Compare civil service salary - Page 982 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Compare civil service salary

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #9811 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2020, 07:29 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Most people are okay with the questions asked by the 2.2K NUS guys. What's disgusting is the follow up comments from some jokers who think it's interesting to turn this thread into a boomer thrashing thread, thinking that they are god sent saviour for the world, when he is just a worthless fresh grad in this challenging job market who needs to face with the reality of settling for a 2K plus job. If the person had shown more humility, he wouldn't have been thrashed like mad by the rest. I am honestly happy that this joker will now need to settle for a sub-standard starting pay or remain unemployed. This will show him his rightful place and let him learn the value of humility.
I'm confused, are you bashing the 2.2k guy or not? Because I'm pretty sure he's been cordial in all his posts. I think the only reason he stated that he was from NUS was because other posters felt that knowing where his degree came from would be helpful in assessing his situation.

Dislike ok boomer as well, but people need to realize that it's being used by the younger generation even in conversations between themselves. I was confused when a younger colleague used it on a fresh hire, but then was told that the meme transitioned into aiming at outdated opinions rather than just boomers specifically - which I feel is fair. But I still hate the phrase regardless.

Reply With Quote
  #9812 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2020, 07:48 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm confused, are you bashing the 2.2k guy or not? Because I'm pretty sure he's been cordial in all his posts. I think the only reason he stated that he was from NUS was because other posters felt that knowing where his degree came from would be helpful in assessing his situation.

Dislike ok boomer as well, but people need to realize that it's being used by the younger generation even in conversations between themselves. I was confused when a younger colleague used it on a fresh hire, but then was told that the meme transitioned into aiming at outdated opinions rather than just boomers specifically - which I feel is fair. But I still hate the phrase regardless.
Not targeting the 2.2K guy definitely. I sympathize with his plight. Noted on your explanation on the use of boomer. Nonetheless, still think it's inappropriate for spoilt immature brats to use such condescending term as though they are the wise sage that knows everything.

Reply With Quote
  #9813 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2020, 07:51 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Suggest maybe you can send an application first and see if you are being called up before we talk about the pay. To be honest, not sure if they will be paying you 5K and above given your private degree and current pay coupled with the challenging economic environment. But no harm trying your luck.
Yeah absolutely. I've since sent in my applications - it's a waiting game now. Thanks!

Reply With Quote
  #9814 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2020, 07:52 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i think earlier someone entered at 29, at MX11A equivalent.
Ah I must have missed this. I guess my concern was also I'm holding onto a pte deg, it makes alot of difference in this scenario.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote
  #9815 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2020, 07:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
$5k is within mx12 salary scale. in your case, could be offered mx12 but salary point is up to hiring min/sb to offer. depending on exact role, experience relevancy, skills suitabity, how your interview went, hr hiring policy etc etc.

would be great if offer matches your current salary.
would be a bonus if offer is higher than your current salary.
would not be surprised if offer is lower than your current salary.
Thanks for this! You are right - would need to manage my expectations in this climate.

I've since applied for the roles. My ask would be 5k min, as a discussion starter.
Reply With Quote
  #9816 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2020, 10:27 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Lol this was such a juicy thread.

For 2.2k guy: just take it for now. As mentioned by several people, fresh grads have little to no bargaining power so you can probably forget about asking for an increase. From HR's point of view, internships and whatever short stints you previously had basically amount to 0 work experience. That said, it's sad that 2.2 is going to be your starting rate (i empathize, i really do) but a start somewhere is better than going nowhere.

You should also consider that the economy is not in your favor right now (as much as i wish it was), and everyone else is also starting at a dismal market rate, so you can use this as some sort of consolation that you're not the only one being low balled i guess...

NOT TO SAY that degrees are worthless now, but in this economy, yes they have lost much of their MARKET VALUE so don't expect to have employers match up to previous market rates.

As for the other fresh grads that had a bone to pick with the comment which set off this contention, take it w a pinch of salt because there is honestly some merit to be gleaned from whatever he said about fresh grads' bargaining power and worth in the workforce.
Reply With Quote

  #9817 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2020, 10:39 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Most people are okay with the questions asked by the 2.2K NUS guys. What's disgusting is the follow up comments from some jokers who think it's interesting to turn this thread into a boomer thrashing thread, thinking that they are god sent saviour for the world, when he is just a worthless fresh grad in this challenging job market who needs to face with the reality of settling for a 2K plus job. If the person had shown more humility, he wouldn't have been thrashed like mad by the rest. I am honestly happy that this joker will now need to settle for a sub-standard starting pay or remain unemployed. This will show him his rightful place and let him learn the value of humility.
Shut up boomer.
Reply With Quote
  #9818 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2020, 12:04 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Shut up boomer.
Manage to land a job that pays beyond 2.5K?
Reply With Quote
  #9819 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2020, 05:47 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

What's the salary difference between second upper and lower for local uni engineering fresh graduate? Will it have an impact on my career progression scheme?
Reply With Quote
  #9820 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2020, 10:38 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Lol this was such a juicy thread.

For 2.2k guy: just take it for now. As mentioned by several people, fresh grads have little to no bargaining power so you can probably forget about asking for an increase. From HR's point of view, internships and whatever short stints you previously had basically amount to 0 work experience. That said, it's sad that 2.2 is going to be your starting rate (i empathize, i really do) but a start somewhere is better than going nowhere.

You should also consider that the economy is not in your favor right now (as much as i wish it was), and everyone else is also starting at a dismal market rate, so you can use this as some sort of consolation that you're not the only one being low balled i guess...

NOT TO SAY that degrees are worthless now, but in this economy, yes they have lost much of their MARKET VALUE so don't expect to have employers match up to previous market rates.

As for the other fresh grads that had a bone to pick with the comment which set off this contention, take it w a pinch of salt because there is honestly some merit to be gleaned from whatever he said about fresh grads' bargaining power and worth in the workforce.

This is the asshole who said what has to be said. This is not in response to the quoted comment, responding this way makes it easier to keep track of the conversation.

I have made 2 posts so far regarding this matter and this will be my last one. My final comments on this matter are as follows:

(1) There is no longer any point in continuing this conversation. The existing difference in opinion is occasioned by diametrically opposing belief systems. Neither side is willing to consider that the other might be correct in their analysis of the current job market. Only time will tell. I will leave it to do its job.

(2) I think the best way to survive this crisis is to take a socialist slant towards our expectations of life - Everyone takes a cut today (trust me when i say it is really bad in some circles) so that we can prosper together tomorrow. My issue is not that taxpayer money is being used to support the traineeships (which is why it was a by the way point) - my issue is that despite knowing that FOUR budgets have been released this year resulting is god know how much deficit to the country's budget - there is still a selfish streak of "i deserve more because im a grad and have done internships". Everyone is suffering, having a degree and having done internships does not make you special. Take a hit now. You will be rewarded when the economy recovers. This is why one part of cs bonus is tagged to the performance of the economy.

(3) My hope is that all fresh grads can find jobs because that means you can kick start the recovery process by contributing to society in the form of your taxes...and of course being financially responsible for yourself so you don't become a burden to the state. If you can find a 3.5k/4.6k job - even better, you contribute more to the recovery of the economy. I hope all of you find your 3.5k/4.6k jobs. Like i said, only time will tell.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
civil servants, civil service, government, law, lawyer, mx scale, public sector, scholar, scholarship, superscale

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Civil Service Pay - Director level curious Income and Jobs 140 06-07-2017 02:14 PM
Civil Service Bonus 2007 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 9 18-03-2010 12:42 PM
High Earners In Civil Service Salary.sg Income and Jobs 29 28-04-2009 10:29 AM
HK civil service salary hike Salary.sg Income and Jobs 5 21-11-2008 11:57 PM
Civil Service Bonus mid-2008 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 6 15-07-2008 01:40 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Submitting My Resume To ST... ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 21,914 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,095 Replies, 5,578,474 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,757 Replies, 269,452 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
669 Replies, 210,395 Views
Please Share DBS Average Months... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 2,815 Views
Sharing my Passive and Active...
2 Replies, 364 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,557 Replies, 2,599,868 Views
Feeling helpless, need advice...
8 Replies, 564 Views
where can i buy nintendo stock?
6 Replies, 3,321 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
376 Replies, 250,304 Views
[advice] Recruitment agency... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 1,891 Views
HR Career advice
3 Replies, 1,402 Views
Anyone being hired during covid... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 842 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,910 Replies, 1,083,533 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,185 Replies, 968,397 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
98 Replies, 12,737 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
387 Replies, 286,789 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
89 Replies, 15,398 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,089 Replies, 499,346 Views
Can share your your car...
2 Replies, 198 Views
Pay for digital marketing agencies
7 Replies, 2,127 Views
Any Kaplan students here can land... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 1,032 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,291 Replies, 906,724 Views
Sign On After 30? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
33 Replies, 2,853 Views
Android, iPhone and iPad Apps For...
2 Replies, 2,368 Views
What's the graduate officer... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
53 Replies, 12,773 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,728 Replies, 797,019 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,292 Replies, 1,904,815 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2