Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 22-04-2018, 01:12 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think you're the one still in law school and haven't seen the real world if you think the legal industry is a bastion of meritocracy. Its probably one of the sectors with the most disproportionate number of people coming from high SES backgrounds.

Anyway the level of trolling in this thread is too damn high.
Oh Great. so the Likes of you can’t stand the fact that low SES like us making a living and finding our survivial methods by not taking initiatives?

Old 22-04-2018, 02:21 AM
Unregistered

it's that typically singaporean attitude towards work and life in general that i take issue with. i'm no government stooge, but when i see that "act blur live longer" philosophy on unironic public display i suddenly realise why we must welcome the foreign hordes with open arms.

god i just hope one day that all of you are completely replaced by ang moh or indian lawyers and people like you can all go back to begging for a job in the civil servant/banking purgatory threads where you properly belong. i'm willing to bet you drive a rented phv honda vezel for grab just so you can pretend you're above taking public transport into the cbd, and probably get all your furniture off taobao for your punggol 3-room hdb flat that you share with your poly diploma fiance who works for a stat board.

do yourself a favour, recognise who and what you are and know that that will never change on this benighted island we (unfortunately) share

Old 22-04-2018, 11:01 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
it's that typically singaporean attitude towards work and life in general that i take issue with. i'm no government stooge, but when i see that "act blur live longer" philosophy on unironic public display i suddenly realise why we must welcome the foreign hordes with open arms.

god i just hope one day that all of you are completely replaced by ang moh or indian lawyers and people like you can all go back to begging for a job in the civil servant/banking purgatory threads where you properly belong. i'm willing to bet you drive a rented phv honda vezel for grab just so you can pretend you're above taking public transport into the cbd, and probably get all your furniture off taobao for your punggol 3-room hdb flat that you share with your poly diploma fiance who works for a stat board.

do yourself a favour, recognise who and what you are and know that that will never change on this benighted island we (unfortunately) share
Perhaps you are still young and naive. Do you have your own family and children to feed yet?

Seriously what’s wrong with taking a step back and let things come our way instead of keep taking initiatives and then make mistakes then get scolded then created bad impression and make yourself so stressed out?

So many previous posts have shown that taking initiatives only creates more avenues for mistakes and arguments. Perhaps 1/100 chance this initiative is some ground breaking silver bullet discovery but what are the chances?

We all have our own lives to live. our own family to feed. The last thing I want is to bother my
myself with the affairs of some organization which doesn’t thank me when I gave up my life and health and time.

Life in law is already stressful enough, don’t take the unwanted risks. Just be laid back and let things happen. dont need for initiatives seriously.

End of day: you may be gone but the firm still stays. But is the firm going to thank you for you giving up your own physical and mental health and time and missing our the opportunity to start your own family or spend quality time at home or even the opportunity to date somebody ?

The answer is No.

Old 22-04-2018, 11:18 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
only fools Take InItiaTiVEs ok?

take already then make mistakes, nobody will say good job and thank you.

i’m the type who prefer to wait for instructions and be told.
###
Boss says A and I do A = go home peacefully

Boss says nothing and I do initiative A = endless argument when things went wrong
Haha. Same wavelength we have. My first job as trainee I was super garang thinking I’m going to overturn a Court of Appeal ruling, slog through day and night to find overseas courts arguments to distinguish. In the end my boss scolded me one big time for wasting everybody’s time when all that was needed was sgca position. my boss thinks I am a difficult person and smart alec. Managing her was really tough once impression of me is set.

That incident left a deep imprint upon me that never will I do more than necessary. I only wait for instructions and do as told. Now I leave work 6.30 Pm on spot if no instructions given

Go for my actitives in evening and come back office refreshed next morning.
Old 22-04-2018, 11:20 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
only fools Take InItiaTiVEs ok?

take already then make mistakes, nobody will say good job and thank you.

i’m the type who prefer to wait for instructions and be told.
###
Boss says A and I do A = go home peacefully

Boss says nothing and I do initiative A = endless argument when things went wrong
Haha. Same wavelength we have. My first job as trainee I was super garang thinking I’m going to overturn a Court of Appeal ruling, slog through day and night to find overseas courts arguments to distinguish. In the end my boss scolded me one big time for wasting everybody’s time when all that was needed was sgca position. my boss thinks I am a difficult person and smart alec. Managing her was really tough once impression of me is set.

That incident left a deep imprint upon me that never will I do more than necessary. I only wait for instructions and do as told. Now I leave work 6.30 Pm on spot if no instructions given

Go for my dinner and dates in evening and come back office refreshed next morning.
Old 22-04-2018, 11:39 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Singaporean attitude good!

It makes us happy.

Life is a bell curve. You think you did well? someone else is ahead of you. then it becomes a constant struggle.

This attachment for success will only make you unhappy.

Just let it go.

Nothing is more important than being happy

Old 22-04-2018, 02:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Perhaps you are still young and naive. Do you have your own family and children to feed yet?

Seriously what’s wrong with taking a step back and let things come our way instead of keep taking initiatives and then make mistakes then get scolded then created bad impression and make yourself so stressed out?

So many previous posts have shown that taking initiatives only creates more avenues for mistakes and arguments. Perhaps 1/100 chance this initiative is some ground breaking silver bullet discovery but what are the chances?

We all have our own lives to live. our own family to feed. The last thing I want is to bother my
myself with the affairs of some organization which doesn’t thank me when I gave up my life and health and time.

Life in law is already stressful enough, don’t take the unwanted risks. Just be laid back and let things happen. dont need for initiatives seriously.

End of day: you may be gone but the firm still stays. But is the firm going to thank you for you giving up your own physical and mental health and time and missing our the opportunity to start your own family or spend quality time at home or even the opportunity to date somebody ?

The answer is No.
I agree with you. I don’t know who the stupid joker above your this post is.
If (s/he) thinks we lose our jobs to the overseas expatriates - wake up la.
Don’t be naive. Don’t run down your own fellow Singaporeans la.
You’re too stupid.
Old 22-04-2018, 02:03 PM
Unregistered

I am soon-to-be law graduate toying with the idea of graduate medical school.

Any seniors know of any law grads pursuing this unconventional route?
Old 22-04-2018, 06:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I am soon-to-be law graduate toying with the idea of graduate medical school.

Any seniors know of any law grads pursuing this unconventional route?
Please don’t.

singapore is a very judgemental unforgiving place.
people who don’t follow norms are negatively judged on
they be thinking what’s wrong with you ?

i am saying from perspective of a j. d.

people will say wah u so old then regretted u had first degree useless then now do law ah?
i will hire someone younger lor. u so old liao, can learn new tricks meh?

ok for u say u do mbbs, when u end school houseman u be 32?

who wanna start from bottom at 32? also by then u don’t even have a single day of work experience
Old 22-04-2018, 08:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Please don’t.

singapore is a very judgemental unforgiving place.
people who don’t follow norms are negatively judged on
they be thinking what’s wrong with you ?

i am saying from perspective of a j. d.

people will say wah u so old then regretted u had first degree useless then now do law ah?
i will hire someone younger lor. u so old liao, can learn new tricks meh?

ok for u say u do mbbs, when u end school houseman u be 32?

who wanna start from bottom at 32? also by then u don’t even have a single day of work experience

I am the OP of the earlier post.

If I do join grad medical school, I will be 26 at the point of admission - after being called of course - and 30 when I get my mbbs (4 years).

I have never cared much about the views of others, but more so about, inter alia, (1) financials, (2) adapting to med school, and (3) personal satisfaction.

On (1), I will be heavily in debt. But the long run financials may well outweigh the initial cost.

At this juncture, (3) is assuming greater weight than (1).

I presume I would have had attachments and whatever not in med school, but in any case, why should having a "single day of work experience" be a relevant factor in the first place?