How is life as a doctor in Singapore? - Page 230 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




How is life as a doctor in Singapore?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #2291 (permalink)  
Old 14-06-2021, 09:09 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thank you for your answer.
I asked because 30 hours seem crazy, I can't even stay awake 20 hours. And I am not the smartest out there... no awards, no nothing. How do I know I can survive medicine before entering medicine. If the school selects you, does that mean you are good enough? That you probably can make it?
I wanted to do medicine because i want to work for doctors without borders. But people tell me its too idealistic and that to do medicine it is more than wanting to help people
I should be a therapist or a psychologist instead
Hey, keep your idealism and dreams to make an impact in this world!
At the same time, do explore and read up on people who have done so through other routes.
Read through profiles of people you look up to - politicians, economists, activists, entrepreneurs, tech gurus...
There are many ways to help people.

Most doctors help people on a one on one basis most of the time, even if you are Singapore's top surgeon with multiple fellowships all over the world.
Except maybe public health doctors, researchers, healthcare admin (prolly at least a good 10-20 years later once you are more established) - this group helps a larger group / wider population at one go.
I used to think that I would enjoy the one-on-one interaction, but now looking back after 7-8 years into the profession, I might have picked something else.

Reply With Quote
  #2292 (permalink)  
Old 14-06-2021, 09:35 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Dying on operating table does not happen often. If the patient is not fit for surgery they should not be on the operating table in fhe first place.

Surgeon and anesthetist will not agree to go ahead. Also all death on operating table becomes coroner case and puts both surgeon and anesthetist in the hot seat for possible negligence and malpractice lawsuit.

Seeing people die in ER is probably what you were referring to which is common.
It's actually quite hard to die on the operating table.
Either a massive stroke or a massive heart attack. Nowadays rarely got complications from the surgery itself.

In the past , after a failed operation, the surgeons will send to surgical ICU with strict instructions to keep patient alive by hook or by crook for 24 hours. After that die, can sign up as pneumonia.

Reply With Quote
  #2293 (permalink)  
Old 14-06-2021, 09:48 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hey, keep your idealism and dreams to make an impact in this world!
At the same time, do explore and read up on people who have done so through other routes.
Read through profiles of people you look up to - politicians, economists, activists, entrepreneurs, tech gurus...
There are many ways to help people.

Most doctors help people on a one on one basis most of the time, even if you are Singapore's top surgeon with multiple fellowships all over the world.
Except maybe public health doctors, researchers, healthcare admin (prolly at least a good 10-20 years later once you are more established) - this group helps a larger group / wider population at one go.
I used to think that I would enjoy the one-on-one interaction, but now looking back after 7-8 years into the profession, I might have picked something else.
Indeed this one to one limitation is a big downside. It also limits leveragr.

There are some similarities to prostitution.

Reply With Quote
  #2294 (permalink)  
Old 14-06-2021, 01:31 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

How do you take the smell the first time you go to a mortuary as a med student?
Reply With Quote
  #2295 (permalink)  
Old 14-06-2021, 07:24 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Just curious, do HOMO always have to be in scrubs or only on certain days. How about AC/C, when do they wear scrubs or are they always in office wear
Reply With Quote
  #2296 (permalink)  
Old 15-06-2021, 12:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Sounds a silly question, but are we allowed to claim transport via grab (for mohh employees) if we work on weekends/public holiday (e.g rounding /call etc)

My understanding is we can and have been claiming for years (since I started work in 2017) but just received an email from mohh saying I need to pay them back (all the grab fees) as we are not allowed to claim..
Reply With Quote

  #2297 (permalink)  
Old 15-06-2021, 12:36 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sounds a silly question, but are we allowed to claim transport via grab (for mohh employees) if we work on weekends/public holiday (e.g rounding /call etc)

My understanding is we can and have been claiming for years (since I started work in 2017) but just received an email from mohh saying I need to pay them back (all the grab fees) as we are not allowed to claim..
Lol there's a new policy. Cannot be for call as included already in call pay. How much did they ask u to pay back? They asked me to pay like 60 bucks ..
Reply With Quote
  #2298 (permalink)  
Old 15-06-2021, 12:49 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Any benefits for medical doctors in learning skills like acupuncture and being accredited for it.


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #2299 (permalink)  
Old 15-06-2021, 01:45 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Lol there's a new policy. Cannot be for call as included already in call pay. How much did they ask u to pay back? They asked me to pay like 60 bucks ..
Mine is 500 bucks. Lol mohh so stingy nowadays..
Wondering what happens if you don't pay, they deduct from your salary?
Reply With Quote
  #2300 (permalink)  
Old 15-06-2021, 02:15 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Any benefits for medical doctors in learning skills like acupuncture and being accredited for it.
Canít think of any benefits if youíre in public sector.
Maybe if you are in acute pain service or sth maybe you can offer it as a complementary service?
Canít fathom why one would spend time to learn it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What work-life balance? Salary.sg Income and Jobs 3 04-08-2022 11:49 PM
What happened to Life Sciences? Salary.sg Education and Personal Growth 50 22-05-2013 12:58 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,827 Replies, 1,177,037 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
421 Replies, 233,777 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,387 Replies, 4,455,369 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,715 Replies, 3,085,506 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,805 Replies, 2,075,156 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,734 Replies, 5,983,345 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,119 Replies, 586,665 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,852 Replies, 3,488,931 Views
NTU (non-faculty) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
148 Replies, 198,836 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
20,555 Replies, 9,686,154 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
769 Replies, 432,918 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,618 Replies, 927,202 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
539 Replies, 254,208 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
723 Replies, 326,596 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,533 Replies, 1,188,632 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,512 Replies, 1,382,035 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,892 Replies, 2,786,428 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,381 Replies, 1,274,329 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,797 Replies, 1,911,427 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,301 Replies, 1,039,911 Views
JTC (Jurong Town Corporation) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
54 Replies, 70,870 Views
Anyone work in JPM/GS/Morgan... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
353 Replies, 131,353 Views
Deutsche Bank Corporate Banking...
7 Replies, 3,347 Views
What are BAND 5 positions -... ( 1 2 3)
25 Replies, 11,551 Views
Visa Graduate Development Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
137 Replies, 102,963 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,554 Replies, 592,154 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
523 Replies, 307,513 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,698 Replies, 4,371,819 Views
Civil Service Bonus 2023 Year End
3 Replies, 2,246 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,052 Replies, 11,894,624 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2