Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SMU economics or NTU Business
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2014, 12:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm an SMU student myself, and I must say our teaching system doesn't really cultivate an in-dept view of the subject that we are studying. It's just seminars, discussion, genral knowledge questions and so on... None of the materials even prepare you for graduate studies in the future for courses like MSc Computational finance in MIT, as the amount of quantitative content is really lacking behind our counter-parts in NTU and NUS.

Sigh...
Dosen't cover in depth views? You're kidding me right? I am a soon to be smu student that have tried attending several of their lectures for a better pic before enrolment and i have several friends in smu. All of them feedbacked that their lessons are on average more than rigorous than ntu or NUS counterparts.

Before lessons start, they have ro go to various sources outside textbooks and search for case studies to voice out their findings in the class which is moderated and/or corrected by a professor which merely guides them along.

And one of them is in the quantitative finance/major track-one of the major that is hardest to get in/maintain for biz specialization in smu.

General knowledge are not taught in biz specific courses/modules.. they are just part and parcel of e modules we hace 2 take under general studies, and some of them even though not directly related w biz management can complement ur knowledge of e major u are taking.

Also, you mentioned MIT, I believe that is the Massechusetts Institute of technology which is a um... idk ? A school more geared towards engineering and technology? And it is one of the top unis in the world?

Ntu and Nus graduates have a slim chance of getting into that uni even with their qualifications..

And besises, the universities with the best business graduate programes in the world are mainly wharton, havard and stanford.

These should be the schools u should consider for postgraduate studies if you want to apply finance knowledge to a biz settings.

Besides in e first place, if u do not have a passion of biz management in general or have a fondness for its culture why choose smu in the first place?

You should have taken up a degree with a mathematical track in NUS instead which also gives you some background or headstart in finance..

Your questions leas me to ponder if u r really an smu student Lol