Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 18-08-2017, 05:14 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
you doubt? is based on feelings or statistics?

the above figures came from a casual chit chat with a senior lawyer who runs his own law firm during one of our short chat along the corridors / lift common area...

was as curious as the person enquiring... i'm an accountant btw, just wanna know how those peeps from the other side lives as my office bldg is surrounded by loads of law and audit firms.
to sum it up, if you are mediocre and graduated from a foreign uni (non ivy leagues), you are either going to have a hard time finding a job, or found a job that doesn't pay well (above $4k). if you do, i am happy for you and i'm not being sarcastic here.

Old 18-08-2017, 06:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
to sum it up, if you are mediocre and graduated from a foreign uni (non ivy leagues), you are either going to have a hard time finding a job, or found a job that doesn't pay well (above $4k). if you do, i am happy for you and i'm not being sarcastic here.
Ivy league is a weird phrase to describe the recognised foreign law schools...so I'm not sure u actually know much about the legal market.

I think the salary ranges have been done to death here. Midsized firms and big firms pay some of the highest graduate starting salaries in the local market excluding IB, and on par with top mgmt associate programmes.

As to what constitutes mid sized firms, that has been explained before here too. In general firms that have reputation in the market or sectors of the market. Go check out IFLR, legal 500, asialaw and chambers Asia Pacific. These are the things they don't teach u in law school.

Take the long view if you arr really interested in developing a legal career. Go for recognition and exposure, not starting salary. 1-2 years working under a Senior Counsel in his small 4 man shop > associate in a mediocre 'midsized' firm doing cookie cutter work.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 20-08-2017, 11:29 AM

potato38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Anyone have advice for writing cover letters for internships?
It's a little long, but I have a simple guide here (Source: SuccessGoGo | Southeast Asia's Leading Application Review Platform - Home). If you need some help casting an eye over your CV or Cover Letter, you can submit to us at the link above, we have a panel of volunteer lawyers who can take a look for you. We have a couple of guides on how to get a training contract as well, they are on the Resources Page.

Writing a Cover Letter

1. Formatting
Length
Less is More. The recruiter is not expecting an full length essay about your life and your passion for the company. The actual substantive content of your cover letter should not exceed 3 – 4 paragraphs or half a page.

Who to address the letter to
Always address your letter to someone directly. With Google and LinkedIn, there’s no excuse to not be able to find the name of a hiring manager or professional in the department you are applying to.

Format
PDF is recommended. Not every office computer can read your .docx or .pages file, and in many cases there may be formatting issues. Save yourself the hassle and save your cover letter as a PDF.

2. Tone
Before you start writing, find out more about the company and the specific job you want. Look at the company’s website, its publications, its employee profiles (from Google, LinkedIn or your personal network). Do some research beyond reading the job description. Find out what challenges the company is facing and how your role would help address those. Knowing the company better helps you decide on the right tone to use in your cover letter.

Think also about the culture of the organisation you’re applying to. If it’s a creative agency, like a design shop, you might take more risks but if it’s a more conservative organisation, like a bank or law firm, do adopt a business tone.

3. Content
Now that the basic layout and tone of your Cover Letter have been settled, we come to the most important part: the substantive content. Ensure that you DO NOTsimply repeat your CV. Your cover letter is almost always stapled to your resume and given to your future boss for review. Repeating what is on your CV is not only a waste of words, you come across as lazy and unenthusiastic about the position. Rather, use your cover letter to convey your personality and enthusiasm for the job, and why you would be a great addition to the company.

First Paragraph - Start Strong
Job applicants typically start by saying "I am applying for the "[position]" that I saw listed on the [source]". This is a total waste of text. Start by saying why this job is exciting, and why you are perfect for the job. For example, being with “I am a corporate lawyer with more than 5 years of experience in Public M&A work and I would love to bring my expertise and enthusiasm to your growing and international team”.

If you have a personal connection with the company or someone who works there, don't be afraid to leverage on it. The job market is highly competitive these days, and you will need to rely on any benefit you can get. Be sure to mention this connection in the first paragraph.

Second Paragraph - Your interest in the company
Share your interest in the company or industry you are applying to. There are many ways to show your interest in a company. Common methods include (1) sharing a unique personal story that drew you to the company, (2) sharing interesting historical facts about the company that drew you to it (you can source for such information from Google) and (3) sharing an insight into the industry trends and challenges facing the company.

Our favourite is the third option. For example, if you are applying to Apple, talk about how the launch of the first iPhone 10 years ago has truly changed the world (apps like Uber would never have taken off without the iPhone), and if the past 10 years are any indication, the next 10 years would truly blow our minds away. If you are applying to SPH, talk about how mobile devices and social media has fundamentally changed how people get their news, and then go on to propose an idea to address this, perhaps by reducing the length of content to cater to reduced attention spans, covering exciting topics that appeal to the millennial crowd, or to be more mobile friendly and encourage sharing on social media.

Not only does this demonstrate that you understand the industry well, it also shows that your have spent time actively thinking about the company's role in their industry, and how to tackle challenges facing the company.

Third Paragraph - How can you help the company
In the third paragraph, discuss how your skills and experience can help the company. Again, do NOT simply repeat whatever is stated in your CV. Either (1) pick out specific experiences or (2) chart the broad outline of your working/academic reference, and then link this back to the question of how you would be a strong addition to the company.

Last Paragraph - Close the deal
Close strong and sum up how your passion, experience and skills will be of great use to the company. This will serve as your closer, and should not be longer then 1 to 2 sentences. If they need more details about you, they will ask you at the interview.

Old 24-08-2017, 01:20 PM
Unregistered

I was talking to a partner today and was told that many young associates are unrealistic in their expectations. Majority of lawyers drop out within 5 years, so they shouldn't think that "oh I confirm plus chop will be in law forever".

What an ass.
Old 24-08-2017, 02:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I was talking to a partner today and was told that many young associates are unrealistic in their expectations. Majority of lawyers drop out within 5 years, so they shouldn't think that "oh I confirm plus chop will be in law forever".

What an ass.
Ya those young associates are arrogant cocky asses for thinking so highly of themselves

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 24-08-2017, 07:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Ya those young associates are arrogant cocky asses for thinking so highly of themselves
Not disagreeing, but senior lawyers don't have the standing to diss junior lawyers as opportunities were easy to come by in their time.

Old 27-08-2017, 09:27 AM
Unregistered

Anybody can verify the starting salaries of these mid-tiers?
1. TKQP: 5.5k
2. Harry E: 5k
3. RHT: 4.5k

Cheers
Old 28-08-2017, 10:57 AM
Unregistered

Additionally:

TSMP: 5k
Old 28-08-2017, 09:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Additionally:

TSMP: 5k
ROFL. What a joke.
Old 30-08-2017, 04:36 PM
Unregistered

Help lawyers to cope with work stress: CJ Menon
://.straitstimes.com/singapore/help-lawyers-to-cope-with-work-stress-cj-menon

Law firms should do more to help lawyers who may be struggling to cope with the volume and pace of their work, Chief Justice Sundaresh Menon said on Monday.

--

if it's so stressful, why are lawyers still hanging on to their misery? Why not quit. ? there's plenty of law grads anyway

or is it that they cannot take stress at all?