Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 26-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Congrats on getting a job.

1) The increments range from 100 - 200 per year. Depending on your ministry, boss, performance etc.
2) The old scheme has a junior and senior rank per grade but i think with the revised MX scheme they removed it. Check with HR?
3) For normal grads and if you work "normally" you should be promoted to MX 11 in your 3rd year of service (eg after 3 years) if not, time to jump ship my friend

Should you decide to stay 5 - 10 years, you should expect at least 2-3 grade promotions, a section head for your div dept

PS, i was once fresh grad like you, with the same ambitions etc. But really ministries are not staying as a career unless you plan on retireement or start a family (for woman). Good to plan ahead, and best wishes for your first job.

On point no.3, promoted to MX11 in third year of service is considered rare rather than the normal. Plus TS has a second lower, slightly disadvantageous in the grand scheme of things. Staying on 5-10 years and getting 2-3 grade promotions is reasonable provided that TS performs slightly better than his peers at his ministry.

On the point about ministries not staying as a career, i beg to differ. To each his own, civil service pays quite well and its stability can be a plus point. One is encouraged to do postings at different ministries to get exposure too.