They are killing the profession. He/she is true with audut having a lot of incompetent and horrible work ethics ppl. the result and where u from can say much abt u. When comes to work the quality is very lacking. Now the b4 even go poly grab ppl.
Old 29-04-2023, 10:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
This gentlemen/mdm here is stating the fact. The accting industry is gg downhill thanks to the agreement old monkies in audit just want to go low cost. They are killing the profession. He/she is true with audut having a lot of incompetent and horrible work ethics ppl. the result and where u from can say much abt u. When comes to work the quality is very lacking. Now the b4 even go poly grab ppl.
Agreed. I am a former big4 staff. Started more than a decade ago. Personally witnessed the deterioration over the years. Increasing number of new hires that don't seem to be sufficiently knowledgeable in accounting rules. Accounting students from NTU / NUS / those who completed ACCA, tend to be more competent. I suspect that the accounting curriculum in other schools may have neglected technical concepts and instead focus on presentation / debating in classes.

With respect to your cost management point, it is not entirely management's fault too. The competitive audit market in Singapore has been pressuring firms' revenue. The equities capital markets in Singapore has been lackluster ever since the end of S-chips IPO era. Accounting firms undercut one another, resulting in lower audit fees being charged over time. From my experience back in 2016, another big 4 firm had undercut my firm by more than 50% in audit fees just to woo a large public listed company. Let's not talk about the increasing number of rules and technical complexities being piled on the accounting standards over time, further adding onto cost. Perhaps, regulatory intervention into the business/operations side of audit in Singapore may be required at some stage.

Old 29-04-2023, 11:10 PM
Unregistered

Default b

Quote:
Ya. im the gentleman u are taking about.
Yes. Accting industry is going downhill because of high workload and low pay.

ISCA and SAC even sent people to my school and ask for ways to make accounting more attractive. This is rubbish. ISCA and SAC dun know HR management? Why are they so dumb. They keep making talks asking for inputs but no action was done.

Audit is actually a good thing but these monkeys trying to make costs low, hire all sorts of weird people. People from private, from poly from anywhere else. Even those with no accounting background, they are hiring too.

It is so common these days where audit failures are on the news. They know these are the problems but did nothing to solve it. They should make high barrier of entry. Increase audit pricing and make those companies pay for it. This can help to make audit profession a premium rather than a dog life.

As compared to investment banking. Yes, investment bankers OT a lot. But their pay are more than triple that of auditors. However, the bankers hours are not tripled of auditors.

I have personally worked with so many incompetent dumbos when i was an intern in big4. I cant believe the work that ive done is far more superior than my A1 or A2. That is such a disgrace. Some A2 dun even have work ethics. They just come work to chat with friends all day and also didn't do vouching, just copy paste the amounts from the General ledger and take it as vouched.

This is all because of the selection in hiring process. They need people and hire all sorts of rubbish. In addition, due to the low pay, people lacked motivation to work harder. Some dun even have their concepts right. How to audit without knowledge?

Other than audit, all local uni are looking into investment banking / risk / consulting / banking / compliance / etc.

anything is also better than external audit. But definitely, external audit exit opportunities are still better than some banking roles and internal auditors. This is kind of sad. Incompetent people are exiting with better opportunities? LOL. ok i think if a gem can shine, it will shine anywhere. A rubbish will somehow go to bin. >
Old 29-04-2023, 11:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
For Big 4 tech consulting, what is the salary progression? Is it similar to this:

SaT
A1 - 4k
A2 - 4.5k
S1 - 5.5k
S2 - 6k
M1 - 7.6k
M2 - 8.4k
M3 - 9.2k
AD1 - 10.6k
It starts at 4.5k for Ey tech consulting. I think A2 is 4.8k,but
Not sure about the rest
Old 30-04-2023, 12:17 AM
leo xin ting

Quote:
I have personally worked with so many incompetent dumbos when i was an intern in big4. I cant believe the work that ive done is far more superior than my A1 or A2. That is such a disgrace. Some A2 dun even have work ethics. They just come work to chat with friends all day and also didn't do vouching, just copy paste the amounts from the General ledger and take it as vouched.

This is all because of the selection in hiring process. They need people and hire all sorts of rubbish. In addition, due to the low pay, people lacked motivation to work harder. Some dun even have their concepts right. How to audit without knowledge?
Are you malaysian JHK? Because I dont see u shooting them when majority of our auditors are from tunku, sunway, multimedia universiti
Old 30-04-2023, 12:31 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo xin ting View Post
Are you malaysian JHK? Because I dont see u shooting them when majority of our auditors are from tunku, sunway, multimedia universiti
no im Singaporean sg local uni
yes i hate jhk too.
sry to say, most of them are incompetent.
but only some are competent.

and wth their English....
they shud pay more tax.