Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Do most MNCs pay better than the civil service (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/12661-do-most-mncs-pay-better-than-civil-service.html)

ilovemoney 20-05-2020 10:39 PM

Do most MNCs pay better than the civil service
 
I'll be graduating soon from a local uni (FCH) and I'm still unsure of what I want to do. I was wondering which pays better in general: a generic role in a MNC (HR/comms/business development etc) or a policy role in the civil service? I'm not a govt scholar BTW, so I'm worried about progression in the civil service as well. Would love some advice, thank you!

Unregistered 20-05-2020 11:33 PM

I think the work and culture in private sector and public sector are fairly different. It might not be easy to make a switch to private sector since the work experience might be different. Made this mistake in my choosing first job, as I chose my first job based on salary. Would be good to know what you want to achieve in 5 to 10 years and work backwards from there

Unregistered 20-05-2020 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemoney (Post 134728)
I'll be graduating soon from a local uni (FCH) and I'm still unsure of what I want to do. I was wondering which pays better in general: a generic role in a MNC (HR/comms/business development etc) or a policy role in the civil service? I'm not a govt scholar BTW, so I'm worried about progression in the civil service as well. Would love some advice, thank you!

What did you study? Any job offers so far? We can advise better if you are able to provide the information.

Unregistered 20-05-2020 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134735)
What did you study? Any job offers so far? We can advise better if you are able to provide the information.

To add on, if you have gotten job offers, how much was offered to you?

Unregistered 21-05-2020 12:15 AM

I can only speak for the FMCG industry.

MA Programmes and Graduate Schemes typically pay a gross of $4,375 +/- throughout the tenure. There are no pay differentials according to the classification of honours, everyone is paid the same. Promotions and bonuses thereafter will be dependent on your department posted to with the usuals like Ariba analysts on the top bracket while marcomm down below at the bottom.

ilovemoney 21-05-2020 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134734)
I think the work and culture in private sector and public sector are fairly different. It might not be easy to make a switch to private sector since the work experience might be different. Made this mistake in my choosing first job, as I chose my first job based on salary. Would be good to know what you want to achieve in 5 to 10 years and work backwards from there

Honestly, I don't really have any career ambition whatsoever lol, I just hope to lead a comfortable life and support my parents in their retirement. I've read that to earn a lot in the private sector, I'll have to be among roughly the top 10% in performance and be thick-skinned in asking for promotions. To be very honest I don't think I'm capable of that. On the other hand, I've read that a FCH gets you pretty far in the civil service even with average performance, so I thought that'd be a safer choice. All that I've written is from reading the forums though, so they might not be entirely accurate.

ilovemoney 21-05-2020 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134736)
To add on, if you have gotten job offers, how much was offered to you?

Nope, I haven't applied yet (bad idea). If it helps, I did a HR internship at a FMCG MNC last year ($1.5k). I was also offered an internship at a ministry which I rejected ($1k).

ilovemoney 21-05-2020 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemoney (Post 134759)
Nope, I haven't applied yet (bad idea). If it helps, I did a HR internship at a FMCG MNC last year ($1.5k). I was also offered an internship at a ministry which I rejected ($1k).

Oops, forgot to add, I'm from FASS

Unregistered 21-05-2020 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemoney (Post 134758)
Honestly, I don't really have any career ambition whatsoever lol, I just hope to lead a comfortable life and support my parents in their retirement. I've read that to earn a lot in the private sector, I'll have to be among roughly the top 10% in performance and be thick-skinned in asking for promotions. To be very honest I don't think I'm capable of that. On the other hand, I've read that a FCH gets you pretty far in the civil service even with average performance, so I thought that'd be a safer choice. All that I've written is from reading the forums though, so they might not be entirely accurate.

Last line is intriguing...LOL

Me: not sure if forum info is accurate
Also me: let me get confirmation in forum

Unregistered 21-05-2020 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134781)
Last line is intriguing...LOL

Me: not sure if forum info is accurate
Also me: let me get confirmation in forum

HAHAHAHHA this made my day


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2