Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

SMU economics or NTU Business

Old 07-09-2014, 04:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The level of intelligence radiating from this thread is simply astounding...

What uni do you come from anyway? SIM?
That probably explains a lot. After all it has that "s" letter too :X

Old 07-09-2014, 04:49 PM
Unregistered

Personally I feel smu grads are more inclined in the arts of business managament and they are well rounded graduates that have more exposure and aptitude.

NTU is located too far away from the city and students kmowledge are restricted only to their textbook. They are also too quiet or inactive. They dont take initiative.

NUS students are too accademically inclined to be good at anything.

Just an employers worth of 2 cents

Old 08-09-2014, 01:04 AM
Unregistered

My workplace hires a mix of NUS/NTU/SMU grads. Ministry, but I won't disclose which. My dept mostly has grads from the social sciences/humanities side from all three universities. I guess from where I work, the pro-activeness and the "street-smarts" of SMU grads can't really be applied. Those skills are probably more applicable in the business sector. Surprisingly, its the NTU grads that really shine here. Surprising because NUS FASS is the supposed bastion of Social Sciences and NTU's HSS is only about 10 years old.

But as their (indirect) supervisor, I honestly prefer the NTU grads for their technical know-how. They pretty much know a lot in terms of content. Also, probably due to their FYP-requirement, many of them are quite skilled with stats, can't say the same about NUS grads that are without honours, nor can I say the same about SMU grads, math and statistics somehow just creep them out.

In terms of knowledge about current and recent political climatic changes, relevant to my dept, the NTU grads also come out ahead. I was pretty shocked that one of the SMU grads didn't even know that Burma = Myanmar and that when talking to most Burmese, referring to the country as Burma is more acceptable than referring it to Myanmar since Myanmar is the name that is used by the Junta. So it really didn't matter that this SMU grad had OCIP to that very same country unlike the NTU/NUS grad, he obviously took nothing back other than pictures with cute orphans.

NTU students are also more obedient and thorough. They make really good civil servants. Its not an insult, if you've ever worked in the civil service, or if you're a guy and dealt with paperwork in NS. You'll realise the number of protocols and forms and channels one has to follow in order to complete certain tasks i.e bureaucracy. NTU students can do them really well and at lightning speed after they get used to it. SMU/NUS grads tend to leave several parts undone and try to circumvent protocols. Sure, we ALL know its easier that way, but protocols and rules are there for a good reason. And although it may be a hassle, it is still very much a requirement.

That said, Im sure university students from each university has strengths and weaknesses. It just depends on how they play to their strengths when applying for jobs. Seems to me that NTU grads excel in places where work is more technical, NUS grads excel in academia, whereas SMU grads would do well in places where persuasion and creativity is key. Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-09-2014, 01:14 AM
Unregistered

Say what you will about NTU grads, but lots of non-biz grads actually end up with pretty high-paying jobs in the financial sector, especially the engineering grads. For some reason, we get invited to more career talks from banks than engineering companies. Heck, I even know a big 3 accountant who just graduated from NTU Chinese. He was my senior in NS. Studied ACCA while getting his NTU degree. Im starting to wonder what they actually do in the financial sector. I don't think your degree or which uni you come from actually matters much. As long as you're from the big 3 universities, that is.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:09 AM
Unregistered

I'm an SMU student myself, and I must say our teaching system doesn't really cultivate an in-dept view of the subject that we are studying. It's just seminars, discussion, genral knowledge questions and so on... None of the materials even prepare you for graduate studies in the future for courses like MSc Computational finance in MIT, as the amount of quantitative content is really lacking behind our counter-parts in NTU and NUS.

Sigh...

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 08-09-2014, 03:07 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I was pretty shocked that one of the SMU grads didn't even know that Burma = Myanmar and that when talking to most Burmese, referring to the country as Burma is more acceptable than referring it to Myanmar since Myanmar is the name that is used by the Junta. So it really didn't matter that this SMU grad had OCIP to that very same country unlike the NTU/NUS grad, he obviously took nothing back other than pictures with cute orphans.
Probably to post on facebook as their display picture, showing the whole world how compassionate they are in taking time off their oh-so-busy schedules to save the poor third-world orphas. gosh i hate these kind of people

Old 08-09-2014, 12:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm an SMU student myself, and I must say our teaching system doesn't really cultivate an in-dept view of the subject that we are studying. It's just seminars, discussion, genral knowledge questions and so on... None of the materials even prepare you for graduate studies in the future for courses like MSc Computational finance in MIT, as the amount of quantitative content is really lacking behind our counter-parts in NTU and NUS.

Sigh...
Dosen't cover in depth views? You're kidding me right? I am a soon to be smu student that have tried attending several of their lectures for a better pic before enrolment and i have several friends in smu. All of them feedbacked that their lessons are on average more than rigorous than ntu or NUS counterparts.

Before lessons start, they have ro go to various sources outside textbooks and search for case studies to voice out their findings in the class which is moderated and/or corrected by a professor which merely guides them along.

And one of them is in the quantitative finance/major track-one of the major that is hardest to get in/maintain for biz specialization in smu.

General knowledge are not taught in biz specific courses/modules.. they are just part and parcel of e modules we hace 2 take under general studies, and some of them even though not directly related w biz management can complement ur knowledge of e major u are taking.

Also, you mentioned MIT, I believe that is the Massechusetts Institute of technology which is a um... idk ? A school more geared towards engineering and technology? And it is one of the top unis in the world?

Ntu and Nus graduates have a slim chance of getting into that uni even with their qualifications..

And besises, the universities with the best business graduate programes in the world are mainly wharton, havard and stanford.

These should be the schools u should consider for postgraduate studies if you want to apply finance knowledge to a biz settings.

Besides in e first place, if u do not have a passion of biz management in general or have a fondness for its culture why choose smu in the first place?

You should have taken up a degree with a mathematical track in NUS instead which also gives you some background or headstart in finance..

Your questions leas me to ponder if u r really an smu student Lol
Old 08-09-2014, 12:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
My workplace hires a mix of NUS/NTU/SMU grads. Ministry, but I won't disclose which. My dept mostly has grads from the social sciences/humanities side from all three universities. I guess from where I work, the pro-activeness and the "street-smarts" of SMU grads can't really be applied. Those skills are probably more applicable in the business sector. Surprisingly, its the NTU grads that really shine here. Surprising because NUS FASS is the supposed bastion of Social Sciences and NTU's HSS is only about 10 years old.

But as their (indirect) supervisor, I honestly prefer the NTU grads for their technical know-how. They pretty much know a lot in terms of content. Also, probably due to their FYP-requirement, many of them are quite skilled with stats, can't say the same about NUS grads that are without honours, nor can I say the same about SMU grads, math and statistics somehow just creep them out.

In terms of knowledge about current and recent political climatic changes, relevant to my dept, the NTU grads also come out ahead. I was pretty shocked that one of the SMU grads didn't even know that Burma = Myanmar and that when talking to most Burmese, referring to the country as Burma is more acceptable than referring it to Myanmar since Myanmar is the name that is used by the Junta. So it really didn't matter that this SMU grad had OCIP to that very same country unlike the NTU/NUS grad, he obviously took nothing back other than pictures with cute orphans.

NTU students are also more obedient and thorough. They make really good civil servants. Its not an insult, if you've ever worked in the civil service, or if you're a guy and dealt with paperwork in NS. You'll realise the number of protocols and forms and channels one has to follow in order to complete certain tasks i.e bureaucracy. NTU students can do them really well and at lightning speed after they get used to it. SMU/NUS grads tend to leave several parts undone and try to circumvent protocols. Sure, we ALL know its easier that way, but protocols and rules are there for a good reason. And although it may be a hassle, it is still very much a requirement.

That said, Im sure university students from each university has strengths and weaknesses. It just depends on how they play to their strengths when applying for jobs. Seems to me that NTU grads excel in places where work is more technical, NUS grads excel in academia, whereas SMU grads would do well in places where persuasion and creativity is key. Just my 2 cents.
I am an NTU NBS student and i must say i definitely regret myself for not choosing smu business..

At NTU, u are located all away at some isolated island and all we do is mug mug mug and mug. Every thing feels so accademically challenging that you feel you are taking not business adminiatration, but just another uni course...

Smu students can go for many internships exchange and biz stuides mission whereas here in NTU, it is so limited....

With regards to ur post I dont think anyone would care if you kow the relation between myanmmar and burma..

In fact, what you described is similar to the stuck-up and arrogant culture in NTU where people think that they are better than others due to petty "jc or secondary school knowledge" they learnt..

But in reality no one really cares.. in my attachment or job posting all employers prefer smu grads to do projects come up w suggestion etc. What happens to ntu students? We are left behind to do mundane paperwork and clerical duties...

Worse still if there are too many documents we have to stay and work OT...

Also once in my internships, all students as interna had to come up with suggestions on how to improve working enviornment and improve processes.. sad to say ntu students presentation skills and application knowledge is not as well defined or well polished as compared to smu..

Yes. Ntu is good at technical knowledge. What technical knowledge? Paper work and clerk duties..

If i can turn back time.. i would have chosen smu biz.. they train their students to go all out.. and to venture beyond their comfort zone to achieve what they want in life

Ntu students are still stuck on the shore of bickering over useless things like "is Burma =Myanmar"
Old 08-09-2014, 01:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Probably to post on facebook as their display picture, showing the whole world how compassionate they are in taking time off their oh-so-busy schedules to save the poor third-world orphas. gosh i hate these kind of people
At least they take their time off to contribute to the needy and less fortunate.

The same can't be said about people who take their time off their oh-so-busy schedules to gossip and b*tch about others by stalking other people's facebook or twitter.
These haters need to get a real life.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
My workplace hires a mix of NUS/NTU/SMU grads. Ministry, but I won't disclose which
/QUOTE]

If its a govt sector with strict protocol, rigid approach shoud choose ntu or nus grads. They follow strictly by the book and all govt sector needs is conventional and txtbook knowledge, and that is what ntu and nus grads have these days.

Quote:
My dept mostly has grads from the social sciences/humanities side from all three universities. I guess from where I work, the pro-activeness and the "street-smarts" of SMU grads can't really be applied. Those skills are probably more applicable in the business sector.
I think this is quite obvious. Govt departments are too stern and rigid and have so many levels to go thru that innovation or idea growth is so hard. Reason why i left govt secotr n joined private sector. Also smu is a specialized national business university. Whats ur HR department doing?

Quote:
Surprisingly, its the NTU grads that really shine here. Surprising because NUS FASS is the supposed bastion of Social Sciences and NTU's HSS is only about 10 years old.
Yet NUS FASS faculty is on the worlds top 25 and ahead of NTU

Quote:
You should hire smu grads from the school of information systems than.. what they learnt is more inclined to the govt sector or... not even at all.

Hiring grads that come from a school that places emphasis on innovation and change in addition to being vocal is a direct SLAP TO THE FACE for an organization that is too rigid and has strict protocols to follow-that makes it extremely outdated.

As mentioned earlier: what is your HR department doing?

Quote:
U are delving more towards the history and background
Of a particular country. In all honesty, in the private sector where making money is a priority, I as the boss, would want my workers to adapt to the way how business is done in that particular country and I really have no time to concern myself Over petty issues such as if Burma should be named instead of Myanmar. That is a social worker's job. Not the job of a business executive.

If i want my team leaders to set up a market for what my company has to offer i would already send market researchers to do a background analysis study and train my workers 2 give them a countrys background brief first before they go for projects beyond the local shore.

But that may be impossible for a govt org u work in considering there are a lack of proper planning, thoughts,ideas and budget available and there are no better options.
Quote:
NTU students are also more obedient and thorough. They make really good civil servants. Its not an insult, if you've ever worked in the civil service, or if you're a guy and dealt with paperwork in NS. You'll realise the number of protocols and forms and channels one has to follow in order to complete certain tasks i.e bureaucracy. NTU students can do them really well and at lightning speed after they get used to it. SMU/NUS grads tend to leave several parts undone and try to circumvent protocols.
Quote:

This is why i always recommend NTU graduates to be in charge and lead processes such as data entry and stamp dutywhile I assign department-level projects to snu graduates. Everyone has a part to play.

Quote:
Sure, we ALL know its easier that way, but protocols and rules are there for a good reason. And although it may be a hassle, it is still very much a requirement.
Protocols and rules are meant to serve aa a guide to ensure proper standard operating procedures are followed to ensurr minimal mistakes are made especially in a heavily process-oriented department.

However protocols and rules should not limit innovation and exchange of ideas that are crucial for the company's advancement and development especially in the 21st century where services and innovation are emphasized more and are crucial for an organization's expansion.

In this case u are a govt org so it is ok if the dept remains as the frog at the bottom of the well because you will always have funding from singapore govt even if your department starts to underperform.

For private sector the rate of expansion and change is so fast we need more ideas and change to keep ahead of our competitors
Quote:
Exactly. This ia why smu grads are placed at the upper management in the corporate private sector, NUS grads placed at the research centre and NTU grads are mainly used to help out with e everyday office workload and processess.