Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How much are you earning per annum?

Old 23-06-2014, 06:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This is very true. Ever since I moved to my condo, my colleagues, friends and relatives look up to me while my boss gives me the respect look and speak nicely to me.
Naive.......

Old 23-06-2014, 09:35 PM
Unregistered

50/51 couple, combined salary $145k pa. Lives in a 5 room HDB flat (central location), worth $900k, fully paid off mortgage. 2 teenage kids, boy and girl. Combined net worth, $2m.

When we retire at 65, we will buy a HDB studio flat, costing $70k only. We will have about $2.5m for our retirement. Is this enough?

Old 23-06-2014, 10:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
This is very true. Ever since I moved to my condo, my colleagues, friends and relatives look up to me while my boss gives me the respect look and speak nicely to me.
Really? Sounds like the people around you are kinda superficial.

I live in a landed property just before anyone accuses me of being green eyed.

Old 24-06-2014, 01:26 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Really? Sounds like the people around you are kinda superficial.

I live in a landed property just before anyone accuses me of being green eyed.
Like it or not, I think it is quite true. Living in a condo is a strong status symbol, and we all know how differently people treat each other according to their status, superficial or not.

A condo is a gated community that separates you and your family from the rest of the public housing dwellers, granting you exclusivity of space. No longer will urine and trash greet you in that staircases and elevators, or unruly and inconsiderate neighbors.

It is well known that locals do look at you differently if you tell them you live in a condo, and for very good reasons.
Old 24-06-2014, 07:12 AM
Unregistered

Totally agree. My wife and I have been aiming to upgrade when the timing is right. We are now actively searching for a good deal. Sellers are now more realistic. We plan to sell our HDB flat now, valued at $700k, and buy a new resale (less than 2 years old) condo selling at $1m. Our loan will only be $300k which will be paid via our CPF OA.

Quote:
Like it or not, I think it is quite true. Living in a condo is a strong status symbol, and we all know how differently people treat each other according to their status, superficial or not.

A condo is a gated community that separates you and your family from the rest of the public housing dwellers, granting you exclusivity of space. No longer will urine and trash greet you in that staircases and elevators, or unruly and inconsiderate neighbors.

It is well known that locals do look at you differently if you tell them you live in a condo, and for very good reasons.
Old 24-06-2014, 11:28 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Totally agree. My wife and I have been aiming to upgrade when the timing is right. We are now actively searching for a good deal. Sellers are now more realistic. We plan to sell our HDB flat now, valued at $700k, and buy a new resale (less than 2 years old) condo selling at $1m. Our loan will only be $300k which will be paid via our CPF OA.
$700k HDB to a $1m condo....surely u have degraded to smaller house..

Old 24-06-2014, 11:37 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

My HDB is a beautiful house with a great neighborhood. All my children having better chance to play with children from families of all levels, my next doors are also professional like myself....I love HDB.
Old 24-06-2014, 03:10 PM
Unregistered

Good for you.

HDB nowadays are built very well especially the DBSS ones. They are almost as good as condos minus the facilities and exclusiveness.

One shouldnt have to depend on material things to shore up your status and self esteem. Many shrewd and successful people are happily living in their HDB flats.

I moved into a condo because of the facilities that the condo offered not because of the status. Instead of wasting precious time driving to public facilities (swimming pool, tennis courts and gym) when I was staying in HDB, I now have the convenience of just walking to the facilities in the condo. Also I dont have the constraint of time. I used to face a lot of inertia going to the gym after a hard days work. The thought of having to pack my gear, drive to the public gym and swimming pool was enough to deter me. Now, I just walk down to them.

And the best part is the exclusiveness. At times, especially in the evenings, the condo pool is almost empty and you have the whole pool to yourself. After a rigorous swim, I would chill out by the pool side and enjoy quiet time by myself. In the public pool, after my swim, I used to quickly shower and head back home.

Quote:
My HDB is a beautiful house with a great neighborhood. All my children having better chance to play with children from families of all levels, my next doors are also professional like myself....I love HDB.
Old 24-06-2014, 03:16 PM
Unregistered

Without doubt, to be able to afford a condo in Singapore is a big achievement. I encourage those who aspire to own one but cannot afford to work harder. Instead of wasting time surfing filth on the internet, you are better off taking a 2nd job (eg relief taxi driver) so that you can save and finally able to afford a condo.
Old 24-06-2014, 05:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Good for you.

HDB nowadays are built very well especially the DBSS ones. They are almost as good as condos minus the facilities and exclusiveness.

One shouldnt have to depend on material things to shore up your status and self esteem. Many shrewd and successful people are happily living in their HDB flats.

I moved into a condo because of the facilities that the condo offered not because of the status. Instead of wasting precious time driving to public facilities (swimming pool, tennis courts and gym) when I was staying in HDB, I now have the convenience of just walking to the facilities in the condo. Also I dont have the constraint of time. I used to face a lot of inertia going to the gym after a hard days work. The thought of having to pack my gear, drive to the public gym and swimming pool was enough to deter me. Now, I just walk down to them.

And the best part is the exclusiveness. At times, especially in the evenings, the condo pool is almost empty and you have the whole pool to yourself. After a rigorous swim, I would chill out by the pool side and enjoy quiet time by myself. In the public pool, after my swim, I used to quickly shower and head back home.
My HDB is a stone throw away from a Safra country club...it has more than those condo miniature facilities.