Lawyer Salary - Page 60 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #591 (permalink)  
Old 31-01-2016, 03:15 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

am currently working as an assoc for one of the big4.

can confirm that there's a 50/50, or 60/40 split in terms of local and uk uni grads within the trainee batches now. obviously oxbridge grads are valued everywhere but attending ucl/lse/kcl/bristol still puts you in good steed. other than that, better pull those strings and pray hard. (but it becomes pretty obvious when you're the only tasmania/leicester/godknowswhere trainee...)

Reply With Quote
  #592 (permalink)  
Old 31-01-2016, 04:42 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi guys! I'm recently graduated from JC, was wondering if you guys think doing law is a good option? Especially with the whole glut of lawyers thing

Reply With Quote
  #593 (permalink)  
Old 31-01-2016, 04:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi guys! I'm recently graduated from JC, was wondering if you guys think doing law is a good option? Especially with the whole glut of lawyers thing
Depends on what you define as a "good option".

Reply With Quote
  #594 (permalink)  
Old 31-01-2016, 04:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi guys! I'm recently graduated from JC, was wondering if you guys think doing law is a good option? Especially with the whole glut of lawyers thing
you should be okay if you stay local or come from a branded overseas uni
Reply With Quote
  #595 (permalink)  
Old 31-01-2016, 05:49 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Depends on what you define as a "good option".
Hmm, I guess like if the effort put in is worth it? Like the work-life balance I understand is not so good but is the long-term compensation and career worth the effort?
Reply With Quote
  #596 (permalink)  
Old 31-01-2016, 09:26 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I always hear people saying that it's easier to get first class in uk universities, etc. I think this is very untrue. In uk, you are competing with the British students who are naturally very competent to get a place at law school. You're in a foreign country, and you have to survive on your own for 3 years. It's not easy psychologically. Most people, if they study hard, will end up with a 2:1 - that's true. But to get a first class in law from any uk universities require raw talent, hard work and genuine capability.

Secondly, the proportion of trainees for overseas law grads to local grads is skewed right now. There are more local grads training in bigger firms for every overseas grad. If you don't believe, go and do your research on this. In some firms, overseas grads are nowhere to be found.

Thirdly, Oxbridge law grads regardless of whether it is a phd, bcl/masters or BA are always in demand whether they choose a legal career or not later on. All will eventually become a consultant/partner at some major law firms. Again, do your research. It's very easy with the Internet.

Finally, whether you should do law or not. Yes, law trains the mind. The knowledge in law school will not help in a legal career. The only thing that will help in a legal career is the ability to learn things quickly. If you need to go overseas for whatever reasons, choose Oxbridge, or LSE/UCL. The rest of the universities will eventually be removed as Singapore develops its own legal system. How many years from now? Probably one decade.

Law is not as glamorous as it seems. The hours are long, it's not exaggeration. Saturdays are also part of the deal. You will find that eventually you have no time for anyone. It's like that. Ultimately, many individuals live broken lives. That's the sacrifice you have to make.
Reply With Quote

  #597 (permalink)  
Old 31-01-2016, 10:23 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I always hear people saying that it's easier to get first class in uk universities, etc. I think this is very untrue. In uk, you are competing with the British students who are naturally very competent to get a place at law school. You're in a foreign country, and you have to survive on your own for 3 years. It's not easy psychologically. Most people, if they study hard, will end up with a 2:1 - that's true. But to get a first class in law from any uk universities require raw talent, hard work and genuine capability.
It's far easier to get a first or 2.1 in the UK compared to locally, even in UCL/LSE.

NUS FCH (2014/2015): 5%, 2.1: 50%
UCL FCH (2014/2015): 16%, 2.1. 74%

Plus this doesn't include the fact that local grads are typically better muggers than the Brits.

See ://.lawcoursesinfo.com/uncategorized/percentage-of-firsts-awarded-to-llb-graduates-the-table/
s://.ucl.ac.uk/srs/statistics/tables/s/1415
Reply With Quote
  #598 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2016, 08:32 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It's far easier to get a first or 2.1 in the UK compared to locally, even in UCL/LSE.

NUS FCH (2014/2015): 5%, 2.1: 50%
UCL FCH (2014/2015): 16%, 2.1. 74%

Plus this doesn't include the fact that local grads are typically better muggers than the Brits.

See ://.lawcoursesinfo.com/uncategorized/percentage-of-firsts-awarded-to-llb-graduates-the-table/
s://.ucl.ac.uk/srs/statistics/tables/s/1415
Yeah I suppose the only place where an NUS FCH would be comparable is with Oxbridge FCH? Even then the bell curve at NUS still makes it v tough as Oxbridge grads just have to make a certain grade?

No doubt what the earlier poster said about the difficulties of studying overseas though...can get pretty lonely
Reply With Quote
  #599 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2016, 10:35 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It's far easier to get a first or 2.1 in the UK compared to locally, even in UCL/LSE.

NUS FCH (2014/2015): 5%, 2.1: 50%
UCL FCH (2014/2015): 16%, 2.1. 74%

Plus this doesn't include the fact that local grads are typically better muggers than the Brits.

See ://.lawcoursesinfo.com/uncategorized/percentage-of-firsts-awarded-to-llb-graduates-the-table/
s://.ucl.ac.uk/srs/statistics/tables/s/1415
As a fellow NUS grad, i must tell you to look beyond things. statistics are merely figures which might not even be true. Furthermore look at the overall cohort percentage then you compare. if NUS FCH were as good, MNC would be fighting to hire them. our local grad had no choice but to stick to CS because MNC doesn't put them on top priority due to our academic structure. Go google UK academic structure and you will see the differences. If CS doesn't want them either, there would be a bunch of unemployment grads. You can choose to be blinded now but still this is the ugly truth. Our cert can survive probably in asia but not overseas.
Reply With Quote
  #600 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2016, 11:10 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
As a fellow NUS grad, i must tell you to look beyond things. statistics are merely figures which might not even be true. Furthermore look at the overall cohort percentage then you compare. if NUS FCH were as good, MNC would be fighting to hire them. our local grad had no choice but to stick to CS because MNC doesn't put them on top priority due to our academic structure. Go google UK academic structure and you will see the differences. If CS doesn't want them either, there would be a bunch of unemployment grads. You can choose to be blinded now but still this is the ugly truth. Our cert can survive probably in asia but not overseas.
What's the compensation like now though for the local firms? Is it still around 5-6k? And if you slug it out how many years does it take to become a partner, assuming you have the capability?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Comp Science Frsh Grad Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
404 Replies, 13,014 Views
How much does NTUC... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 840 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
365 Replies, 206,762 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,024 Replies, 1,894,555 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,032 Replies, 3,351,423 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
472 Replies, 148,145 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
442 Replies, 291,086 Views
Low Paying Stable Job vs High...
8 Replies, 686 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,864 Replies, 1,243,787 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,177 Replies, 6,229,577 Views
GovTech career grade ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
181 Replies, 185,280 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,116 Replies, 869,492 Views
Covid-related job opportunities...
8 Replies, 524 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
238 Replies, 38,007 Views
Lonza Biotechnologist
1 Replies, 132 Views
Assistant Director considered as...
3 Replies, 1,148 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,700 Replies, 1,058,262 Views
How long does uob get back to you... ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 1,676 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,003 Replies, 1,405,063 Views
Capitaland Graduate Development... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 16,784 Views
Starting pay for fresh uni grad... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
86 Replies, 6,820 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,564 Replies, 2,119,081 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,308 Replies, 320,957 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
498 Replies, 118,097 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
62 Replies, 59,272 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
200 Replies, 42,778 Views
Dsta ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
881 Replies, 604,132 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
270 Replies, 242,365 Views
Mortgage Specialist Role.
3 Replies, 1,912 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
155 Replies, 37,192 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2