LSE Economics or NTU Accountancy and Business - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Education and Personal Growth

Education and Personal Growth Schools, further studies, getting ready for employment, and motivation stuff




LSE Economics or NTU Accountancy and Business

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2013, 03:45 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3
zenstars is on a distinguished road
Default LSE Economics or NTU Accountancy and Business

Hello all,

I am in some dire need of advice, because I feel rather lost and confused about my future.

I got an offer from LSE Economics. I originally intended to go on a scholarship, but didn't manage to secure a govt scholarship. I am now left with the options of going LSE self-financed and to stay local and study a double degree in Accountancy and Business at NTU.

Going to LSE will cost about 150K - 200K, and my family isn't super rich, just the typical heartlander family staying in HDB 5-room.

Can anyone tell me the career prospect of an LSE graduate? People kept telling me "oh you can go into investment banking and earn a lot of money", but honestly speaking, isn't it very tough to get into the good front office roles?

I will only go to LSE if I know that the future career prospect is great, and it is worth the initial investment in school fees. Any advice from you guys who are already working and know more information?

Thank you!

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 231
cslee is on a distinguished road
Default

Stay local. There is no guarantee that having LSE degree will surely succeed. You can always take a master degree overseas when you've accumulated enough wealth of your own later in life instead of 'taxing' on your parents' retirement fund

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3
zenstars is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslee View Post
Stay local. There is no guarantee that having LSE degree will surely succeed. You can always take a master degree overseas when you've accumulated enough wealth of your own later in life instead of 'taxing' on your parents' retirement fund
Okay, thank you for your opinion.

Right now the only thing that is swaying me to LSE is the fact that it has always been my dream school. I also thought about getting a mid-term scholarship and get bonded to a stat board, but then again it is not guaranteed that I would get it.

As for NTU Accountancy and Business, I am fine with it, just that I really have never considered accountant as a career choice..

I have been browsing the forums and many are saying the outlook in finance sector is very bleak, the industry is shrinking etc. Pretty confused..

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2013, 07:39 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Studying in NTU Accountancy is always the safest bet if all other plans don't work out. U won't go wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenstars View Post
Okay, thank you for your opinion.

Right now the only thing that is swaying me to LSE is the fact that it has always been my dream school. I also thought about getting a mid-term scholarship and get bonded to a stat board, but then again it is not guaranteed that I would get it.

As for NTU Accountancy and Business, I am fine with it, just that I really have never considered accountant as a career choice..

I have been browsing the forums and many are saying the outlook in finance sector is very bleak, the industry is shrinking etc. Pretty confused..
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I think it is a bad idea to incur >150k for your LSE study. Career-wise, LSE is definitely way more advantageous than NTU. BUT, it is very unlikely that the LSE education can develop your career in a way that justify such a large investment.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 231
cslee is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenstars View Post
Okay, thank you for your opinion.

Right now the only thing that is swaying me to LSE is the fact that it has always been my dream school. I also thought about getting a mid-term scholarship and get bonded to a stat board, but then again it is not guaranteed that I would get it.

As for NTU Accountancy and Business, I am fine with it, just that I really have never considered accountant as a career choice..

I have been browsing the forums and many are saying the outlook in finance sector is very bleak, the industry is shrinking etc. Pretty confused..
Finance career is not accountancy. Like the other forumer said, an accountant would never get out of job. Whether recession or boom time, every firm still need their finance lifeline to be processed by humans. But prepared to work late hours, esp in early career stage.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2013, 09:33 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Dude...i know what i am talking about. To get into the finance industry, studying in accountancy is one of the most feasible routes. It's NOT just about doing audit and accountancy. It opens the doors to banking, business related industry etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslee View Post
Finance career is not accountancy. Like the other forumer said, an accountant would never get out of job. Whether recession or boom time, every firm still need their finance lifeline to be processed by humans. But prepared to work late hours, esp in early career stage.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 231
cslee is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Dude...i know what i am talking about. To get into the finance industry, studying in accountancy is one of the most feasible routes. It's NOT just about doing audit and accountancy. It opens the doors to banking, business related industry etc.
Since you've your mind set, you should have this thread closed.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

why is CSLEE sprouting nonsense? don't know anything yet still wanna talk so much. haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslee View Post
Since you've your mind set, you should have this thread closed.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2013, 10:55 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 231
cslee is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
why is CSLEE sprouting nonsense? don't know anything yet still wanna talk so much. haha.
now i can see why you can't get govt scholarship despite stellar results. you lack some key attributes: humility, eq etc. a far cry from my PSC scholar colleagues and bosses.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prospects for Business/Economics Students PayBuddy Income and Jobs 2 11-04-2012 03:56 PM
[HELP!] NUS Pharmacy vs NBS Business+Accountancy KeaneLJC Income and Jobs 14 23-03-2012 12:06 AM
Which degree? Economics or Business Management Tanmg Education and Personal Growth 2 06-02-2012 03:32 PM
Accountancy or Business Degree? slayercsa Income and Jobs 1 17-07-2011 10:00 PM
Regarding Accountancy pancakes Income and Jobs 5 28-11-2010 01:02 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,064 Replies, 471,063 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
158 Replies, 51,432 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,139 Replies, 196,373 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
812 Replies, 412,005 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
866 Replies, 694,580 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,860 Replies, 1,726,585 Views
Job search for returning...
0 Replies, 97 Views
Working at Changi Business Park
5 Replies, 271 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,687 Replies, 750,087 Views
Schneider Electric - EGP (Grad... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
36 Replies, 12,949 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
611 Replies, 307,403 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,369 Replies, 533,661 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,689 Replies, 479,152 Views
Met a girl from dating app
1 Replies, 232 Views
Shell TDP ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
146 Replies, 42,664 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,845 Replies, 2,072,597 Views
Gap year, Sabbatical
4 Replies, 259 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,916 Replies, 5,126,476 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
240 Replies, 149,122 Views
OCBC Young Bankers Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
96 Replies, 70,406 Views
Career switches - job options and... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 1,975 Views
What course should I undertake?
3 Replies, 2,074 Views
is it crazy to give up a 100k P.A... ( 1 2 3)
26 Replies, 20,857 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,010 Replies, 1,361,568 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,007 Replies, 804,290 Views
SPF (Direct-Entry Inspector)
8 Replies, 889 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
371 Replies, 166,110 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,547 Replies, 1,214,453 Views
GovTech career grade ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
83 Replies, 105,102 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 03:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2