Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Uni dilemma, please help
View Single Post
Old 21-06-2013, 08:54 AM

student1994 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Questions you can ask yourself:

(1) Can I see myself as a lawyer? Do I think I like doing litigation? Corporate law? Being a legal counsel in some company drafting agreements and contracts? Have I spoken to friends or relative in the legal sector - do they seem happy with their work?

(2) Do I know what my interests are? Will a general business degree be a reasonble foundation for me to start off on, then perhaps accumulate experience in some sector?

(3) Do I know enough about the Real Estate sector? Is it too narrow?

(4) Do I want to study abroad? Will a Leeds or ANU degree give me some advantage? Or is it better to be in NUS and maintain the friendships and network I have with my JC mates?
(1): I am pretty sure that if I were to study law, I would not want to do litigation due to the long hours involved and I am more of a family person. That being said, I hope to specialize in corporate law if possible or perhaps study international law so that I can work in the UN or NGOs. I personally enjoy reading so I believe I would not suffer to much in the course. As for speaking to friends and family, no one in my family is a lawyer. However, seniors I have spoken to are still studying so the advice they can give me is more towards life in law school, such as having to do lots of reading and self study in advance.

(2): I do not intend to get a business degree but a commerce degree and choose my major as accountancy and finance. As of yet, uni melb and anu are not approved schools on the new QP system so I'm not sure it's worth doing so. Having said that, I feel that due to my family background and early exposure to the world of finance (due to parents) I have actually have got a greater picture of the finance world( I read up on stocks, bonds, ETFs and such) Only concern is that I am scared accounting work is over repetitive and I may end up being bored in the future.

(3) real estate is something unique to me in the sense that I never knew such a course existed till recently after my A level results. Surprisingly, I ended up quite liking the course, hence I am even considering it now even though it is a non professional degree. I have seen the course modules and generally feel that I am interested in them (which should increase my probability of doing well?)
Only doubt I have is that it is not a professional course and am I making a wrong decision to give up my overseas offers just to study this in singapore. Any input from Real estate people?

(4) I honestly have a yes-no relationship as for studying abroad. As for yes, I feel that as I am quite sheltered in singapore, I would like to experience living away from home. Though my parents said that it is not as 'awesome' as I'd think so when I'm trying to study for exams and balance all other household chores etc. I also would like to do so and meet new people! Like perhaps just have a break from the singapore education system? As for no, I am honestly scared to stay away from my family for the next 3 years as I think I may be homesick having come from a closely knit family. I believe I would still be able to keep in touch with some of my jc friends in any case. However, as we are all going to different courses in singapore, it's hard to stick to them always.

Would like to ask, is Leeds for law respectable in employers eyes? Like it is usually seen as the lower tier schools for law in uk vs Oxbridge ucl lse etc. how is the local employability for such overseas law grads be? How about australia for commerce? Does it give employees the feeling that you are unable to make in into local uni and hence considering options in Aussie? (no offence to anyone, that is the general stereotypical view i get after asking people :/)I hope you guys can give me honest responses thank you