PhD salary - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

PhD salary

Old 18-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Unregistered

yes, Phd experience is valued. Usually, Phd is hired as Senior Engineer which most MS or undergrads will take some time to reach after working. So, you do skip 2-3-4 years. After that, if you are good, you can rise faster. Phd is advantageous in my opinion even if u go in a unrelated area. But u will have to learn new stuff which is not that hard since u can read n learn. U have to realize that People in Industries are mostly good at One Single thing. They lack diversity. But Phd gives u an edge to adapt quickly. Ur Phd will help bcus it taught u one skill most people dont have ----i.e., How to SEEK KNOWLEDGE

U shd realize that as PHD , u know one topic but not others. If its not relevant to your new job, many MS and undergrads will know better than you. But people hire Phd hoping that you can learn fast. So, if you are new to the area, it may take time but you will have to cope up.

MSc research is not so important. But still MSc is more of a specialization than BSc.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 18-02-2010, 06:59 PM

bgx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
yes, Phd experience is valued. Usually, Phd is hired as Senior Engineer which most MS or undergrads will take some time to reach after working. So, you do skip 2-3-4 years. After that, if you are good, you can rise faster. Phd is advantageous in my opinion even if u go in a unrelated area. But u will have to learn new stuff which is not that hard since u can read n learn. U have to realize that People in Industries are mostly good at One Single thing. They lack diversity. But Phd gives u an edge to adapt quickly. Ur Phd will help bcus it taught u one skill most people dont have ----i.e., How to SEEK KNOWLEDGE

U shd realize that as PHD , u know one topic but not others. If its not relevant to your new job, many MS and undergrads will know better than you. But people hire Phd hoping that you can learn fast. So, if you are new to the area, it may take time but you will have to cope up.

MSc research is not so important. But still MSc is more of a specialization than BSc.
Thanks for your reply that I found out very useful.
Are typical MNC in Singapore fair in allocating the position with experience, or do they try to rip off people, i.e. try to put someone in the junior position if he/she may be qualified for the senior one?

Old 10-04-2011, 12:21 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgx View Post
Thanks for your reply that I found out very useful.
Are typical MNC in Singapore fair in allocating the position with experience, or do they try to rip off people, i.e. try to put someone in the junior position if he/she may be qualified for the senior one?
u can consider another path. join stat boards.

if u got civil ENG PHD u can join URA/LTA/BCA etc
u are likely to be placed as senior/principal engineer/analyst

Old 10-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgx View Post
Hi,

I am getting an interview for a job in an Singapore branch of a European-based civil engineering consultancy. I am sure that the will ask my salary expectation in the interview.

I just completed a PhD at a reputable university in UK (funded by a UK research council and my university). I did an MSc in another country in western Europe prior to the PhD. I only have less than 1 year experience, in a slightly different field though. How does multinational company in Singapore values postgraduate degree from good universities in Europe? Could anyone let me know what salary range I should expect? Can I get something around 4000-6000 ? is there normally allowance included?

Many thanks. Your comments are very appreciated!

Teach in NUS.
And don't do it for less than SGD10K a month.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by NtriZ View Post
As an alternative, being a Prof. in Singapore certainly pays very well. Starting with Asst. Prof, you will be able to earn around 5K plus oportunities for paid overseas trip(s) for conference(s). In addition, if you're not a Singaporean, NUS/NTU will top-up the salary for you accordingly (as this $$ is supposed to be credited to any local professionals at up to 14.5% of stated monthly salary, thus u'll earn up to 114.5% of contracted salary, excluding bonuses. YES! Teachers/Professors in Singapore do earn bonuses!)

Cheers!
NTU pays at least S$8000+ (and to S$16,000) to assit. Profs. It depends on the fields.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

hope everyone in the industry think the same way as you.
After I got my phd, I also decide to get a job in industry and get some interview.
I found that some of the manager of MNC do not like Phd, especially those with only master or BS degree. After go into work, I find in r&d department, some of the people only get diploma, but they continue study to get some part time degree. They think that we, who get phd degree, lack of problem-solving skill on new items. some of them act maliciously.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:10 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
After I got my phd, I also decide to get a job in industry and get some interview.
I found that some of the manager of MNC do not like Phd, especially those with only master or BS degree. After go into work, I find in r&d department, some of the people only get diploma, but they continue study to get some part time degree. They think that we, who get phd degree, lack of problem-solving skill on new items. some of them act maliciously.
Don't really understand what you are saying, but generally PhDs are people with very narrow skills. In fact, most professors and researchers, especially those in this part of the world, keep churning on the same topics. Some have stuck to only their PhD thesis topic and kept on churning variations of it for publications.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Unregistered

I am amazed by your post. Shouldn't a research have an open mind? Why would people act maliciously just because you have a PhD?

I don't think the first thing that comes the mind of colleagues I worked with, is that I am a PhD. Earn your colleagues' respect by showing that you're worth your salt and I am sure they would give you yours.

As for interviews, how do you know that the hiring manager does not have a PhD? If the reason they don't hire you is because of your PhD, why would they waste their time to even interview you? Some decisions not to hire were not due to their PhD, but their comm skills or expectations.

Quote:
Old 11-08-2011, 12:53 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I am amazed by your post. Shouldn't a research have an open mind? Why would people act maliciously just because you have a PhD?

I don't think the first thing that comes the mind of colleagues I worked with, is that I am a PhD. Earn your colleagues' respect by showing that you're worth your salt and I am sure they would give you yours.

As for interviews, how do you know that the hiring manager does not have a PhD? If the reason they don't hire you is because of your PhD, why would they waste their time to even interview you? Some decisions not to hire were not due to their PhD, but their comm skills or expectations.
PhD Big ****.

everywhere you go now there are PhD holders. Stay in education where you belong and leave the other jobs in 'unrelated' fields to those with BSc and MSc.

there are too many PhD holders now, taking jobs ranging from research to corporate functions and it's driving down our salaries and progressions.

if you have a PhD in Engineering, you should stay in Engineering where you BELONG.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Unregistered

PhDs are getting so common that even in the polytechnic context, they derive the same pay and career path. The is the direction that Singapore is heading towards.