Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Uni dilemma, please help
View Single Post
Old 25-06-2013, 10:04 PM

student1994 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi Student1994

Getting a first would be a huge achievement, since Law professors don't usually give above a certain mark for Law - unlike the more quantitative subjects like engineering and science.

As difficult as it is to get a first in Law, there would always be a large number of Singaporeans getting a first due to the sheer number of Singaporeans studying law in the UK. In 2012, the London schools' and Bristol took in at least 40 law students each. There are also a large number of Law students in Notts, Exeter and Durham. In Singapore, there are about 9-10 local middle to large law-firms specializing in an area that I believe you would be interested in. Even in an optimistic economy, I do not think that the number of pupillage places between this places would exceed 250. Factoring the 400 graduates from the local universities, I think you should really consider your options.

Thanks for your truthful reply. I am glad to know more and have a realistic picture painted for me. This is because so far whenever I consult others, a very rosy picture of law is being painted for me due to people's perceptions of pursuing a law degree(being prestigious and what not). I would certainly consider your views greatly as I believe this is a huge investment to undertake (both time and money). Once again, I hope potential law students could come across this post and see the true picture of what a law degree entails