Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

HR background checks

Old 30-09-2017, 01:02 AM

sleepless111 is on a distinguished road
Default HR background checks

hi guys

i have just started working in a financial industry and its already my second month there. went for training, all good but hr just contacted me a few days ago saying that the reason i left my previous company was not on my own accord

so what happened was i was actually terminated by my previous company because they thought what i did was dishonest. though i did resigned and retracted my letter before because the company did ask me to stay.

however the mistake wasn't grave but it was seemed so grave to the director and condemned as an act of dishonesty to her. i'm not sure what she said exactly to HR when they did the background check but I did admit to HR that i did an honest mistake and i'm still waiting for news from them

I was never on good terms with the director so i'm sure she didn't say anything nice. i do not like the previous company, i was working over hours and underpaid, employee benefits were so minimal almost non existent and everyone was just so toxic there.

also i did not list anyone from the company as my reference because i was afraid that they would sabotage my job application thus i listed someone else in my application as my manager instead

Can someone advise me on what I should do? Will my current company ask me to leave?

just want to ask for some advice, thank you

Old 30-09-2017, 01:33 AM
Unregistered

Default HR background checks

I am also from the financial industry but not specifically in the HR dept. However, from my past experience from job applications, the HR really does thorough checking and even engages a third party to conduct detailed checks for them such as RSIQ Group. Recently the HR also probed me into explaining my previous business while they were conducting ACRA checks. I was clear and upfront with them so I had no problems. Hence, never lie on your resume as it will only serve as evidence to incriminate you in future.

Since you mention that your previous company did ask you to stay, you may wish to make it clear to the HR that you were asked to stay, however upon further deliberation you decided to pursue another career choice.

For now all you can do is wait and see till your HR gets back to you. Just be sincere and honest this time round. As u mention that the issue is not grave, I do not think they would dismiss you over a minor matter. Probably the HR will discuss this with your current supervisor before getting back to you.

All the best!

Old 05-10-2017, 01:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless111 View Post
hi guys

i have just started working in a financial industry and its already my second month there. went for training, all good but hr just contacted me a few days ago saying that the reason i left my previous company was not on my own accord

so what happened was i was actually terminated by my previous company because they thought what i did was dishonest. though i did resigned and retracted my letter before because the company did ask me to stay.

however the mistake wasn't grave but it was seemed so grave to the director and condemned as an act of dishonesty to her. i'm not sure what she said exactly to HR when they did the background check but I did admit to HR that i did an honest mistake and i'm still waiting for news from them

I was never on good terms with the director so i'm sure she didn't say anything nice. i do not like the previous company, i was working over hours and underpaid, employee benefits were so minimal almost non existent and everyone was just so toxic there.

also i did not list anyone from the company as my reference because i was afraid that they would sabotage my job application thus i listed someone else in my application as my manager instead

Can someone advise me on what I should do? Will my current company ask me to leave?

Did the application ask specifically for YOUR manager at your PREVIOUS employer? And despite this you listed someone else that wasn't your manager and wasn't an employee of your previous employer?

I think you've started on the wrong foot and now you're in a very defensive position. What I suggest you to do is be honest, not only this time but also going forward for your whole career.

Old 17-07-2023, 11:05 AM

cubero is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
hi guys

however the mistake wasn't grave but it was seemed so grave to the director and condemned as an act of dishonesty to her. garten of banban i'm not sure what she said exactly to HR when they did the background check but I did admit to HR that i did an honest mistake and i'm still waiting for news from them

If you have colleagues or supervisors from your previous company who can provide positive references, consider reaching out to them. Their opinions may help counterbalance any negative information provided by the director.
Old 17-07-2023, 11:39 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
hi guys

Dude, your story does not gel. If your previous company terminated you, why would they ask you to stay? Companies rarely terminate employees because of honest mistakes. Even rare would a company terminate someone and then backtrack and ask them to stay. Are you sure yours was an honest mistake or some integrity issues? If integrity issues you can kiss your current job and financial institution career goodbye for good. Always be honest and upfront.
Old 23-07-2023, 09:02 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
hi guys

why u wan to smoke your reason for leaving previous employer?
red flag already