SMU economics or NTU Business - Page 3 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

SMU economics or NTU Business

Old 05-09-2014, 02:37 PM
Unregistered

seriously, when you step into the working society, nobody gives a ****.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:09 PM
Unregistered

So competitive nowadays...

My cousin started out at Spring/EDB and is at MAS now doing quite well.

Back then in the late 90s, I think there was only Econs major from NUS FASS lol.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
As someone whose department turnover is high and have seen and work with grads from ntu and smu, I have to say I tend to recommend ntu grads to my boss. Reason? Ntu seems to produce grads who are better technically in their knowledge and knows how, while smu grads tend to require more mentoring and guidance.

At the workplace, how the Unis teach or what special programs the Unis have to offer their students is not really our concern. We look more into the attributes and quality at the workplace.
For me, if I had to recommend potential graduates I'd prefer SMU students. NTU students always stick to the conventional wisdom, which is safe, but may not always be right. They always follow strictly according to the knowledge taught to them by accademic institutions.

SMU students on the other hand, go all out to find new innovative ways that are outside or is an extention of what they are thought academically through creative thinking.

I do not know what "technical knowledge" you are referring to, because all uni's teach their students relevant information pertaining to their majors and SMU students are very well trained in terms of academic knowledge and Hands on know how, because of their MBA style of teaching where teaching is pro-active and every one is encouraged to speak up at all times and there is a greater flow of knowledge.

SMU students are more street smart, and can come with out of the box solutions not in their textbook to solve different challenges that arises.

I feel that it is NTU students who need more mentoring and guidance. I feel less worried working with an SMU student because I know he/she can be pro-active enough to go asking around for help if he/she needs it or to gain more new knowledge and find new ways to help out with the company.

The NTU are the more quiet laid-back ones that needs a jumpstart

Old 06-09-2014, 05:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
which of the points u mentioned support ur claim that smu grads are not balloons? most of those experiences only add on to the decorative layer.
Than which points you mentioned support your claims that SMU grads are balloons? These experiences give them in-depth knowledge and valuable hands on expertise to survive in the workforce

Quote:
I know of some organizations/companies that do not hire smu grads for roles that requires technical knowledge (even tho the relevant major is offered by smu).
Really? care to name some? Because there are also other companies that do not hire NTU or NUS grads for the very same reason.

Quote:
This speaks volume on the technical know how of smu grads. No doubt, it is hard to argue against the fact that smu grad command higher pay but that does not make them less of a balloon.
What "technical know how" are you speaking of? Hands on skills or theoretical knowledge needed to get the job done?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MV1ZUtwXaY

Look at this video and come back here and say "SMU students are least favoured". These are senior directors from companies that have an established presence here in Singapore mind you.

Read up on straits times in the January/June/August article and you will find out how valuable SMU students are and how highly they are sought after by employers

Quote:
It just meant that there are roles which just need ppl who can talk and present and less so on the technicality. After all, in most part of the corporate world, it is just about pretending to be smarter than u really are.
Um, without interaction, there can never be free-flow of ideas. Without free-flow of ideas, there can never be change for the greater good, and without change, a company will remain stagnant and lag out behind from their competitors. Find me a decent job that supports minimal interaction and little/no projects.

Usually the jobs which require little/no interaction are for people who work in production companies or something similar. And also, there is no such thing of "no interaction and presentation" in the corporate world. This isnt a Rural farm in China. You are talking about the most developed country in all of South East Asia.

If your management cant get over himself of having only "technical skills" to handle tasks like paper printing or data entry, the entire company might as well shut down

Quote:
n i dont think you understand the difference between specialization and a specialized degree.
In response to what you said "anyway, having a specialization within the major does not make it a specialized degree."

I replied that the specialization is in fact represented as a major in SMU. When on earth did I say anything about a "specialization or a specialized degree" or even defined it?
Old 06-09-2014, 05:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
And your point is? This guy has a happy career, rather successful in life and can enjoy the fruits of his labour.
I'm pretty sure we can all infer that from what the poster said rofl.

Quote:
So what if he was a nerd back in the first university, at a time when not many people even went to university?
He was a nerd. Not many people went to university. There was only one university in Singapore. He himself said that he lead a good life with some unbelievably good pay. I just pointed the cold hard truth that that was the only university back in time and employers had no better choice >.>

Also, thats what that troll deserved for bragging online

Quote:
Meanwhile, you're just a struggling bitter young 'un who is mediocre and can't even spell properly wasting your life ranting online.
Oh hey! It seems so familiar don't you think? Pot calling the cattle black. tsk tsk tsk.

Quote:
Meanwhile, you're just a struggling bitter young 'un who is mediocre
Struggling bitter young 'un? Geez really? Did you infer that out of thin air too :|
Wow, this forum is plagued with down-syndrome users these days
Old 06-09-2014, 10:39 PM
Unregistered

There used to be quite a few SMU students at my firm a few years ago. The numbers are diminishing, as SMU students don't really have values like tenacity and being hard working. Many left within a few months for opportunities elsewhere.

SMU just breeds backstabbing politicians, fullstop.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm pretty sure we can all infer that from what the poster said rofl.

He was a nerd. Not many people went to university. There was only one university in Singapore. He himself said that he lead a good life with some unbelievably good pay. I just pointed the cold hard truth that that was the only university back in time and employers had no better choice >.>

Also, thats what that troll deserved for bragging online

Oh hey! It seems so familiar don't you think? Pot calling the cattle black. tsk tsk tsk.

Struggling bitter young 'un? Geez really? Did you infer that out of thin air too :|
Wow, this forum is plagued with down-syndrome users these days

Wow maaaan. Someone really needs to chill the hell out and get a life! Who's the nerd here now LOL. Who gives a crap where this guy got his degree from or whether he was the nerd back in uni. He's happy with his life now. Evidently you are not. Who's the bigger loser here?
Old 07-09-2014, 11:29 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Wow maaaan. Someone really needs to chill the hell out and get a life! Who's the nerd here now LOL.
You mad bro?

Quote:
Who gives a crap where this guy got his degree from or whether he was the nerd back in uni. He's happy with his life now. Evidently you are not. Who's the bigger loser here?
This proves the other poster's point that this thread is plagued by down-syndromers, ones that especially cant get over how lousy or good a uni is.

RAGEMOREBOIRAGEMORE
Old 07-09-2014, 11:30 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
You mad bro?
Yep i think he's mad
Old 07-09-2014, 11:32 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Wow maaaan. Someone really needs to chill the hell out and get a life! Who's the nerd here now LOL. Who gives a crap where this guy got his degree from or whether he was the nerd back in uni. He's happy with his life now. Evidently you are not. Who's the bigger loser here?
Nerd rage is simply delicious