Am I a loser or not - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Am I a loser or not

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 19-06-2013, 04:48 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1
damwiaf is on a distinguished road
Default Am I a loser or not

I am 29 yrs old (turning 30), with no family, no house, no car. Graduated with a Ph.D last year, working in a boring insurance industry with only 70k annual pay and no future. I feel I am totally a loser in my life.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 19-06-2013, 06:21 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 335
lazyplane is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by damwiaf View Post
I am 29 yrs old (turning 30), with no family, no house, no car. Graduated with a Ph.D last year, working in a boring insurance industry with only 70k annual pay and no future. I feel I am totally a loser in my life.
Dont understand. Why u complaining here ?

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 19-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

yes.......

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 19-06-2013, 06:52 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 18
kakarukeys is on a distinguished road
Default

You are at the top 10% comparing yourself to top 9% above you while you are actually better than 90% of all people.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 19-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

knn.. earning 6000 a month still complain. I am making 3,000 and I am 26 and I have no phd.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 19-06-2013, 07:45 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

dont blame the threadstarter..he does have permanent. head. damage. after all
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 19-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I can understand your sad state.
I had got my phd when I was 26. Published about 8 papers. Was all nice till then.

But once I started working, everything went down spiral. Could not cope up with people around me. They perceived me as someone different - most of them had only Bachelor degree. They started ignoring me during lunch time.

It was all getting too much for me. Started drinking and going to clubs.
Now i try not to think too much about efficiency at work. I try and behave the same way as others. While it is not making me happy as I feel I am just wasting my time, I am at least not getting sad after day"s work.

Btw, I"m earning 90k per annum and it's been 2 years since I joined this company after completing phd. It"s my 1st job.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 19-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by damwiaf View Post
I am 29 yrs old (turning 30), with no family, no house, no car. Graduated with a Ph.D last year, working in a boring insurance industry with only 70k annual pay and no future. I feel I am totally a loser in my life.
there's no short cut, got to save hard, work hard to get promoted for higher pay, and invest.

at 29 my net worth was $150K and salary of $100K. now at 36 it has increased to $1.3M and salary of $200K
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 19-06-2013, 10:11 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
there's no short cut, got to save hard, work hard to get promoted for higher pay, and invest.

at 29 my net worth was $150K and salary of $100K. now at 36 it has increased to $1.3M and salary of $200K
What's your occupation? U don't do NS I guess
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 19-06-2013, 10:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I can understand your sad state.
I had got my phd when I was 26. Published about 8 papers. Was all nice till then.

But once I started working, everything went down spiral. Could not cope up with people around me. They perceived me as someone different - most of them had only Bachelor degree. They started ignoring me during lunch time.

It was all getting too much for me. Started drinking and going to clubs.
Now i try not to think too much about efficiency at work. I try and behave the same way as others. While it is not making me happy as I feel I am just wasting my time, I am at least not getting sad after day"s work.

Btw, I"m earning 90k per annum and it's been 2 years since I joined this company after completing phd. It"s my 1st job.
How old are you when you make 90k? Just to clarify
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» 30 Recent Threads
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
18,833 Replies, 7,967,906 Views
Singapore Power EDGE Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
30 Replies, 7,245 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,126 Replies, 800,960 Views
DBS ACE Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
74 Replies, 24,233 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,021 Replies, 2,793,508 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,557 Replies, 5,653,549 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,043 Replies, 4,464,868 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
884 Replies, 271,031 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
15,138 Replies, 10,294,271 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,512 Replies, 1,202,532 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,179 Replies, 408,107 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,822 Replies, 920,128 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,031 Replies, 3,602,588 Views
Singapore Examination and...
2 Replies, 4,158 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
474 Replies, 230,603 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
661 Replies, 271,735 Views
Singapore LNG Pay
7 Replies, 4,066 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,263 Replies, 1,025,959 Views
If you can't find a company here... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
119 Replies, 25,989 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,054 Replies, 537,913 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
172 Replies, 166,848 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
204 Replies, 236,308 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,278 Replies, 3,444,592 Views
ITE (lecturer) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
259 Replies, 300,730 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,667 Replies, 1,413,045 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,246 Replies, 1,061,373 Views
AISG (AI Singapore)
0 Replies, 106 Views
BCA (Building and Construction...
0 Replies, 114 Views
Uniqlo
0 Replies, 100 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2