Uni dilemma, please help - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff




Uni dilemma, please help

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 20-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5
student1994 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Uni dilemma, please help

Hi all,
I am still in a dilemma at this point of time as I am unable to decide what I should study at university.
I have these offers: Real Estate at NUS, Law at University of Leeds and Commerce at ANU and UniMelb.
I know this should be a personal decision, but i would like to hear you guys opinions as I am torn between the above options(career options, worklife balance etc.)
As some basic background info, I do not have any course which i like more than the other. Basically, I do not love any particular course that much, but I know which areas I totally do not have any interest in (eg. engineering/science )
Also, would like to know at Ministry of Law is reviewing the current list of approved schools, how would I be affected if they decide to take Leeds off the list.

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 20-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Millionaire Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 275
Hermit is on a distinguished road
Default

Questions you can ask yourself:

(1) Can I see myself as a lawyer? Do I think I like doing litigation? Corporate law? Being a legal counsel in some company drafting agreements and contracts? Have I spoken to friends or relative in the legal sector - do they seem happy with their work?

(2) Do I know what my interests are? Will a general business degree be a reasonble foundation for me to start off on, then perhaps accumulate experience in some sector?

(3) Do I know enough about the Real Estate sector? Is it too narrow?

(4) Do I want to study abroad? Will a Leeds or ANU degree give me some advantage? Or is it better to be in NUS and maintain the friendships and network I have with my JC mates?

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 21-06-2013, 08:54 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5
student1994 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Questions you can ask yourself:

(1) Can I see myself as a lawyer? Do I think I like doing litigation? Corporate law? Being a legal counsel in some company drafting agreements and contracts? Have I spoken to friends or relative in the legal sector - do they seem happy with their work?

(2) Do I know what my interests are? Will a general business degree be a reasonble foundation for me to start off on, then perhaps accumulate experience in some sector?

(3) Do I know enough about the Real Estate sector? Is it too narrow?

(4) Do I want to study abroad? Will a Leeds or ANU degree give me some advantage? Or is it better to be in NUS and maintain the friendships and network I have with my JC mates?
(1): I am pretty sure that if I were to study law, I would not want to do litigation due to the long hours involved and I am more of a family person. That being said, I hope to specialize in corporate law if possible or perhaps study international law so that I can work in the UN or NGOs. I personally enjoy reading so I believe I would not suffer to much in the course. As for speaking to friends and family, no one in my family is a lawyer. However, seniors I have spoken to are still studying so the advice they can give me is more towards life in law school, such as having to do lots of reading and self study in advance.


(2): I do not intend to get a business degree but a commerce degree and choose my major as accountancy and finance. As of yet, uni melb and anu are not approved schools on the new QP system so I'm not sure it's worth doing so. Having said that, I feel that due to my family background and early exposure to the world of finance (due to parents) I have actually have got a greater picture of the finance world( I read up on stocks, bonds, ETFs and such) Only concern is that I am scared accounting work is over repetitive and I may end up being bored in the future.

(3) real estate is something unique to me in the sense that I never knew such a course existed till recently after my A level results. Surprisingly, I ended up quite liking the course, hence I am even considering it now even though it is a non professional degree. I have seen the course modules and generally feel that I am interested in them (which should increase my probability of doing well?)
Only doubt I have is that it is not a professional course and am I making a wrong decision to give up my overseas offers just to study this in singapore. Any input from Real estate people?

(4) I honestly have a yes-no relationship as for studying abroad. As for yes, I feel that as I am quite sheltered in singapore, I would like to experience living away from home. Though my parents said that it is not as 'awesome' as I'd think so when I'm trying to study for exams and balance all other household chores etc. I also would like to do so and meet new people! Like perhaps just have a break from the singapore education system? As for no, I am honestly scared to stay away from my family for the next 3 years as I think I may be homesick having come from a closely knit family. I believe I would still be able to keep in touch with some of my jc friends in any case. However, as we are all going to different courses in singapore, it's hard to stick to them always.

Would like to ask, is Leeds for law respectable in employers eyes? Like it is usually seen as the lower tier schools for law in uk vs Oxbridge ucl lse etc. how is the local employability for such overseas law grads be? How about australia for commerce? Does it give employees the feeling that you are unable to make in into local uni and hence considering options in Aussie? (no offence to anyone, that is the general stereotypical view i get after asking people :/)I hope you guys can give me honest responses thank you

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 23-06-2013, 07:24 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 204
warning can only hope to improve
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by student1994 View Post
I have these offers: Real Estate at NUS, Law at University of Leeds and Commerce at ANU and UniMelb.
I would choose law at Leeds because of the better prospects.
Why didn't you try commerce at UNSW or USyd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by student1994 View Post
Also, would like to know at Ministry of Law is reviewing the current list of approved schools, how would I be affected if they decide to take Leeds off the list.
Very unlikely. They have been expanding the list, NOT reducing!!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 23-06-2013, 09:54 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Singapore Law Watch - It took four years to learn I'm no lawyer

I think this article can inform TS on the realities of law practice in Singapore. Even an above average NUS Law student is having difficulties getting into Corporate Law.

"I had hoped to join one of the big firms, but since I finished only above average in my law class, that didn't happen - the big guys took in mainly the best graduates and, it seemed, the pedigreed.

The rest of us ended up in smaller firms and had two choices - to do conveyancing (dealing with people buying or selling property) or litigation (everything else under the sun). Mergers and acquisitions, hostile takeovers, corporate litigation and other sexy legal stuff did not usually happen at the smaller firms."

I think the TS would agree that the University of Leeds isn't exactly your first-tier UK approved university, so I would think that it can be difficult for TS if you are aiming to specialise in an area that all the best and brightest are aiming for.


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 25-06-2013, 08:48 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5
student1994 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warning View Post
I would choose law at Leeds because of the better prospects.
Why didn't you try commerce at UNSW or USyd?



Very unlikely. They have been expanding the list, NOT reducing!!
Thanks for you reply, I didn't try unsw because my parents didn't really like that school. And I didn't do well enough to make it into usyd. I am kinda worried for law as I feel that law is an elitist profession where the name of the uni matters alot and Leeds may not be able to give me the edge. Still considering and thanks alot
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 25-06-2013, 08:51 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5
student1994 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Singapore Law Watch - It took four years to learn I'm no lawyer

I think this article can inform TS on the realities of law practice in Singapore. Even an above average NUS Law student is having difficulties getting into Corporate Law.

"I had hoped to join one of the big firms, but since I finished only above average in my law class, that didn't happen - the big guys took in mainly the best graduates and, it seemed, the pedigreed.

The rest of us ended up in smaller firms and had two choices - to do conveyancing (dealing with people buying or selling property) or litigation (everything else under the sun). Mergers and acquisitions, hostile takeovers, corporate litigation and other sexy legal stuff did not usually happen at the smaller firms."

I think the TS would agree that the University of Leeds isn't exactly your first-tier UK approved university, so I would think that it can be difficult for TS if you are aiming to specialise in an area that all the best and brightest are aiming for.

Thank you for your reply. Yep, I read the exact same article a few weeks back in the Sunday times too. So is it right to say that if I were to do law in uk I would have to excel extremely well (ie 1:1) to make up for the university reputation in order to be able to specialize in a popular area?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 25-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi Student1994

Getting a first would be a huge achievement, since Law professors don't usually give above a certain mark for Law - unlike the more quantitative subjects like engineering and science.

As difficult as it is to get a first in Law, there would always be a large number of Singaporeans getting a first due to the sheer number of Singaporeans studying law in the UK. In 2012, the London schools' and Bristol took in at least 40 law students each. There are also a large number of Law students in Notts, Exeter and Durham. In Singapore, there are about 9-10 local middle to large law-firms specializing in an area that I believe you would be interested in. Even in an optimistic economy, I do not think that the number of pupillage places between this places would exceed 250. Factoring the 400 graduates from the local universities, I think you should really consider your options.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 25-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5
student1994 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi Student1994

Getting a first would be a huge achievement, since Law professors don't usually give above a certain mark for Law - unlike the more quantitative subjects like engineering and science.

As difficult as it is to get a first in Law, there would always be a large number of Singaporeans getting a first due to the sheer number of Singaporeans studying law in the UK. In 2012, the London schools' and Bristol took in at least 40 law students each. There are also a large number of Law students in Notts, Exeter and Durham. In Singapore, there are about 9-10 local middle to large law-firms specializing in an area that I believe you would be interested in. Even in an optimistic economy, I do not think that the number of pupillage places between this places would exceed 250. Factoring the 400 graduates from the local universities, I think you should really consider your options.


Thanks for your truthful reply. I am glad to know more and have a realistic picture painted for me. This is because so far whenever I consult others, a very rosy picture of law is being painted for me due to people's perceptions of pursuing a law degree(being prestigious and what not). I would certainly consider your views greatly as I believe this is a huge investment to undertake (both time and money). Once again, I hope potential law students could come across this post and see the true picture of what a law degree entails
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2014, 12:42 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by student1994 View Post
Thanks for your truthful reply. I am glad to know more and have a realistic picture painted for me. This is because so far whenever I consult others, a very rosy picture of law is being painted for me due to people's perceptions of pursuing a law degree(being prestigious and what not). I would certainly consider your views greatly as I believe this is a huge investment to undertake (both time and money). Once again, I hope potential law students could come across this post and see the true picture of what a law degree entails
for the benefit of people considering law:

the rosy picture of law (insofar as getting a job is concerned), even if it existed before, no longer does. We are in the midst of a (massive) oversupply of law graduates, the effects of which we will continue to feel for the next 5 years. With the number of fresh lawyers fast approaching the 1,000 per year mark, and the already-bad job situation now, there are plenty of good law graduates who aren't getting jobs.

TL;DR / in summary: new law graduates -> no jobs
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
commerce, law, real estate, university

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need advice... in a dilemma tgb Income and Jobs 5 14-06-2013 11:06 AM
Dilemma Big 4 or Bank confusedog Income and Jobs 87 04-12-2012 10:28 PM
Dilemma Longthekayaboy Income and Jobs 2 11-11-2012 09:10 PM
Dilemma: Should I Return To Study Here? undecided2012 Education and Personal Growth 2 02-08-2012 10:10 PM
dilemma Peuro Income and Jobs 6 01-06-2011 05:13 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,436 Replies, 3,376,874 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
880 Replies, 225,233 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,512 Replies, 1,971,655 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,743 Replies, 818,977 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,695 Replies, 2,254,854 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
167 Replies, 61,609 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,003 Replies, 790,231 Views
is this tech job normal? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
38 Replies, 4,142 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,009 Replies, 523,373 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,864 Replies, 6,236,930 Views
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
857 Replies, 175,311 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
858 Replies, 391,221 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,847 Replies, 2,799,148 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,274 Replies, 876,173 Views
Cybersecurity/Info security career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
439 Replies, 107,773 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
319 Replies, 209,858 Views
Reference Checks: Does SG HR... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
93 Replies, 150,206 Views
PSA International ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
87 Replies, 23,977 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,048 Replies, 357,888 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,333 Replies, 2,231,835 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
311 Replies, 138,854 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
862 Replies, 595,999 Views
Management Consultant in Singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
32 Replies, 68,302 Views
Marriott International
0 Replies, 90 Views
Internship tips
5 Replies, 274 Views
HSBC Bank ( 1 2 3)
28 Replies, 57,857 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
199 Replies, 159,198 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,585 Replies, 3,025,805 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
352 Replies, 139,336 Views
ST Engineering Aerospace ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
34 Replies, 35,834 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 05:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2