Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 18-06-2020, 10:42 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Can someone clarify if an in-house 3PQE lawyer earns only 6k on average? In all honesty I find this quite appalling. That's around the figure big 4 A1/2s are drawing, and (from my understanding) similar to the average graduate with 4 years experience (taking into account 1 year of training/bar exam) in other private sector jobs.
Why is that appalling to you? Your understanding is correct, but why do you assume that a law graduate should earn that much more than an average graduate outside of private practice? Honestly, inhouse work can be done by pretty much any decently intelligent person who is in the industry. It is just traditionally done by lawyers because they already know the material. But it's not that much of a learning curve, because any real hard law gets thrown to a real law firm.

Old 18-06-2020, 11:27 AM
Unregistered

Default Inhouse financial sector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrego View Post
Currently working inhouse in the financial sector sitting at 3 pqe/6k. Job scope is fairly interesting, lots of exposure, growth opportunities and interaction with management. That said, HR business partner has hinted that I might not get promotion/pay raise despite great appraisals due to Covid. Note that 6k might seem low in this forum, although speaking with peers it seems right about there.

Happy to hear thoughts about whether my fellow 3 pqes will be fine with such a package, and if no, what are your reasons, taking into account job security/atmosphere.
Is this role legal related? Pay is low though the bonus component might compensate for that? Try moving into compliance related work? Might have better salary prospects.

Old 18-06-2020, 02:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Anyone have anything else to add?
Not sure if OP has shared his/her ultimate goals but if getting qualified is merely a 'badge collection' exercise of sorts, I don't think it is sufficient cause to leave right now.

Most law grads get qualified first because it is the most natural thing to do (and also since many a HR require their in-house to be qualified. This is increasingly less of a norm these days). Since OP is already in-house, I say stay on and be employed, and when the market stabilizes in (?) years... then apply for a 6 month no-pay leave to complete your TC. No rush to get qualified now unless not being qualified somehow = opportunity loss in your company insofar as salary is concerned cf. a similar level/rank peer who is qualified. Even then, the opportunity loss must be judged against your chances of finding a TC + getting retained and being remunerated decently in this climate.

I don't think part b results have an expiration date - so the above is based on this assumption. End of the day, the cons of leaving is so much more than the pros.

Old 18-06-2020, 02:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Is this role legal related? Pay is low though the bonus component might compensate for that? Try moving into compliance related work? Might have better salary prospects.
People seem to group in-house counsels under a single umbrella. In reality, there are many sub-categories within the in-house community and pay varies greatly [GREATLY] within these sub-categories. Generally, in-house counsels in the following roles will earn more than 6k at 3pqe:

(1) Banks - not compliance, but legal
(2) Regional in-house for F500/listed MNCs
(3) Fin-tech/Internet-related companies [think amazon, facebook, linked - all currently hiring btw!]
(4) IP counsels for pharma/luxury branks/brand enforcement teams

For the above roles... you should be thinking 7k-9k at 3pqe. I was at 7.5k (i thought it was low then, now i'm just glad i still have a job).

The kind of roles that pay 6k at 3pqe:

(1) Local companies.
(2) O&G/freight forwarding where the contracts are mainly standard form.
(3) Asian companies with a low pay-high bonus (depending on economy) kind of package. Think Japanese companies.
Old 18-06-2020, 02:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
People seem to group in-house counsels under a single umbrella. In reality, there are many sub-categories within the in-house community and pay varies greatly [GREATLY] within these sub-categories. Generally, in-house counsels in the following roles will earn more than 6k at 3pqe:

(3) Fin-tech/Internet-related companies [think amazon, facebook, linked - all currently hiring btw!]

For the above roles... you should be thinking 7k-9k at 3pqe. I was at 7.5k (i thought it was low then, now i'm just glad i still have a job).

(1) Local companies.
(3) Asian companies with a low pay-high bonus (depending on economy) kind of package. Think Japanese companies.
For OP, i'd say try pivoting into banking roles if you're already in the finance sector. Even with Covid - i know some banks are still investing heavily in the region.
Old 18-06-2020, 03:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

(1) Local companies.
OP of the 3 PQE post here.

Definitely true - in my case, I belong to (3) - Asian companies... Kind of a double whammy for me now since economy scuttled promotion/pay raise + high bonus.

For me, the main consideration then in accepting this role was, as mentioned due to the growth opportunities since I came from a non-FI/corporate background. I was willing to accept lower base across board because of this. Now that I have had the validation from management in the value of my work (as well as built self-confidence in the QC of my work), just wanted to find out a reasonable figure to push for, when the opportunity arises.

Grateful for the responses.

Old 18-06-2020, 03:52 PM
Unregistered

Default Tsmp

Hello! Can I ask if anyone has any views/ experiences about TSMP and its dispute resolution practice?
Old 18-06-2020, 03:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hello! Can I ask if anyone has any views/ experiences about TSMP and its dispute resolution practice?
Some good people. Some not so good people.
I had good experiences with Kelvin Koh.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 18-06-2020, 03:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I know R&T has an appeals practice group do any other firms have an equivalent? Do they really only do appeals or is it more of a this is what we're known for but we do trials too? Is it considered more prestigious/high calibre to be in the appeals team or do people see it as simply different skill sets? I think US lawyers specialize along this appeals/trials line and there isn't really a prestige difference you could be a damned good trial attorney and wouldn't be passed on in favor of an appeals lawyer but that could be due to their presence of juries at the trial level
I interned there before. I was told that it was set up when CJ Menon was still managing partner at R&T, and it was supposed to be like the US kind of exclusive appellate advocacy. but CJ left shortly after it was formed and lets just say it didnt become what it was supposed to be. they do general commercial liti work and also advisory work for banks. nth glamorous. in fact, compared to the Com Lit dept, they probably go to the SGCA less frequently.
Old 18-06-2020, 03:58 PM
Unregistered

Default Tsmp

Quote:
Some good people. Some not so good people.
I had good experiences with Kelvin Koh.
what about the work life and pay generally