Endless questions from HR - how to handle? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Endless questions from HR - how to handle?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 14-11-2014, 02:08 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Singapore
Posts: 27
samantha_wong is on a distinguished road
Default Endless questions from HR - how to handle?

The HR manager of this bank has been asking me endless questions:

Do you get salary on 12 month basis or 13? What is the formula of bonus? What was your bonus each year for the last 5 years? How much leave you get? What are the medical benefits you get? What are the medical benefits your husband gets? What was your salary in 2013? Salary in 2011?

How long should I tolerate her?

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 14-11-2014, 02:36 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha_wong View Post
The HR manager of this bank has been asking me endless questions:

Do you get salary on 12 month basis or 13? What is the formula of bonus? What was your bonus each year for the last 5 years? How much leave you get? What are the medical benefits you get? What are the medical benefits your husband gets? What was your salary in 2013? Salary in 2011?

How long should I tolerate her?
what's wrong with these questions? they all seem valid questions a HR manager would ask.

you should answer them unless you're over-declaring your last drawn package and have something to hide, in which case suggest you come clean or have a super smoke bomb up your sleeve.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 14-11-2014, 02:41 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Singapore
Posts: 27
samantha_wong is on a distinguished road
Default endless questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
what's wrong with these questions? they all seem valid questions a HR manager would ask.

you should answer them unless you're over-declaring your last drawn package and have something to hide, in which case suggest you come clean or have a super smoke bomb up your sleeve.
Why does the HR need to know how much medical cover my hubby gets? Why do they need to know which school my kids go to? Who needs to know how much bonus I got in 2011?

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 14-11-2014, 02:50 PM
Zantos
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha_wong View Post
Why does the HR need to know how much medical cover my hubby gets? Why do they need to know which school my kids go to? Who needs to know how much bonus I got in 2011?
These are very valid questions. There are lots of people who jump ship once they had a good year's bonus and attempt to BS by claiming that such bonuses are "normal" when negotiating for more money.

They are just trying to find out your total pay package including benefits what is a realistic number you are on now so that they can get the full picture when making an offer.

Seriously how difficult can it get to answer these questions unless you have something to hide? If somebody were to ask me, I can perhaps answer them in less than 5 mins. If they want to know 2 years back how many months bonus I get, I will just make a note to check when I'm back home and call them back to answer.

You are making a very simple routine background check and package understanding procedure to something dramatic as if your personal life has been affected drastically by these questions.

Tone down on that smug attitude, answer them honestly and move on with the job application. Want to act high and mighty at least make it to a Senior Exec level, otherwise just follow protocols.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 14-11-2014, 03:00 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 19
Intercontinental is on a distinguished road
Default

I think Samantha's point is a valid one and I too will be curious if HR demands so much information.

That said, which stage of the recruitment process are you at, Samantha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
These are very valid questions. There are lots of people who jump ship once they had a good year's bonus and attempt to BS by claiming that such bonuses are "normal" when negotiating for more money.

They are just trying to find out your total pay package including benefits what is a realistic number you are on now so that they can get the full picture when making an offer.

Seriously how difficult can it get to answer these questions unless you have something to hide? If somebody were to ask me, I can perhaps answer them in less than 5 mins. If they want to know 2 years back how many months bonus I get, I will just make a note to check when I'm back home and call them back to answer.

You are making a very simple routine background check and package understanding procedure to something dramatic as if your personal life has been affected drastically by these questions.

Tone down on that smug attitude, answer them honestly and move on with the job application. Want to act high and mighty at least make it to a Senior Exec level, otherwise just follow protocols.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 14-11-2014, 03:13 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Singapore
Posts: 27
samantha_wong is on a distinguished road
Default stage of recruitment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intercontinental View Post
I think Samantha's point is a valid one and I too will be curious if HR demands so much information.

That said, which stage of the recruitment process are you at, Samantha?
I have had 4 rounds with the line/hiring managers and 1 round with HR. So far most questions were fine "how do you do x, what do you know about y". Now the HR are Benchmarking my compensation. Honestly, I wonder how the school of my kids will help determine the salary at this place. Most kids in Singapore attend the MOE schools. What difference it makes which school my kids attend?
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 14-11-2014, 03:15 PM
Zantos
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intercontinental View Post
I think Samantha's point is a valid one and I too will be curious if HR demands so much information.

That said, which stage of the recruitment process are you at, Samantha?
This isn't a lot at all, this HR appears to be a little more thorough that's all.

Like I said, it takes like 5min to answer. At least it is all related to pay & benefits compared to civil service ask you to state PSLE score and what grade you get exactly for each subject all the way from primary school to uni.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 14-11-2014, 03:19 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha_wong View Post
Why does the HR need to know how much medical cover my hubby gets? Why do they need to know which school my kids go to? Who needs to know how much bonus I got in 2011?
it's simple..... if you don't feel comfortable giving out this info then just tell them so or question the HR manager why they need this info. it will probably jeapordize your application (since it is important enough for them to ask you) so go contemplate how much you want to this job.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 14-11-2014, 03:21 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
This isn't a lot at all, this HR appears to be a little more thorough that's all.

Like I said, it takes like 5min to answer. At least it is all related to pay & benefits compared to civil service ask you to state PSLE score and what grade you get exactly for each subject all the way from primary school to uni.
yeah! the civil service application form is a pain to fill out and some questions are quite ridiculous like the PSLE like you've pointed out!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 14-11-2014, 03:49 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 19
Intercontinental is on a distinguished road
Default

Well, the information seems rather innocuous so if it were me I would probably just try to provide if asked.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
interview, questions

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions establishedd Education and Personal Growth 3 28-10-2014 06:36 PM
how to handle background checks sylvialim1169 Income and Jobs 1 18-10-2014 12:22 PM
Interview - asking questions jljh Income and Jobs 3 03-07-2014 09:24 AM
Questions regarding after interview winterblue Income and Jobs 1 02-06-2014 01:44 PM
DSO questions jalan369 Income and Jobs 4 30-08-2013 10:45 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
564 Replies, 632,482 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,455 Replies, 378,674 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,252 Replies, 1,407,257 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
890 Replies, 117,371 Views
OCBC Bank Teller Salary and...
3 Replies, 239 Views
Dsta ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
730 Replies, 421,798 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,769 Replies, 4,461,213 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,051 Replies, 764,507 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
686 Replies, 341,799 Views
SIA AO grades ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 4,134 Views
Who determines CEP
5 Replies, 951 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
100 Replies, 48,682 Views
SIA executive role
6 Replies, 1,149 Views
Fresh degree grad salary... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
47 Replies, 5,710 Views
Where would you invest your money... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 4,001 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3)
26 Replies, 2,807 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,583 Replies, 1,070,338 Views
Which market should I trade in?
3 Replies, 2,907 Views
You Can Buy Happiness
3 Replies, 1,970 Views
Citibank Singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
74 Replies, 20,219 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,244 Replies, 604,531 Views
Fail to start work given by...
0 Replies, 215 Views
Migration to Canada
0 Replies, 160 Views
Recession Coming ? IBM just...
2 Replies, 595 Views
Job sg come see & ask
2 Replies, 280 Views
Sla ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
31 Replies, 14,120 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,193 Replies, 1,480,534 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 12:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2