Am I a loser or not - Page 4 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Am I a loser or not

Old 25-06-2013, 09:37 AM
ferent

You parents probably have misconceptions about banking and finance after hearing the usual bullshiit from the same old big cannons. Only a small minority in banks make it big, the rest just plod through their miserable lives with average pay, obsene hours and pathetic bonuses. But banking as a whole all like to potray the image of a successful banker.

Since you have zero interest in banking/finance, it might be better to take up sub disciplines within business that have more to do with marketing, human resource management or supply chain.

The UOL degree will still put you at severe disadvantage when competing with the strong ones in NUS/NTU/SMU, but at least in these fields its not so competitive and you still stand a decent chance of making it.

You like that no interest, no competency go study banking finance, then run around headless to try your luck in a super hot industry like banking I confirm chop gurantee you end up either selling insurance, term loans, credit cards in a bank or force to take up some finance exec job in a SME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losermuch View Post
Hi all,

My case is generally different from most of you. I am 21 this year, but I feel im already utterly useless. I am going to enroll into SIM-UOL this year, thus I went on to numerous forums to read up about the job prospects, starting salary, recognition, etc. Why do I feel a loser you might say?

Firstly, just to make it clear, I didn't choose UOL cause I wanted it. It was solely my parents' decision. I have absolute no interest in business, banks, financial or whatever. I always hope my future job would be something related to communication, meeting and interacting with new faces. I felt like I am forced to study something I have no passion or understanding in just because the society deemed it most useful or relevant to earn more money in the future.I feel very choked.

Secondly, since I am gonna soon take up a degree that is far less competitive than the degrees from NTU/SMU/NUS, I felt very stressed up knowing I have to compete with so many strong competitors next time. Most of the forums are talking about banking industry, operation department, CFA, ACCA, blah blah blah so on so forth. And all I can say, I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ALL THESE THINGS. How am I gonna showcase myself to be more favorable to be hired compared to all other graduates? I tried googling up other jobs review in Singapore. But most people in forum are just talking about business related ones. SINGAPORE IS TOO BUSINESS-ORIENTED. Is it really you will always be poor and struggle with life if you don't enter a business-related industry? (Not taking account into degrees not offered in Pte Universities like Medicine/Engineering)

Lastly, I am not an ambitious type of person, I am easily satisfied with what I have. I don't like staying in office, don't like getting caught in a rat race. I feel like I am a free bird trapped in a cage. However, based on the inflation rate, cost of living, rising prices of all commodities, I felt I need to participate in this race. But I have total no confidence in it.I am pretty demoralized, since business is not my cutting edge after all. And to make things worse, some of you have even mentioned that you are jobless despite having a degree and many years of experiences

This is my story. If i'm not wrong I would say many of you should be already started working and some of you currently still studying. Just want to know anyone share the same sentiment as me? Anyone out there are doing well in other industries and have encouraging stories to share? I am pretty stressed up I am not keeping up well with my age group. Many of my peers know the economy and their career paths well already, yet I am still trying to force myself to understand and become what society is manufacturing me into. I feel like an outcast.

Am I a loser or am I just different?

Old 25-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Unregistered

typical mentality, Ah Q mentality.

Hello brother, you are 21 years old. officially an adult. You have the right to choose what the hell you want to do.

don't come where and keep on whine whine whine. wake up your blood idea.

I think you yourself also money-minded and want to go bank. or you feel peer pressure like if you dont go bank. you sure confirm die die lose to all your friends...

Wake up please.

READ THIS PART CAREFULLY BRO:
the way you type already shows that you are a loser mentality type of person. keep on kaobei kao bu. HELLO BROTHER. you think forum people here dont know stress is it? everyone is stressed out.

most importantly, if you ****ing dont like banking, then don do it. is it that difficult? just have a dialogue with your parents and call off banking. do something you like. is it that difficult really? just tell them if you do, sure screw up the course and keep on retaking.

Old 25-06-2013, 09:59 PM
dives

I have to agree with the above post (though its harsh).

You are 21, being provided the best by your parents and I am not sure what you expect by putting this question on the forum? What answers do you want?

Issue seems you have too good a life and are afraid to tell your folks straight up for fear it might jeopardize everything. I think you should try taking a part time job and make money the hard way and it will clear up your thoughts.

Old 26-06-2013, 10:17 AM
Unregistered

To me, I think a loser is someone who gives up after numerous failures and succumb to their failures.

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. " - Thomas A. Edison
Old 29-06-2013, 12:44 AM
Unregistered

Default My 2 cents ...

Reading this thread it almost seemed like there is a competition amongst a few posters for the biggest looser. You start with a looser mindset, it'll only get worse from there.

First and foremost, realize you are in control of your life.

1) If you are unemployed, do something about it. Passively searching for the perfect job won't do it. Start with something interesting, even if it does not match your ego, then learn from it and build your career from there. A trustworthy, reliable and proactive employee is worth gold, and no sensible employer will let you go if you meet those criteria. If you make yourself indispensable, progressing upwards, with more money, will be inevitable. If, however, you do the bare minimum to get by in your job, then don't be surprised you will stagnate, get bored and not have many prospects. However, if you go over and beyond what has been asked of you, you will not only impress your boss, but make his life easier which, in turn, will make you more valuable. So don't be concerned where you start ... It's your progress that will be more meaningful.

2) If you don't want to do banking or finance, don't do it. Do something you have passion for. No matter how skilled you are in your profession, if you do not like what you are doing you will not have the incentive to go "over and beyond" the call of duty (see above), which will in turn mean you will not progress. If you are very good you may get a decent salary, but your upside will be limited. It is the "extras" that you do which will propel you forward. In similar vein, every job has ups and downs and if you are not passionate about your work, the downs will be too depressing and may lead you to give up early. So go with your passion ... Success will follow.

3) If you want to earn more, think of changes you can do that will make that possible. There may be cases where your boss is just a pencil-pusher and does not care about his work, and gene about the contribution you make in it. In such cases, transfer or change jobs. You may need to learn new skills or start knew environment, which is often scary, but it could be also exciting and break the glass ceiling you may be facing. And do not dismiss the idea of starting your own business. One of the greatest challenges for any client is to find a trustworthy, reliable and proactive vendor (note these are the same keywords as point 1), and so if. You match that description you will not have a shortage of clients, hence business, hence money. The trick is to look well after your clients and manage your growth right, and the financial rewards will come with it.

4) Don't take life, and yourself, too seriously. Every problem along the way is manageable, and the world will not collapse if its not solved the same day.

To put the above into context of my life, I started washing dishes at a restaurant (when I was 14). Through being reliable and proactive, became manager by 16 (well ahead of long-time employees for whom, however, the job was just a chore). Did my education (yes I got my phd, but once I entered proper workforce I soon realized degrees and certs don't matter as much as the 3 points above). Started in clerical, then managerial post, and within 1 year became GM of a mid-size business. Just as I though things were going great, I was pushed by my boss to manage a project completely outside my zone. Instead of getting upset, though, I learned as much as I could from the project. I understood what was being done well, and what was not. From that I realized how I can improve on things, and did so in my own business which I grew from 1 man operation to 15 employee setup. Last year I drew a 7-figure pay. It has always been hard work, but I was always in control. Though the intensity and yes, stress, has been substantial at times, I am now facing the option, at my choice, to scale down with financial security. I am 36.

Perhaps the above will help someone :-)
Old 29-06-2013, 02:22 AM
Unregistered

29 unemployed for almost 1 year now. I just hope the gravity will do the rest of the work.

Old 29-06-2013, 08:10 AM
Unregistered

Have you taken your medicine? And don't forget your appointment next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Reading this thread it almost seemed like there is a competition amongst a few posters for the biggest looser. You start with a looser mindset, it'll only get worse from there.

1) If you are unemployed, do something about it. Passively searching for the perfect job won't do it. Start with something interesting, even if it does not match your ego, then learn from it and build your career from there. A trustworthy, reliable and proactive employee is worth gold, and no sensible employer will let you go if you meet those criteria. If you make yourself indispensable, progressing upwards, with more money, will be inevitable. If, however, you do the bare minimum to get by in your job, then don't be surprised you will stagnate, get bored and not have many prospects. However, if you go over and beyond what has been asked of you, you will not only impress your boss, but make his life easier which, in turn, will make you more valuable. So don't be concerned where you start ... It's your progress that will be more meaningful.

2) If you don't want to do banking or finance, don't do it. Do something you have passion for. No matter how skilled you are in your profession, if you do not like what you are doing you will not have the incentive to go "over and beyond" the call of duty (see above), which will in turn mean you will not progress. If you are very good you may get a decent salary, but your upside will be limited. It is the "extras" that you do which will propel you forward. In similar vein, every job has ups and downs and if you are not passionate about your work, the downs will be too depressing and may lead you to give up early. So go with your passion ... Success will follow.

3) If you want to earn more, think of changes you can do that will make that possible. There may be cases where your boss is just a pencil-pusher and does not care about his work, and gene about the contribution you make in it. In such cases, transfer or change jobs. You may need to learn new skills or start knew environment, which is often scary, but it could be also exciting and break the glass ceiling you may be facing. And do not dismiss the idea of starting your own business. One of the greatest challenges for any client is to find a trustworthy, reliable and proactive vendor (note these are the same keywords as point 1), and so if. You match that description you will not have a shortage of clients, hence business, hence money. The trick is to look well after your clients and manage your growth right, and the financial rewards will come with it.

4) Don't take life, and yourself, too seriously. Every problem along the way is manageable, and the world will not collapse if its not solved the same day.

To put the above into context of my life, I started washing dishes at a restaurant (when I was 14). Through being reliable and proactive, became manager by 16 (well ahead of long-time employees for whom, however, the job was just a chore). Did my education (yes I got my phd, but once I entered proper workforce I soon realized degrees and certs don't matter as much as the 3 points above). Started in clerical, then managerial post, and within 1 year became GM of a mid-size business. Just as I though things were going great, I was pushed by my boss to manage a project completely outside my zone. Instead of getting upset, though, I learned as much as I could from the project. I understood what was being done well, and what was not. From that I realized how I can improve on things, and did so in my own business which I grew from 1 man operation to 15 employee setup. Last year I drew a 7-figure pay. It has always been hard work, but I was always in control. Though the intensity and yes, stress, has been substantial at times, I am now facing the option, at my choice, to scale down with financial security. I am 36.

Old 29-06-2013, 08:50 AM
Unregistered

Default Another meaningless post...

Quote:
Have you taken your medicine? And don't forget your appointment next week.
Wow... That's what you came up with? A meaningless response with nothing to offer. You can slot yourself squarely in the looser category.
Old 29-06-2013, 07:37 PM
Unregistered

Hello

bro, why not you do banking? your parents will be very happy that you did. They are assured you are making a lot of money and be a prestigious banker. Go do it man, i support you. Just dont end up standing outside jurong point promoting your insurance and dont end up harassing your friends to buy from you. Good Luck
Old 29-06-2013, 08:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

This is an amazing story. If its true, my heartiest congratulations for making it through.
If its not true, its a nice heartwarming story and good advice anyway.