Compare civil service salary - Page 6 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Compare civil service salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #51 (permalink)  
Old 09-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
just my 2 cents worth.

A typical graduate civil servant at the age of 35 would have picked up another another masters degree, making about 7-10k/month. Transitioning to the private sector is hard. Looking at my batch, many don't make the successful transition, and quite a few end up retrenched or unemployed by the time they reach 40-45. There have been some great success stories as well. The successful ones tend to be those that plan ahead. The ones that don't tend to be those that drift along and suddenly 'force' to leave either they cannot stand their idiotic bosses (which happen a lot in the government service) or they have some mid-life crises and see their peers in the private sector doing better than them. Many of you will have to face the crossroad. Spend more time thinking about this.

all the best!
Making 7 to 10k per month as a typical civil servant at 35 years old is a rather optimistic projection but you are right to say that civil servants find it hard to move back to the private sector. This is partly due to the lifestyle of a civil servant and the fact that it is hard to move out without suffering a paycut.

Being retrenched from civil service is unheard of. Being removed is possible, but that is if the guy did something really terrible, otherwise civil service is a rather... civil employer, definitely more civil than many companies in the private sector.

Reply With Quote
  #52 (permalink)  
Old 24-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fresh Grad from NUS

Hi to all the veterans here, would like to seek some advice from you all

I am a recent graduate from NUS, 2nd class lower in Economics(FASS). I have accepted a job offer from one of the ministries here, gross starting pay is 3K including NS increments. Under the MX12 scheme, salary range is $1970 - $5340

I would like to ask the following

1)Roughly How much are the yearly increments? Each increment equates to a rank in the pay grade?

2)How many ranks would there be, in for example, the MX12 pay grade.

3)What would the promotion prosepects be like? Promotion to the next pay grade, MX11?

4)Given that i peform average-ly compared to my peers, where should i see myself in 5-10 years' time?

Sounds like a little ambitious when i haven't started work, but i would like to plan ahead and give myself something to aim for, rather than just work and be lost.

Reply With Quote
  #53 (permalink)  
Old 24-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi to all the veterans here, would like to seek some advice from you all

I am a recent graduate from NUS, 2nd class lower in Economics(FASS). I have accepted a job offer from one of the ministries here, gross starting pay is 3K including NS increments. Under the MX12 scheme, salary range is $1970 - $5340

I would like to ask the following

1)Roughly How much are the yearly increments? Each increment equates to a rank in the pay grade?

2)How many ranks would there be, in for example, the MX12 pay grade.

3)What would the promotion prosepects be like? Promotion to the next pay grade, MX11?

4)Given that i peform average-ly compared to my peers, where should i see myself in 5-10 years' time?

Sounds like a little ambitious when i haven't started work, but i would like to plan ahead and give myself something to aim for, rather than just work and be lost.

Congrats on getting a job.

1) The increments range from 100 - 200 per year. Depending on your ministry, boss, performance etc.
2) The old scheme has a junior and senior rank per grade but i think with the revised MX scheme they removed it. Check with HR?
3) For normal grads and if you work "normally" you should be promoted to MX 11 in your 3rd year of service (eg after 3 years) if not, time to jump ship my friend

Should you decide to stay 5 - 10 years, you should expect at least 2-3 grade promotions, a section head for your div dept

PS, i was once fresh grad like you, with the same ambitions etc. But really ministries are not staying as a career unless you plan on retireement or start a family (for woman). Good to plan ahead, and best wishes for your first job.

Reply With Quote
  #54 (permalink)  
Old 26-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Congrats on getting a job.

1) The increments range from 100 - 200 per year. Depending on your ministry, boss, performance etc.
2) The old scheme has a junior and senior rank per grade but i think with the revised MX scheme they removed it. Check with HR?
3) For normal grads and if you work "normally" you should be promoted to MX 11 in your 3rd year of service (eg after 3 years) if not, time to jump ship my friend

Should you decide to stay 5 - 10 years, you should expect at least 2-3 grade promotions, a section head for your div dept

PS, i was once fresh grad like you, with the same ambitions etc. But really ministries are not staying as a career unless you plan on retireement or start a family (for woman). Good to plan ahead, and best wishes for your first job.

On point no.3, promoted to MX11 in third year of service is considered rare rather than the normal. Plus TS has a second lower, slightly disadvantageous in the grand scheme of things. Staying on 5-10 years and getting 2-3 grade promotions is reasonable provided that TS performs slightly better than his peers at his ministry.

On the point about ministries not staying as a career, i beg to differ. To each his own, civil service pays quite well and its stability can be a plus point. One is encouraged to do postings at different ministries to get exposure too.
Reply With Quote
  #55 (permalink)  
Old 26-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default approring sunrises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
the second time I joined the stat board, I was close to 30. Obviously I got a bad deal taking 4.2k/mth at that age. However, my pte sector experience did help and I was promoted up one grade every year. Yes, it was quite rare, I was the top performer every year outdoing the scholars. I eventually left because of the glass ceiling for non-scholars.
Mind if I ask is being a scholar really that important in stat boards? what kind of scholars are you referring to? LKY scholar? President scholar? or any kind of scholars will do? I my self is a professional engineers board scholar. I was wondering if I'm considered a "scholar" if i were to join a stat board?
Reply With Quote
  #56 (permalink)  
Old 26-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

does anyone knows hows career prospect like with PUB? I have just graduated from NTU and heard that PUB pays the best among all stats board during a career talk by PUB. is that true?
Reply With Quote

  #57 (permalink)  
Old 27-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
does anyone knows hows career prospect like with PUB? I have just graduated from NTU and heard that PUB pays the best among all stats board during a career talk by PUB. is that true?
what i heard is different. i heard mindef related agencies, i.e. DSTA, pay the most for starting salaries. but my seniors told me, you gotta quickly pick up skills and leave in 1-2years to join MNCs and consulting firms, else your market value will drop as time goes by. i think it's a good strategy.
Reply With Quote
  #58 (permalink)  
Old 28-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
what i heard is different. i heard mindef related agencies, i.e. DSTA, pay the most for starting salaries. but my seniors told me, you gotta quickly pick up skills and leave in 1-2years to join MNCs and consulting firms, else your market value will drop as time goes by. i think it's a good strategy.
so what is the starting pay for dsta for year 2010 for fresh grad?
Reply With Quote
  #59 (permalink)  
Old 28-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
On point no.3, promoted to MX11 in third year of service is considered rare rather than the normal. Plus TS has a second lower, slightly disadvantageous in the grand scheme of things. Staying on 5-10 years and getting 2-3 grade promotions is reasonable provided that TS performs slightly better than his peers at his ministry.

On the point about ministries not staying as a career, i beg to differ. To each his own, civil service pays quite well and its stability can be a plus point. One is encouraged to do postings at different ministries to get exposure too.

Not really i think. promoted to MX 11 after 3 years of service is normal. Promotion after one year service is rare.

of course it is to each his own, but for a fresh grad, perhaps by going the private sector and exp more, it is a better way of staying in the ministries as a career since grad. on the other hand, staying as a mid career switch maybe a good choice because of stability etc.

By the scholar, they usually mean those plp who have 5As or H1 in their A levels and have accepted a scholarship from one of the ministries or stats board.
Reply With Quote
  #60 (permalink)  
Old 28-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
On point no.3, promoted to MX11 in third year of service is considered rare rather than the normal. Plus TS has a second lower, slightly disadvantageous in the grand scheme of things. Staying on 5-10 years and getting 2-3 grade promotions is reasonable provided that TS performs slightly better than his peers at his ministry.

On the point about ministries not staying as a career, i beg to differ. To each his own, civil service pays quite well and its stability can be a plus point. One is encouraged to do postings at different ministries to get exposure too.
I don't think getting 2-3 promotions in 5-10 years is the norm. 3 promotions will get you to MX9 which pays more than 10k. You have to be a high flier to reach that level in your mid-thirties. That said, civil servants nowadays are drawing very decent salaries.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
civil servants, civil service, government, law, lawyer, mx scale, public sector, scholar, scholarship, superscale

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Civil Service Pay - Director level curious Income and Jobs 149 15-06-2021 09:35 AM
Civil Service Bonus 2007 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 9 18-03-2010 12:42 PM
High Earners In Civil Service Salary.sg Income and Jobs 29 28-04-2009 10:29 AM
HK civil service salary hike Salary.sg Income and Jobs 5 21-11-2008 11:57 PM
Civil Service Bonus mid-2008 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 6 15-07-2008 01:40 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
17,170 Replies, 5,295,716 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,893 Replies, 1,501,135 Views
CIMB Apprentice 2024 ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 441 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,234 Replies, 3,893,405 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,841 Replies, 2,477,598 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,443 Replies, 7,007,812 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
21,274 Replies, 10,653,655 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,874 Replies, 1,550,543 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,492 Replies, 2,487,755 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,992 Replies, 4,820,536 Views
INL Agency? Brand Communication...
1 Replies, 102 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,938 Replies, 2,960,562 Views
Civil Service Current Estimated... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
191 Replies, 324,009 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
895 Replies, 424,687 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,319 Replies, 672,756 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,603 Replies, 1,441,035 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,190 Replies, 1,128,943 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
184 Replies, 236,066 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,174 Replies, 666,153 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
776 Replies, 452,708 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,373 Replies, 1,196,028 Views
Insights on Post-interview Process
8 Replies, 4,264 Views
Civil Servant Bonus Mid-2023 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
168 Replies, 164,894 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,867 Replies, 1,621,269 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
342 Replies, 391,773 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,480 Replies, 3,549,594 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,478 Replies, 12,762,548 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
429 Replies, 516,168 Views
Changi Airport Group ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
473 Replies, 641,617 Views
CAD (Commercial Affairs Department) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
231 Replies, 262,325 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2