Civil/Public Sector - Ministry/Stat Boards employees knowledge needed! - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Civil/Public Sector - Ministry/Stat Boards employees knowledge needed!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 25-01-2015, 11:01 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 6
rainbowishes is on a distinguished road
Default Civil/Public Sector - Ministry/Stat Boards employees knowledge needed!

Which are the good or bad Ministries or SB to work in? (management, job scopes, prospects, people, environ... etc)
Feel free to comment anything about it esp if you're working/worked there before Wanna try applying some public sector jobs once I graduate but donno which to choose..

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 26-01-2015, 08:12 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Perhaps it will be more useful if you can provide some more information about yourself (i.e. which uni, what major, what's the predicted final GPA etc.). Else we can talk till the cows come home and you will still have no inkling on what is possible for you.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 26-01-2015, 11:14 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Even within the same Ministry or Stat board there can be good and bad departments.

The famous work life balance that private sector people think is standard fare is hardly the case in some jobs within the public sector. So yes, more information from you is required.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 26-01-2015, 03:22 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 6
rainbowishes is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Perhaps it will be more useful if you can provide some more information about yourself (i.e. which uni, what major, what's the predicted final GPA etc.). Else we can talk till the cows come home and you will still have no inkling on what is possible for you.
I'll be graduating with a business dip from a local poly, if nothing goes wrong my gpa should be about 3.3. My interest lies in PR/ corp comms but guess I'm fine doing admin or HR roles as well.. I want to take a communications degree but I don't think my gpa allows me to get a place in local uni... so thought I could work a few years first to gain some work experience b4 relooking at my options.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 26-01-2015, 03:37 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Ah I see. Now that put things into context. With a diploma, you will be going into Public Sector as a Div 2 officer. Since you're from biz background, the most obvious choice would be HR.

In general, life of a Div 2 officer in public sector tend to be better than Div 1 (graduates) - more work life balance. Good for those who are thinking of pursuing part time degrees. Pay wise should be around the same as private, with annual increments. Salary package definitely not as good as Div 1 officers (graduates), and career development wise will also stagnant in time to come.

Bear in mind that those who are ambitious should go to the private for a better chance to shine. Public sector will limit your career progression should you have no degree. Private may also not consider your experience in public sector to be relevant, should you want to jump out in the future. In terms of experience, I would say you could learn more from the private. But if you have the heart to serve people, do join the public then.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 26-01-2015, 05:09 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowishes View Post
I'll be graduating with a business dip from a local poly, if nothing goes wrong my gpa should be about 3.3. My interest lies in PR/ corp comms but guess I'm fine doing admin or HR roles as well.. I want to take a communications degree but I don't think my gpa allows me to get a place in local uni... so thought I could work a few years first to gain some work experience b4 relooking at my options.
As a communications graduate, my advice is to really think about whether you'd enjoy a comms career before jumping into a comms degree.

On top of that, you don't need a comms degree to do comms. Just a pretty face, good language ability and an outgoing personality.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 27-01-2015, 07:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 43
Fearoftheunknown is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
As a communications graduate, my advice is to really think about whether you'd enjoy a comms career before jumping into a comms degree.

On top of that, you don't need a comms degree to do comms. Just a pretty face, good language ability and an outgoing personality.
I disagree. Many comms positions do require at least 2-3 yrs of experience, in addition to having a degree. Thus it's alot more difficult to go into comms if you are just a business diploma holder. And I believe actions speak louder than words, in the sense that being competent in communications work triumphs an outgoing personality anytime.

Some people (my manager) think that just because they are outgoing and relate to people well, they can be qualified to do corp comms. Can't be further away from the truth if a corp comms manager fails to realise that he has to come up with a internal and external communications plan. Better still, the work that solely belongs to corp comms ended up being taken away from us and be given to other department because manager wants to maintain harmony
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 27-01-2015, 08:26 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearoftheunknown View Post
I disagree. Many comms positions do require at least 2-3 yrs of experience, in addition to having a degree. Thus it's alot more difficult to go into comms if you are just a business diploma holder. And I believe actions speak louder than words, in the sense that being competent in communications work triumphs an outgoing personality anytime.

Some people (my manager) think that just because they are outgoing and relate to people well, they can be qualified to do corp comms. Can't be further away from the truth if a corp comms manager fails to realise that he has to come up with a internal and external communications plan. Better still, the work that solely belongs to corp comms ended up being taken away from us and be given to other department because manager wants to maintain harmony
Well whatever he is doing seems to be working since he is your manager.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 28-01-2015, 09:30 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Ah I see. Now that put things into context. With a diploma, you will be going into Public Sector as a Div 2 officer. Since you're from biz background, the most obvious choice would be HR.

In general, life of a Div 2 officer in public sector tend to be better than Div 1 (graduates) - more work life balance. Good for those who are thinking of pursuing part time degrees. Pay wise should be around the same as private, with annual increments. Salary package definitely not as good as Div 1 officers (graduates), and career development wise will also stagnant in time to come.

Bear in mind that those who are ambitious should go to the private for a better chance to shine. Public sector will limit your career progression should you have no degree. Private may also not consider your experience in public sector to be relevant, should you want to jump out in the future. In terms of experience, I would say you could learn more from the private. But if you have the heart to serve people, do join the public then.
This is a very good post TS should listen.

Just to add for most dipolma grads I highly recommend join public sector if possible. Work life and pay in general is much better. Sure, there will be the rare make it big diploma grad, but generally i look at the poly people I know at my age, those that join government have a much better life and stability.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 28-01-2015, 10:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 43
Fearoftheunknown is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Well whatever he is doing seems to be working since he is your manager.
Eh no, he is corp comms manager only because the chinese directors like him, he curries favour with the new chinese CEO, and there are no senior singaporeans in the company to lead the newly formed corp comms dept after the company went through major restructuring...He wouldn't have what it takes to be a corp comms manager if he were to be in a MNC or civil service. Spewing rainbows and unicorns can get you to the top, but you won't stay long cos people can see through the lack of substance/inability. It applies to not just comms/PR alone but also to all the jobs out there. Always make sure you have the substance to prove your talk otherwise people will not respect you just like how I do not respect my manager.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
civil service, public sector

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How long does it take for stat boards to review job application Onvalwar Income and Jobs 12 18-09-2017 10:23 PM
Marketing/Events: stat board vs ministry vs private sector payscale? TypicalFarmer Income and Jobs 15 20-12-2014 02:30 PM
Stat Boards : Do you receive rejection emails after interviews if not shortlisted? in3deep Income and Jobs 5 23-08-2014 02:31 PM
Importance of Education level between Private Sector and Public Sector mshappy Income and Jobs 3 09-10-2013 06:24 PM
Best Stat board/Ministry blackswan Income and Jobs 10 18-02-2011 03:29 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
DBS BANK Interview replies ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
406 Replies, 206,488 Views
Govtech Hiring Timeline
1 Replies, 574 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,243 Replies, 1,000,709 Views
Life as a ICA Senior Officer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
66 Replies, 80,718 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,965 Replies, 1,202,751 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
181 Replies, 72,156 Views
Ministry of Communications and... ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 7,995 Views
Cash loan
0 Replies, 26 Views
Cash loan
0 Replies, 26 Views
Cash loan
0 Replies, 23 Views
Cash loan
0 Replies, 50 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,325 Replies, 286,635 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,507 Replies, 1,094,917 Views
Freight Forwarding industry --...
3 Replies, 294 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,159 Replies, 827,166 Views
Breaking the Letter Of Commitment... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 5,314 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,179 Replies, 3,921,852 Views
Advice on designer job offer
4 Replies, 512 Views
Nickel investment
1 Replies, 57 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,225 Replies, 364,501 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,824 Replies, 624,700 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
580 Replies, 285,442 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,020 Replies, 462,362 Views
NUS working environment and pay... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
46 Replies, 29,291 Views
ExxonMobil...
3 Replies, 920 Views
Changi Airport Group ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
346 Replies, 227,379 Views
Has anyone heard of KSB Singapore?
0 Replies, 162 Views
Micron fresh grad salary
2 Replies, 1,535 Views
Advice needed (Career change)
5 Replies, 581 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
161 Replies, 129,286 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2