Do most MNCs pay better than the civil service - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Do most MNCs pay better than the civil service

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 20-05-2020, 10:39 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 8
ilovemoney is on a distinguished road
Default Do most MNCs pay better than the civil service

I'll be graduating soon from a local uni (FCH) and I'm still unsure of what I want to do. I was wondering which pays better in general: a generic role in a MNC (HR/comms/business development etc) or a policy role in the civil service? I'm not a govt scholar BTW, so I'm worried about progression in the civil service as well. Would love some advice, thank you!

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 20-05-2020, 11:33 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I think the work and culture in private sector and public sector are fairly different. It might not be easy to make a switch to private sector since the work experience might be different. Made this mistake in my choosing first job, as I chose my first job based on salary. Would be good to know what you want to achieve in 5 to 10 years and work backwards from there



SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 20-05-2020, 11:36 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemoney View Post
I'll be graduating soon from a local uni (FCH) and I'm still unsure of what I want to do. I was wondering which pays better in general: a generic role in a MNC (HR/comms/business development etc) or a policy role in the civil service? I'm not a govt scholar BTW, so I'm worried about progression in the civil service as well. Would love some advice, thank you!
What did you study? Any job offers so far? We can advise better if you are able to provide the information.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 20-05-2020, 11:37 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What did you study? Any job offers so far? We can advise better if you are able to provide the information.
To add on, if you have gotten job offers, how much was offered to you?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 21-05-2020, 12:15 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I can only speak for the FMCG industry.

MA Programmes and Graduate Schemes typically pay a gross of $4,375 +/- throughout the tenure. There are no pay differentials according to the classification of honours, everyone is paid the same. Promotions and bonuses thereafter will be dependent on your department posted to with the usuals like Ariba analysts on the top bracket while marcomm down below at the bottom.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 21-05-2020, 01:30 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 8
ilovemoney is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think the work and culture in private sector and public sector are fairly different. It might not be easy to make a switch to private sector since the work experience might be different. Made this mistake in my choosing first job, as I chose my first job based on salary. Would be good to know what you want to achieve in 5 to 10 years and work backwards from there
Honestly, I don't really have any career ambition whatsoever lol, I just hope to lead a comfortable life and support my parents in their retirement. I've read that to earn a lot in the private sector, I'll have to be among roughly the top 10% in performance and be thick-skinned in asking for promotions. To be very honest I don't think I'm capable of that. On the other hand, I've read that a FCH gets you pretty far in the civil service even with average performance, so I thought that'd be a safer choice. All that I've written is from reading the forums though, so they might not be entirely accurate.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 21-05-2020, 01:33 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 8
ilovemoney is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
To add on, if you have gotten job offers, how much was offered to you?
Nope, I haven't applied yet (bad idea). If it helps, I did a HR internship at a FMCG MNC last year ($1.5k). I was also offered an internship at a ministry which I rejected ($1k).
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 21-05-2020, 01:34 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 8
ilovemoney is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemoney View Post
Nope, I haven't applied yet (bad idea). If it helps, I did a HR internship at a FMCG MNC last year ($1.5k). I was also offered an internship at a ministry which I rejected ($1k).
Oops, forgot to add, I'm from FASS
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 21-05-2020, 06:51 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemoney View Post
Honestly, I don't really have any career ambition whatsoever lol, I just hope to lead a comfortable life and support my parents in their retirement. I've read that to earn a lot in the private sector, I'll have to be among roughly the top 10% in performance and be thick-skinned in asking for promotions. To be very honest I don't think I'm capable of that. On the other hand, I've read that a FCH gets you pretty far in the civil service even with average performance, so I thought that'd be a safer choice. All that I've written is from reading the forums though, so they might not be entirely accurate.
Last line is intriguing...LOL

Me: not sure if forum info is accurate
Also me: let me get confirmation in forum
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 21-05-2020, 11:29 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Last line is intriguing...LOL

Me: not sure if forum info is accurate
Also me: let me get confirmation in forum
HAHAHAHHA this made my day
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transfer of service within civil service DJC Income and Jobs 2 17-05-2017 09:43 AM
Civil service question Mammoth Income and Jobs 2 03-04-2015 02:15 AM
Civil Service: Non-Graduates to join Civil Service under same scheme as Graduates temp111 Income and Jobs 4 12-03-2015 10:23 AM
Pay Nego with Civil Service uturn Income and Jobs 6 09-06-2013 07:59 PM
From civil service to banks alwaysnforever Income and Jobs 25 08-06-2013 08:06 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,593 Replies, 3,074,636 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,710 Replies, 5,917,412 Views
HSBC Graduate Programme 2021
1 Replies, 100 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,151 Replies, 1,333,295 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
868 Replies, 258,842 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,718 Replies, 1,131,896 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,461 Replies, 980,085 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,877 Replies, 1,754,279 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
109 Replies, 45,627 Views
Equity Research jobs
3 Replies, 289 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,022 Replies, 814,681 Views
Working in HDB ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
351 Replies, 280,339 Views
E-Reading apps for kids
2 Replies, 1,668 Views
PCB design course
3 Replies, 189 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
458 Replies, 317,093 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
245 Replies, 224,688 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,405 Replies, 2,009,767 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,047 Replies, 3,844,259 Views
NUS working environment and pay... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
90 Replies, 74,396 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)...
9 Replies, 5,727 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,002 Replies, 1,144,635 Views
High loan approval for business...
3 Replies, 623 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,765 Replies, 829,228 Views
How to start a small business ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 2,199 Views
Third Party Contract From... ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 2,499 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
334 Replies, 114,070 Views
Should I switch to a higher paying... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
32 Replies, 3,267 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,394 Replies, 588,722 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
224 Replies, 137,105 Views
Prospects of an economics degree ( 1 2 3)
25 Replies, 12,336 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 03:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2