Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much is your annual passive income?
View Single Post
Old 15-04-2017, 04:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Retirement/work, Financial security, health and family/friends are four of the most important things in life. Thus we should invest time on each of them and avoid making hasty decisions on any of them.

Health: someone once said "when you have health, you can have everything". I agree that health is very important, but health without wealth and family/friends will lead to a miserable life.

Many posters here argued strongly that they want to retire to regain back their health. But I would urge them not to retire hastily. If you are unwell, you must know the root cause of your illness. If its work induced, then change work/job. Retiring hastily is reckless. If your ill health is due to something else, then staying on in your work may make more sense as your medical bills will be covered by your company or work insurance. Once retired, you will have to handle all your medical bills on your own. This will greatly impact your retirement security.

Financial security: We have achieved financial security for sure. By that I mean that we could retire now and our savings/passive income will outlast us. We thought about what we would/could do in retirement versus what we are doing now while in employment. There are very few differences. We have our regular holidays every year, we attend live concerts, we enjoy our regular games and exercise regularly at our condo. I guess when we retire, we could sleep more? We could stay longer in a foreign country longer when we travel? We could play more games? We can take on new hobbies? Right now the differences are too small to matter.

As such the pull factor for us to retire is very weak and there is no push factor for us to leave our jobs.

The yearly growth of our NW by $350k on average is only one of the many factors why we want to work till the retirement age of 62, maybe beyond. Another factor is the sense of self worth. That we are still valued by the company and that we can still contribute meaningfully.
Could you share what are the products (shares, bonds and/or property etc.) that you invest in to produce $150k a year passive income? More importantly what is the size of investment that it takes for you to produce the $150k passive income per annum.