Lawyer Salary - Page 58 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #571 (permalink)  
Old 14-01-2016, 09:05 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Heard that it's going to fall quite substantially this year by 800-1k.
Nah dont think that will happen. Salaries are quite resistant to change. At most a few hundred difference.



Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #572 (permalink)  
Old 15-01-2016, 12:02 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Heard that it's going to fall quite substantially this year by 800-1k.
that's what they said for last year too. didn't happen.

In most of the established bigger firms, base salaries are likely to remain the same. while we won't be seeing increases, there isn't likely going to be a reduction in base salaries. can't say the same of course, for the one or two man law firms.

what is likely to happen though, is the shifting of the frontloading component back to a discretionary bonus component, which will then be cut.

as such, all-in takehome compensation will still fall, but at least you can still take home a neat monthly paycheck every month. that is of course cold comfort when you see your end year bonus though, by which time you will seriously think about rage quitting and start applying to other firms...

Reply With Quote
  #573 (permalink)  
Old 15-01-2016, 03:04 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
as such, all-in takehome compensation will still fall, but at least you can still take home a neat monthly paycheck every month. that is of course cold comfort when you see your end year bonus though, by which time you will seriously think about rage quitting and start applying to other firms...
Apply to which firms if this is an industry practise?

Reply With Quote
  #574 (permalink)  
Old 15-01-2016, 07:01 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Apply to which firms if this is an industry practise?
Look the bonus or lack thereof is merely the catalyst to leave. The real reasons are because you cant stand the job, the environment, your boss, you feel unappreciated, there's a more attractive firm etc. It is all highly subjective and the grass is always greener at the other boiler room and all that jazz

Anyway the industry isnt a cartel. So it may be possible to find a better firm in terms of remuneration balanced against the job scope
Reply With Quote
  #575 (permalink)  
Old 15-01-2016, 10:23 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
that's what they said for last year too. didn't happen.

In most of the established bigger firms, base salaries are likely to remain the same. while we won't be seeing increases, there isn't likely going to be a reduction in base salaries. can't say the same of course, for the one or two man law firms.

what is likely to happen though, is the shifting of the frontloading component back to a discretionary bonus component, which will then be cut.

as such, all-in takehome compensation will still fall, but at least you can still take home a neat monthly paycheck every month. that is of course cold comfort when you see your end year bonus though, by which time you will seriously think about rage quitting and start applying to other firms...
So in conclusion, compensation will still be cut. Cold comfort indeed.
Reply With Quote
  #576 (permalink)  
Old 16-01-2016, 12:51 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Well, anywhere you go it's a boiler room. Unless you go to the one/two man show. LAs work to the bones until they make partner. Yeah and 7 years of consecutive late nights everyday year in year out, it will show in terms of health, relationships, social.
Reply With Quote

  #577 (permalink)  
Old 22-01-2016, 04:43 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

What's a rough figure for number of months bonus for junior lawyers nowadays, including the front load?
Reply With Quote
  #578 (permalink)  
Old 23-01-2016, 10:45 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What's a rough figure for number of months bonus for junior lawyers nowadays, including the front load?
1 to 3 months
Reply With Quote
  #579 (permalink)  
Old 29-01-2016, 08:39 PM
Wonderer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default SMU vs UK

Hey guys!

Was just wondering something.

1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like going overseas for LLB is a fad. Other than some prestige and the fact that it is easy to get good grades, seems like there is no point?

2. Local law students seem to have the same opportunities (trainee contract, pay, Big 4 firms) as the overseas grads, barring a first from Oxbridge of course. The only way to really lose out is I guess UK grads with firsts probably make it into Magic Circle firms in Singapore much more easily, but I mean how often does that even happen anyway??

3. Law is not my first choice but I have an SMU offer for a double degree (w/ Accounting) so I am considering this option. Do you guys think I should drop the Accounting degree?

4. Also, my dad has quite a significant law practice and my aunt is at CC. If I do law, should I try to join my dad or try for a Big 4 firm? In terms of career progression I want to choose the best option. It would be nice to work for my dad but I don't want to ride on his coat-tails. I'm not even sure if I can take over his firm in the future seeing that they are expaning and have many capable people.

Anybody care to comment?


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #580 (permalink)  
Old 29-01-2016, 09:35 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderer View Post
Hey guys!

Was just wondering something.

1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like going overseas for LLB is a fad. Other than some prestige and the fact that it is easy to get good grades, seems like there is no point?

2. Local law students seem to have the same opportunities (trainee contract, pay, Big 4 firms) as the overseas grads, barring a first from Oxbridge of course. The only way to really lose out is I guess UK grads with firsts probably make it into Magic Circle firms in Singapore much more easily, but I mean how often does that even happen anyway??

3. Law is not my first choice but I have an SMU offer for a double degree (w/ Accounting) so I am considering this option. Do you guys think I should drop the Accounting degree?

4. Also, my dad has quite a significant law practice and my aunt is at CC. If I do law, should I try to join my dad or try for a Big 4 firm? In terms of career progression I want to choose the best option. It would be nice to work for my dad but I don't want to ride on his coat-tails. I'm not even sure if I can take over his firm in the future seeing that they are expaning and have many capable people.

Anybody care to comment?
The only UK schools worth going are Oxford and Cambridge. Apart from that, local students are favoured in every law job in Singapore. Just look at e.g the firm which your aunt is in, CC. The Trainees they have taken in hail mostly from NUS, with the occasional Oxbridge and perhaps one from SMU. None from even UCL/LSE. You can confirm this with your aunt.

Most students will drop their double degree. But you don't have to decide now, can drop in your second year.

As for working for your dad or big 4, don't need to think about it so early, just try to do well in school and get at least a second uppers or magna cum laude, without which you will not be able to get into any decent firm anyway. So if you end up performing poorly in SMU, you have no choice but to join your dad. Can just take things as they come.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,968 Replies, 9,967,761 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,453 Replies, 1,115,916 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,037 Replies, 843,839 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,684 Replies, 3,158,168 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
425 Replies, 455,856 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,493 Replies, 2,247,215 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
18,414 Replies, 7,554,374 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
359 Replies, 131,811 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,300 Replies, 632,448 Views
ITE (lecturer) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
258 Replies, 290,292 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,091 Replies, 449,960 Views
Anyone work in JPM/GS/Morgan... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
250 Replies, 71,828 Views
Bnp paribas graduate ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
197 Replies, 121,103 Views
MasterCard Graduate Developement... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
83 Replies, 49,183 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
394 Replies, 203,974 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,588 Replies, 1,299,881 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,754 Replies, 2,317,227 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,803 Replies, 2,672,431 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,768 Replies, 3,457,165 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,646 Replies, 4,212,970 Views
SP Group ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 11,128 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,238 Replies, 3,313,270 Views
Singapore Power EDGE Program ( 1 2)
11 Replies, 4,709 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,048 Replies, 730,696 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
631 Replies, 266,151 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,142 Replies, 361,617 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,453 Replies, 5,474,487 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,711 Replies, 988,728 Views
MOH Holdings ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 12,595 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
844 Replies, 242,867 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 12:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2