Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Am I a loser or not
View Single Post
Old 25-06-2013, 09:37 AM
ferent

You parents probably have misconceptions about banking and finance after hearing the usual bullshiit from the same old big cannons. Only a small minority in banks make it big, the rest just plod through their miserable lives with average pay, obsene hours and pathetic bonuses. But banking as a whole all like to potray the image of a successful banker.

Since you have zero interest in banking/finance, it might be better to take up sub disciplines within business that have more to do with marketing, human resource management or supply chain.

The UOL degree will still put you at severe disadvantage when competing with the strong ones in NUS/NTU/SMU, but at least in these fields its not so competitive and you still stand a decent chance of making it.

You like that no interest, no competency go study banking finance, then run around headless to try your luck in a super hot industry like banking I confirm chop gurantee you end up either selling insurance, term loans, credit cards in a bank or force to take up some finance exec job in a SME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losermuch View Post
Hi all,

My case is generally different from most of you. I am 21 this year, but I feel im already utterly useless. I am going to enroll into SIM-UOL this year, thus I went on to numerous forums to read up about the job prospects, starting salary, recognition, etc. Why do I feel a loser you might say?

Firstly, just to make it clear, I didn't choose UOL cause I wanted it. It was solely my parents' decision. I have absolute no interest in business, banks, financial or whatever. I always hope my future job would be something related to communication, meeting and interacting with new faces. I felt like I am forced to study something I have no passion or understanding in just because the society deemed it most useful or relevant to earn more money in the future.I feel very choked.

Secondly, since I am gonna soon take up a degree that is far less competitive than the degrees from NTU/SMU/NUS, I felt very stressed up knowing I have to compete with so many strong competitors next time. Most of the forums are talking about banking industry, operation department, CFA, ACCA, blah blah blah so on so forth. And all I can say, I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ALL THESE THINGS. How am I gonna showcase myself to be more favorable to be hired compared to all other graduates? I tried googling up other jobs review in Singapore. But most people in forum are just talking about business related ones. SINGAPORE IS TOO BUSINESS-ORIENTED. Is it really you will always be poor and struggle with life if you don't enter a business-related industry? (Not taking account into degrees not offered in Pte Universities like Medicine/Engineering)

Lastly, I am not an ambitious type of person, I am easily satisfied with what I have. I don't like staying in office, don't like getting caught in a rat race. I feel like I am a free bird trapped in a cage. However, based on the inflation rate, cost of living, rising prices of all commodities, I felt I need to participate in this race. But I have total no confidence in it.I am pretty demoralized, since business is not my cutting edge after all. And to make things worse, some of you have even mentioned that you are jobless despite having a degree and many years of experiences

This is my story. If i'm not wrong I would say many of you should be already started working and some of you currently still studying. Just want to know anyone share the same sentiment as me? Anyone out there are doing well in other industries and have encouraging stories to share? I am pretty stressed up I am not keeping up well with my age group. Many of my peers know the economy and their career paths well already, yet I am still trying to force myself to understand and become what society is manufacturing me into. I feel like an outcast.

Am I a loser or am I just different?