Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Am I a loser or not

Old 20-06-2013, 04:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Count your blessings. You are still considered very lucky. At least you have a career wide whose income is reasonable and you have passive income. Combined, your annual family income is $160,000. This is above average by Singapore standards. If you think you will have difficulty getting a new job, what you need to do first is to adjust your family lifestyle and expenses on what you have. Cut down your expenses as much as possible. For instance, eating less in expensive restaurants, selling off your car and ride a bike instead, review your insurance policy to see whether you are over insured, etc. If you can cut your expenses to below $160,000 a year, then you will be ok. If you do get a new job, that will be a big bonus. At least, your passive income of $50,000 is quite decent and you are contributing and not being fed by your wife (totally shameful if you have no income contribution at all). Since you are now a house husband, this is commendable and I believe you can spend more time with your children and wife at home. And you get to use the condo facilities more frequently and meet new friends! Hey, life is not so bad, cheer up dude!
Wake up plz, anything <$5m is considered loser at salary.sg

Old 20-06-2013, 06:46 PM

bracelets is on a distinguished road

why got lose, some people like your age only get 20k pay.

Old 22-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I think I am the biggest loser.
Used to earn $200k pa until last year when I lost my job. Don't ask why, too complicated.
Now spends my time doing house work, cooking and swimming in the condo pool.
I'm only 40, now feel miserable, earning only $50k pa of passive income while my wife earns $110k pa. Miss the adrenaline rush of ordering my staff and strategizing. Been searching for a new job, been to interviews but unsuccessful, the hiring managers are younger than me and probably see me as a threat as my CV is simply excellent. I can even qualify for a position of the CEO. Feeling very sad. My new friends are maids and security guards.
You are in no way a loser just because you are no longer in the corporate scene.

What you are doing now I have been doing for 10 years. I am indeed very good friends with my condo security guards (just bought them masks for the haze).

Time to scout around for business opportunities and build a new identity for yourself. You will get a new set of friends and learn some new tricks.

Old 22-06-2013, 06:46 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
How old are you when you make 90k? Just to clarify
I had completed PhD in 2011 when I was 26 year old. Currently, I am 28 and making 90k.
Old 22-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
You are in no way a loser just because you are no longer in the corporate scene.

What you are doing now I have been doing for 10 years. I am indeed very good friends with my condo security guards (just bought them masks for the haze).

Time to scout around for business opportunities and build a new identity for yourself. You will get a new set of friends and learn some new tricks.
How old were you when you became a house husband? Were you earning any passive income? Was your wife working? How much she earns?
Old 22-06-2013, 08:50 PM
dives

Quote:
Originally Posted by damwiaf View Post
I am 29 yrs old (turning 30), with no family, no house, no car. Graduated with a Ph.D last year, working in a boring insurance industry with only 70k annual pay and no future. I feel I am totally a loser in my life.
The problem in Singapore is the materialism that is seen to be the driving force to excel, and if one is out of the race getting inspired is pretty tough. The sandwiched class (i.e middle class) who do not get a good job after years of studying and excelling in schools get disillusioned when they don't get what they believe to have earned.

You should go see some factual documentaries (BBC has many i.e Blood & Sweat series) or places around Asean where the really poor and destitute live on hand to mouth, for example a father of 3 living along under a shack breaking his back to feed his family. (Indonesia, Philippines, Cambodia, South Thailand take your pick)

And I say this not for you to give yourself a feel good sensation but something to inspire you to work harder and fulfill you potential.

Ultimately anyone who even ask if they're a loser is not because they don't earn enough it because they have no objective or measure of where they want their lives to be. I.e they lack inspiration so my advise is go get inspired.

Old 23-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Unregistered

Here is what a real loser is:

I was retrenched 5 years ago, and remain unemployed ever since. Did stocks trading but lost money. Wife working, now feeding me and children. I'm a useless man.
Old 23-06-2013, 10:34 PM
Unregistered

Mind sharing how old you are now?

Just wondering you stayed jobless because you didn't want to take on lower skill jobs or didn't even consider them?

I have some former classmates now driving cabs after being retrenched from their office jobs. They were degree holders. They may not be earning close to their old salaries, but they are earning honest income and on their off hours, they have the cab to bring their families around.

Quote:
Here is what a real loser is:

I was retrenched 5 years ago, and remain unemployed ever since. Did stocks trading but lost money. Wife working, now feeding me and children. I'm a useless man.
Old 24-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Losermuch

Hi all,

My case is generally different from most of you. I am 21 this year, but I feel im already utterly useless. I am going to enroll into SIM-UOL this year, thus I went on to numerous forums to read up about the job prospects, starting salary, recognition, etc. Why do I feel a loser you might say?

Firstly, just to make it clear, I didn't choose UOL cause I wanted it. It was solely my parents' decision. I have absolute no interest in business, banks, financial or whatever. I always hope my future job would be something related to communication, meeting and interacting with new faces. I felt like I am forced to study something I have no passion or understanding in just because the society deemed it most useful or relevant to earn more money in the future.I feel very choked.

Secondly, since I am gonna soon take up a degree that is far less competitive than the degrees from NTU/SMU/NUS, I felt very stressed up knowing I have to compete with so many strong competitors next time. Most of the forums are talking about banking industry, operation department, CFA, ACCA, blah blah blah so on so forth. And all I can say, I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ALL THESE THINGS. How am I gonna showcase myself to be more favorable to be hired compared to all other graduates? I tried googling up other jobs review in Singapore. But most people in forum are just talking about business related ones. SINGAPORE IS TOO BUSINESS-ORIENTED. Is it really you will always be poor and struggle with life if you don't enter a business-related industry? (Not taking account into degrees not offered in Pte Universities like Medicine/Engineering)

Lastly, I am not an ambitious type of person, I am easily satisfied with what I have. I don't like staying in office, don't like getting caught in a rat race. I feel like I am a free bird trapped in a cage. However, based on the inflation rate, cost of living, rising prices of all commodities, I felt I need to participate in this race. But I have total no confidence in it.I am pretty demoralized, since business is not my cutting edge after all. And to make things worse, some of you have even mentioned that you are jobless despite having a degree and many years of experiences

This is my story. If i'm not wrong I would say many of you should be already started working and some of you currently still studying. Just want to know anyone share the same sentiment as me? Anyone out there are doing well in other industries and have encouraging stories to share? I am pretty stressed up I am not keeping up well with my age group. Many of my peers know the economy and their career paths well already, yet I am still trying to force myself to understand and become what society is manufacturing me into. I feel like an outcast.

Am I a loser or am I just different?
Old 25-06-2013, 12:57 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losermuch View Post
Hi all,

My case is generally different from most of you. I am 21 this year, but I feel im already utterly useless. I am going to enroll into SIM-UOL this year, thus I went on to numerous forums to read up about the job prospects, starting salary, recognition, etc. Why do I feel a loser you might say?

Firstly, just to make it clear, I didn't choose UOL cause I wanted it. It was solely my parents' decision. I have absolute no interest in business, banks, financial or whatever. I always hope my future job would be something related to communication, meeting and interacting with new faces. I felt like I am forced to study something I have no passion or understanding in just because the society deemed it most useful or relevant to earn more money in the future.I feel very choked.

Secondly, since I am gonna soon take up a degree that is far less competitive than the degrees from NTU/SMU/NUS, I felt very stressed up knowing I have to compete with so many strong competitors next time. Most of the forums are talking about banking industry, operation department, CFA, ACCA, blah blah blah so on so forth. And all I can say, I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ALL THESE THINGS. How am I gonna showcase myself to be more favorable to be hired compared to all other graduates? I tried googling up other jobs review in Singapore. But most people in forum are just talking about business related ones. SINGAPORE IS TOO BUSINESS-ORIENTED. Is it really you will always be poor and struggle with life if you don't enter a business-related industry? (Not taking account into degrees not offered in Pte Universities like Medicine/Engineering)

Lastly, I am not an ambitious type of person, I am easily satisfied with what I have. I don't like staying in office, don't like getting caught in a rat race. I feel like I am a free bird trapped in a cage. However, based on the inflation rate, cost of living, rising prices of all commodities, I felt I need to participate in this race. But I have total no confidence in it.I am pretty demoralized, since business is not my cutting edge after all. And to make things worse, some of you have even mentioned that you are jobless despite having a degree and many years of experiences

This is my story. If i'm not wrong I would say many of you should be already started working and some of you currently still studying. Just want to know anyone share the same sentiment as me? Anyone out there are doing well in other industries and have encouraging stories to share? I am pretty stressed up I am not keeping up well with my age group. Many of my peers know the economy and their career paths well already, yet I am still trying to force myself to understand and become what society is manufacturing me into. I feel like an outcast.

Am I a loser or am I just different?
First and foremost, I believe that you must make the best of your situation. Put the local uni vs private uni debate aside for a sec. Most people in local uni are also there because thats the best they can do. Im in NUS engin and all my friends had aspirations to be in Law or political science etc but we are here because we didnt do very well. But we have decided that that's life and we study hard for a better future. Live with what you have and be grateful for it. Dont like? Then work harder so you dont make the same mistake again. Ask yourself, why arent you in a good communication course like NTU comm studies or NUS? Because you're grades aren't good. That's why you're heading to SIM. But its not the end, it doesn't have to be the end. Study hard, whack 3 years in SIM and get your first class. Trust me, its not that hard. With a FCH degree, you can now do wdv masters course you want that interests you, following which you can get a good job hopefully in the field that you want.

All these things you are saying, singapore is too biz oriented, society is trying to force you into something is pretty retarded. The world is like that. No country is perfect. We cannot change it. That's the fact, we can't do anything to change the world. But we can change ourselves to adapt to situations that are not to our liking.

Nobody owes you a living, you have to earn it yourself. Your parents are doing what is best for you. Although I believe that SIM biz has very few prospects. Try accountancy or econs. Biz is definitely not the way to go for a private degree. Like I said, earn it yourself. What have you earned in your life? You want to study something else, but have you EARNED that right? No. I dont believe so. Start working hard and earn something for yourself for once in your life.