How much is your annual passive income? - Page 13 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How much is your annual passive income?

Old 14-04-2017, 09:06 AM
Unregistered

Uncle, put on your glasses read again lah.
Dunno how to read still comment what the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hate to break the news to you. Studies have shown that successful males are less likely to suffer from ED than their less successful and struggling counterparts.

So if you are suffering from ED, it could be stress induced meaning you are not coping well with your job/life.

I am happy to have high networth people coming here to share. It definitely provides a more balanced viewpoint. They give us glimpses of what is possible out there (or even within this limited group of forummers)

This forum would really be a gloomy and self defeating forum if only losers come here to gripe, complain and curse.

Old 14-04-2017, 11:02 PM
Unregistered

Default AK71 fan

Actually AK71 is really making good passive income 12,000 pm= 144,000 per year in divvy. (anything more than that, is really beyond my understanding anyways)

for mere peasants like us, we can only imagine.

for me for a start, I only rented 1 room out for $600 pm. And buy some dividend stocks such as singtel, starhub, ocbc another 4.75% divvy = $ 4800 per year.

total = 12000 per year = 1000 pm. well it is not alot but it is still something we are working on..

Old 15-04-2017, 07:38 AM
Unregistered

How old are you? If you are still in your 20s or 30s, I would say it's a good start. We all need to start somewhere and usually the first steps are small steps (unless you have inheritance)

Investing for passive income is all about the SIZE of your capital, see my post #114.

For the typical wage earner, like myself, it will take us 30 years or longer to build up substantial capital for investment to generate meaningful passive income that can sustain your retirement lifestyle. AK71 is really one of the few exceptions where he was not really earning a high salary (maybe $7k to 8k pm) and yet he was able to build up a substantial capital to invest to generate that $150k passive income per year. Read that he made it big by investing heavily during the global financial crisis.

Our passive income is currently $150k as well, but it was slow journey for us. It took us 30 years of continuous working, saving and investing to achieve this level. But as you get older like us, you would want to place more of your money on safer bets meaning lower returns.

Thus even though our HH NW is well above $6M, we are only achieving $150k passive income per year, but we sleep very well at night. Peace of mind is priceless.

In the meantime, together with our salaries, we are seeing our NW grow by $350k per year on average.

Quote:
Actually AK71 is really making good passive income 12,000 pm= 144,000 per year in divvy. (anything more than that, is really beyond my understanding anyways)

for mere peasants like us, we can only imagine.

for me for a start, I only rented 1 room out for $600 pm. And buy some dividend stocks such as singtel, starhub, ocbc another 4.75% divvy = $ 4800 per year.

total = 12000 per year = 1000 pm. well it is not alot but it is still something we are working on..

Old 15-04-2017, 10:31 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
How old are you? If you are still in your 20s or 30s, I would say it's a good start. We all need to start somewhere and usually the first steps are small steps (unless you have inheritance)

Investing for passive income is all about the SIZE of your capital, see my post #114.

For the typical wage earner, like myself, it will take us 30 years or longer to build up substantial capital for investment to generate meaningful passive income that can sustain your retirement lifestyle. AK71 is really one of the few exceptions where he was not really earning a high salary (maybe $7k to 8k pm) and yet he was able to build up a substantial capital to invest to generate that $150k passive income per year. Read that he made it big by investing heavily during the global financial crisis.

Our passive income is currently $150k as well, but it was slow journey for us. It took us 30 years of continuous working, saving and investing to achieve this level. But as you get older like us, you would want to place more of your money on safer bets meaning lower returns.

Thus even though our HH NW is well above $6M, we are only achieving $150k passive income per year, but we sleep very well at night. Peace of mind is priceless.

In the meantime, together with our salaries, we are seeing our NW grow by $350k per year on average.
At a NW of "well above $6M" and estimating your age to be around 55 / 56, what is stopping you from retirement with a passive income of $150k per year? I understand that adding $350k per year to your retirement sum is difficult to let go but surely you must have a target in mind (whether NW of $8M and/or passive income of $200k/year etc.). Is your plan to work until 62 or when your company does not need your services anymore? There is one school of thought that once you have reach a comfortable retirement sum, you should retire and enjoy your fruits of labour because no one knows how long we have to live. Personally I lean more towards your thinking of working as long as possible but with a target in mind because it cannot be a case of working until our last day on this earth.
Old 15-04-2017, 10:59 AM
Unregistered

Human greed knows no boundaries.

Fooled by the glitter of gold.

Always want more and more.
Old 15-04-2017, 11:09 AM
Unregistered

Retirement/work, Financial security, health and family/friends are four of the most important things in life. Thus we should invest time on each of them and avoid making hasty decisions on any of them.

Health: someone once said "when you have health, you can have everything". I agree that health is very important, but health without wealth and family/friends will lead to a miserable life.

Many posters here argued strongly that they want to retire to regain back their health. But I would urge them not to retire hastily. If you are unwell, you must know the root cause of your illness. If its work induced, then change work/job. Retiring hastily is reckless. If your ill health is due to something else, then staying on in your work may make more sense as your medical bills will be covered by your company or work insurance. Once retired, you will have to handle all your medical bills on your own. This will greatly impact your retirement security.

Financial security: We have achieved financial security for sure. By that I mean that we could retire now and our savings/passive income will outlast us. We thought about what we would/could do in retirement versus what we are doing now while in employment. There are very few differences. We have our regular holidays every year, we attend live concerts, we enjoy our regular games and exercise regularly at our condo. I guess when we retire, we could sleep more? We could stay longer in a foreign country longer when we travel? We could play more games? We can take on new hobbies? Right now the differences are too small to matter.

As such the pull factor for us to retire is very weak and there is no push factor for us to leave our jobs.

The yearly growth of our NW by $350k on average is only one of the many factors why we want to work till the retirement age of 62, maybe beyond. Another factor is the sense of self worth. That we are still valued by the company and that we can still contribute meaningfully.

Quote:
At a NW of "well above $6M" and estimating your age to be around 55 / 56, what is stopping you from retirement with a passive income of $150k per year? I understand that adding $350k per year to your retirement sum is difficult to let go but surely you must have a target in mind (whether NW of $8M and/or passive income of $200k/year etc.). Is your plan to work until 62 or when your company does not need your services anymore? There is one school of thought that once you have reach a comfortable retirement sum, you should retire and enjoy your fruits of labour because no one knows how long we have to live. Personally I lean more towards your thinking of working as long as possible but with a target in mind because it cannot be a case of working until our last day on this earth.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app

Old 15-04-2017, 03:43 PM
Unregistered

If you are referring to the hundreds of people, who each year, fell prey to "get rich quick " scams, then yes - people are greedy and thought money would come easily to them without hard work and perseverance.

The people who invest blindly in instruments that promised returns of 10% or more per quarter or per year - yes, all were driven by greed.

They want more and more and they want them quick. And as we know, the end results are not pretty. All ended up losing most, if not, all of their life savings.

But people who work honestly and save and invest diligently, consistently and endured are a different breed altogether. These people are to be admired for their doggedness and perseverance. At this day and age, if you are still employed in your mid 50s and above, you are among a rare breed. They should be held up as role models.

They are not just ensuring that they are financially independent in their old age, but are also ensuring that they will not burden their children in their retirement years. When they pass on, the very successful ones will even ensure that children will also have financial security in their retirement by leaving them a large inheritance. Their children, by that time, would be in their late 50s or 60s would definitely welcome such inheritance as they go into their own retirement.

Quote:
Human greed knows no boundaries.

Fooled by the glitter of gold.

Always want more and more.
Old 15-04-2017, 04:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Retirement/work, Financial security, health and family/friends are four of the most important things in life. Thus we should invest time on each of them and avoid making hasty decisions on any of them.

Health: someone once said "when you have health, you can have everything". I agree that health is very important, but health without wealth and family/friends will lead to a miserable life.

Many posters here argued strongly that they want to retire to regain back their health. But I would urge them not to retire hastily. If you are unwell, you must know the root cause of your illness. If its work induced, then change work/job. Retiring hastily is reckless. If your ill health is due to something else, then staying on in your work may make more sense as your medical bills will be covered by your company or work insurance. Once retired, you will have to handle all your medical bills on your own. This will greatly impact your retirement security.

Financial security: We have achieved financial security for sure. By that I mean that we could retire now and our savings/passive income will outlast us. We thought about what we would/could do in retirement versus what we are doing now while in employment. There are very few differences. We have our regular holidays every year, we attend live concerts, we enjoy our regular games and exercise regularly at our condo. I guess when we retire, we could sleep more? We could stay longer in a foreign country longer when we travel? We could play more games? We can take on new hobbies? Right now the differences are too small to matter.

As such the pull factor for us to retire is very weak and there is no push factor for us to leave our jobs.

The yearly growth of our NW by $350k on average is only one of the many factors why we want to work till the retirement age of 62, maybe beyond. Another factor is the sense of self worth. That we are still valued by the company and that we can still contribute meaningfully.
Could you share what are the products (shares, bonds and/or property etc.) that you invest in to produce $150k a year passive income? More importantly what is the size of investment that it takes for you to produce the $150k passive income per annum.
Old 16-04-2017, 11:47 AM
Unregistered

I have been reading many posts from this forum saying that buying reits is a good source of generating passive income. But I heard that it is not as simple as buying and then hold out for dividend. There is a need to maintain or paying some kind of fee in order for consistent payout. Is that true? Any guru able to share their thoughts?
Old 18-04-2017, 01:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I have been reading many posts from this forum saying that buying reits is a good source of generating passive income. But I heard that it is not as simple as buying and then hold out for dividend. There is a need to maintain or paying some kind of fee in order for consistent payout. Is that true? Any guru able to share their thoughts?
I'm not a guru. But I've been buying REITS for some time. There is no fee to be paid, except for the one-off transaction/admin charges you pay when you buy the REIT, no different from buying other shares.