Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SMU economics or NTU Business
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2014, 04:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
As someone whose department turnover is high and have seen and work with grads from ntu and smu, I have to say I tend to recommend ntu grads to my boss. Reason? Ntu seems to produce grads who are better technically in their knowledge and knows how, while smu grads tend to require more mentoring and guidance.

At the workplace, how the Unis teach or what special programs the Unis have to offer their students is not really our concern. We look more into the attributes and quality at the workplace.
For me, if I had to recommend potential graduates I'd prefer SMU students. NTU students always stick to the conventional wisdom, which is safe, but may not always be right. They always follow strictly according to the knowledge taught to them by accademic institutions.

SMU students on the other hand, go all out to find new innovative ways that are outside or is an extention of what they are thought academically through creative thinking.

I do not know what "technical knowledge" you are referring to, because all uni's teach their students relevant information pertaining to their majors and SMU students are very well trained in terms of academic knowledge and Hands on know how, because of their MBA style of teaching where teaching is pro-active and every one is encouraged to speak up at all times and there is a greater flow of knowledge.

SMU students are more street smart, and can come with out of the box solutions not in their textbook to solve different challenges that arises.

I feel that it is NTU students who need more mentoring and guidance. I feel less worried working with an SMU student because I know he/she can be pro-active enough to go asking around for help if he/she needs it or to gain more new knowledge and find new ways to help out with the company.

The NTU are the more quiet laid-back ones that needs a jumpstart