Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Singapore Power iGrad interview

Old 14-04-2017, 10:02 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Just curious, what would be considered a good pay for you?
Hmm I know come companies ~ 4.8k-5k if fixed salary throughout 2 years for graduate program. DBS Grad Program offer below 4k at first but I heard after first year it will be closer to 5k, not sure though.

Especially for IT, some big companies already offer 4k income to attract talents, I always expect salary for grad program should be higher than normal stream.

Old 14-04-2017, 11:05 PM
Unregistered

My aim is at about 3.5-3.8k, I had startups offered me higher than that so far (4k range) but I wonder if I will lose the graduate development programme experience offered by the bigger coys if I choose salary over brand recognition and structured training process.

Old 14-04-2017, 11:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
My aim is at about 3.5-3.8k, I had startups offered me higher than that so far (4k range) but I wonder if I will lose the graduate development programme experience offered by the bigger coys if I choose salary over brand recognition and structured training process.
And yes I'm rejected too for this programme, also got rejected from DBS, standard chartered, UOB, KPMG.etc hahaha

Old 15-04-2017, 10:49 AM
Unregistered

The main problem with joining SP grad program is not the starting salary, but slow and poor future pay prospects compared to MAP in banks or top MNC management program.

In a lot of banking MAP, good performers can reach VP level within 5-6 years drawing >10k. In SP as an engineer or technology role, you will need to be at least DD level for few years to break the 10k mark and I doubt one can reach that sort of level in SP that fast even if you are the top performer every single year.

Of course some will say money is not everything which I agree, but my advice is for those who are gunning for high flyer, rapid progression and pay increases, SP is not the place to go. SP main attraction is stability, job security and process structure driven. Depends on your character and goals.
Old 15-04-2017, 04:10 PM
Unregistered

I went for the group discussion day, not sure what kind of technical competency they are looking for, but seems to me that they did not manage to attract enough good IT students for that day itself.

Reason is, prior to the interview, we were supposed to complete a programming test. Someone in my group did not even complete the test, I think he left the hardest part, and yet still got called for interview. The test was self-timed, probably not easy to get the most efficient answer but definitely not difficult to complete. Besides the last portion which was the hardest, other sections are really easy. I guess they did not have many applicants so just called these people in to fill the seats.
Old 15-04-2017, 04:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I went for the group discussion day, not sure what kind of technical competency they are looking for, but seems to me that they did not manage to attract enough good IT students for that day itself.

Reason is, prior to the interview, we were supposed to complete a programming test. Someone in my group did not even complete the test, I think he left the hardest part, and yet still got called for interview. The test was self-timed, probably not easy to get the most efficient answer but definitely not difficult to complete. Besides the last portion which was the hardest, other sections are really easy. I guess they did not have many applicants so just called these people in to fill the seats.
What SP can offer in terms of branding, pay and career progression is very limited. They might say they want top IT talents, but realistically speaking I doubt any good IT candidate will apply with them especially when so many IT super brands, banking or fintech consultancies can exceed them both monetary and non-monetary aspect.

SP main attraction is stability (slow pace) and job security. I don't think these are the areas that strong IT people will be interested in.

Old 15-04-2017, 06:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
What SP can offer in terms of branding, pay and career progression is very limited. They might say they want top IT talents, but realistically speaking I doubt any good IT candidate will apply with them especially when so many IT super brands, banking or fintech consultancies can exceed them both monetary and non-monetary aspect.

SP main attraction is stability (slow pace) and job security. I don't think these are the areas that strong IT people will be interested in.
A lot of GLCs got the same problem. Their pay is average, culture very local style and technology platforms so-so, but insist on super high expectations when hiring grads.

When I went interview with SATS program the same thing happened as well. Poorly organized assessments, asking a lot of obvious misfits down just to make up the numbers, arrogant HR trying to upsell and then you can see them slowly downgrading expectation as the good ones all reject their offer.
Old 15-04-2017, 07:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Before going to the interview, I originally thought that Singapore Power is reinventing itself. After all last year they did manage to snatch some good talents according to the news

s://.techinasia.com/paypal-engineering-director-joins-singapore-power

s://.techinasia.com/singapore-power-sau-sheong

But as I went to the group discussion interview, it is anything but that for new graduate hires. You might be better off applying as a full stack programmer directly than this iGrad program.

The pre-interview assignment wise, they didn't make us agree to any NDA so... just a search on github (Singapore Power, SPgroup, SP Group) and you got your answers from others. I don't think they even evaluate your code honestly. More of a self-filter

When I completed the assignment and notified the HR, she seem to be very concerned about what class of honours I get, which is kind of a red flag for me. I dislike such practices and usually avoid giving it unless it is really required.

I hope they will learn from this and do a better one next year
Old 15-04-2017, 11:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Before going to the interview, I originally thought that Singapore Power is reinventing itself. After all last year they did manage to snatch some good talents according to the news

s://.techinasia.com/paypal-engineering-director-joins-singapore-power

s://.techinasia.com/singapore-power-sau-sheong
All glcs do that from time to time, ie get a few senior managers with good pedigrees to rebrand and reorg. In the end all will be the same, the few hires will either give up the fight against the whole org or convert and become 1 of them.
Old 16-04-2017, 01:39 PM
Unregistered

Default merton RANSOM

Quote:
The pre-interview assignment wise, they didn't make us agree to any NDA so... just a search on github (Singapore Power, SPgroup, SP Group) and you got your answers from others. I don't think they even evaluate your code honestly. More of a self-filter
Haha I think it's more of a formality for IT grads, I highly doubt if they filtered anyone lol