Software developers salary outlier - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Software developers salary outlier

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2019, 08:41 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 3
eren_jaeger is on a distinguished road
Default Software developers salary outlier

Hello, I recently heard from a recruiter from an agency (He was trying to push an offer to me) that there are software developers out there who are earning way above market salary and he told me is not uncommon.
For example, he said there is a developer who had no programming degree/background and commands a salary of $6.5k per month after 2 years into the industry. There is another developer who had 4 years experience and is now drawing close to $10k per month. Is this normal? How did these people manage to convince the company to pay them that much?

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2019, 09:07 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 7
Dude333 is on a distinguished road
Default

Yes he is right, but it is an outlier (less than top 5 percent). How to convince them? You need to have a good skillsets. But I believe normally this people without programming background can pick up quickly because they have a high IQ (they are normally good at math during uni time).

For the person with 4 years exp, it is possible to command 10k but you should be good at management as well (being a leader) not only programming unless you are working at FANG companies.

It is like insurance, you dont need a degree, but if you are at the top of 5 percent, you can easily draw 200k regardless of your exp.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-08-2019, 06:13 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eren_jaeger View Post
Hello, I recently heard from a recruiter from an agency (He was trying to push an offer to me) that there are software developers out there who are earning way above market salary and he told me is not uncommon.
For example, he said there is a developer who had no programming degree/background and commands a salary of $6.5k per month after 2 years into the industry. There is another developer who had 4 years experience and is now drawing close to $10k per month. Is this normal? How did these people manage to convince the company to pay them that much?
2 years into the industry and you can absolutely go for 7/8k a month jobs on software.

Lets say grab 5.5k starting, 1 year in with a raise to 6.2k, and another year in you can jump to another company with 20% increase to your 7.5k

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 13-08-2019, 10:13 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
2 years into the industry and you can absolutely go for 7/8k a month jobs on software.

Lets say grab 5.5k starting, 1 year in with a raise to 6.2k, and another year in you can jump to another company with 20% increase to your 7.5k
Hypothetically speaking yes, but what skillset warrant a 20% jump? Its either the person is really good at what he does or his skillset is super in demand.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 13-08-2019, 10:40 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

hi, it is possible.

You need to choose the correct company and you must display leadership qualities as well as technical skillset.

1st year - ~5k
3rd year - ~7.5k
5th year - ~9.5k
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 14-08-2019, 11:01 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Yep cause there startup with lots of funding that pay this crazy high pay but normal MNC excluding FANG doesn't pay that well for average to above average people unless you are really really good.

However, from recent news of honestbee (which pay really well) you have to be prepared to have no pay since most of these companies stay afloat from their fundings not profit.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 14-08-2019, 11:03 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hi, it is possible.

You need to choose the correct company and you must display leadership qualities as well as technical skillset.

1st year - ~5k
3rd year - ~7.5k
5th year - ~9.5k
It is similar to the construction industry. If you are just the builder aka contruction worker for software, there is no way you can get such pay. You have to have the architect skills and problem solving skills.

India produce lots of software developer but most of them are construction level skill. So if you are at that skill level, you have lots of competition hence your pay won't be high.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 21-08-2019, 11:26 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yep cause there startup with lots of funding that pay this crazy high pay but normal MNC excluding FANG doesn't pay that well for average to above average people unless you are really really good.

However, from recent news of honestbee (which pay really well) you have to be prepared to have no pay since most of these companies stay afloat from their fundings not profit.
FWIW, Stan Chart 5.5k, DBS ~4.5k (i can be wrong), Citi ~5k for software starting.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 17-09-2020, 08:25 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default It depends on the skills, experience, and lication

Salaries are very very different. According to Glassdoor, a Silicon-Valley-based senior can charge make up to $120,000/yr. But a junior from Mexico makes almost 10 times less - $13,500/yr. The skills are also important:
DevOps Engineer $130,000
Embedded Software Developer $82,000
CRM developer $77,000
Mobile application development $73,000
ERP solution development $69,000
(The salaries are for the USA).
Source: s://bridgeteams.com/blog/average-software-developer-salary/
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 17-09-2020, 09:24 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 10
coldstew2k is on a distinguished road
Default

if you count RPA as software as well.
I start this Feb as jr dev 3k
I was promoted this month to sr dev 4k with 8 months experience.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
salary range, software developer

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Salary for M.tech software engg grads? isaac12345 Income and Jobs 6 18-11-2017 10:43 AM
Any web designers / developers here? Have some salary questions Nik Income and Jobs 6 17-05-2015 12:54 PM
Fresh software grad job salary becks Income and Jobs 4 11-11-2013 07:33 PM
salary for software engineer fred Income and Jobs 3 29-05-2013 10:10 AM
Salary for 5+ Yrs Exp Software Developer C++, Windows yamurthy Income and Jobs 10 09-10-2010 01:51 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,087 Replies, 3,879,932 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,722 Replies, 3,164,740 Views
Mid-Year Civil Servant Bonus 2020 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
90 Replies, 20,237 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,006 Replies, 277,787 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,452 Replies, 2,045,483 Views
How much do you need to retire... ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 2,412 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,886 Replies, 6,016,024 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program...
6 Replies, 3,139 Views
GovTech career grade ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
134 Replies, 167,713 Views
Banker or Financial Advisor Career...
9 Replies, 1,139 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
157 Replies, 40,182 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
145 Replies, 53,859 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
250 Replies, 229,876 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
422 Replies, 276,370 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
121 Replies, 46,874 Views
Python programmer skillz and pay
3 Replies, 334 Views
What are your struggles having...
0 Replies, 124 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
485 Replies, 107,607 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,944 Replies, 1,805,193 Views
You Can Buy Happiness
8 Replies, 6,703 Views
I need advice
3 Replies, 500 Views
Sharing my Passive and Active...
8 Replies, 2,171 Views
Anyone work in AVA Animal Health... ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 5,989 Views
How much does a typical FP&A... ( 1 2 3)
24 Replies, 1,867 Views
Feeling helpless, need advice... ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 6,359 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,040 Replies, 831,018 Views
Advice for SAF regular pls
8 Replies, 696 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2