Full-time vs internship - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Full-time vs internship

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 25-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9
kaden1 is on a distinguished road
Default Full-time vs internship

Hi,

While I was discharging my NS liability, I duely completed all ACCA examinations before my ORD next month. However, I am confused as to, given the fact that I would enter university in Aug/Sep 2013, should I search for a full-time position or intern in one of the Big 4s.

I understand that full-time position confers more training opportunities, will allow me to command a higher salary and provides me with more responsibilities, but the ethicality of professing that I would not resign from the job in 6 months is troubling me.

Therefore, I would like to enquire on the following issues:

1. Does interning provide me the same training opportunities as assuming a full-time appointment?
2. Is it unethical to resign after 6 months, and will it carry ramifications to my employability in the future? I plan to work as a lawyer then hop to management consultancy.

Regards
Kaden

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 25-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

for option 2, you want to take on perm job but quit in 6 months? i think the interviewer might ask you whether you plan to join university right? even if you said going to uni next year, means you are going to stay in the company max 1.5yrs, which wouldnt put you in a good light IMHO.

A 3-6mths full time contract might suit you better..



SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iPhone


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 25-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

confusing... first say complete acca then say want to be lawyer then later want to be management consultant.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 25-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 68
wern is on a distinguished road
Default

Yeah.. I also confused about that. Seems like TS doesn't know what he wants.
If you finished your ACCA with good grades, you can try going straight into Big4. Some firms are willing to accept acca in lieu of a degree.

ACCA and accountancy side can later move on to consultancy roles but I don't get the lawyer part. BTW you can take up summer internships with the big4 which will coincide and end just before uni starts. Anyway if they offer you a FT position you should just take it.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 26-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9
kaden1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
confusing... first say complete acca then say want to be lawyer then later want to be management consultant.
Ohh my apologies for the confusion: My mid-term aim is to be a lawyer as the job scope is more interesting and is better paid as compared to an accountant.

In the long-term, however, I will use my lawyering and slight accounting experience to transit into management consultancy. My motivation in doing so lies solely in trying to break the pay cap faced by many lawyers and hopefully understand more about businesses to eventually hold multiple directorships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wern View Post
Yeah.. I also confused about that. Seems like TS doesn't know what he wants.
If you finished your ACCA with good grades, you can try going straight into Big4. Some firms are willing to accept acca in lieu of a degree.

ACCA and accountancy side can later move on to consultancy roles but I don't get the lawyer part. BTW you can take up summer internships with the big4 which will coincide and end just before uni starts. Anyway if they offer you a FT position you should just take it.
Is it irresponsible or does it reflect unfavourably upon me in the future to leave after just 6 months of being permanent staff?

My aims of working for the coming 6 months are to bolster my CV and gain some practical knowledge to satisfy the ACCA's practical experience requirements.

Last edited by kaden1; 26-11-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 26-11-2012, 02:52 PM
QXP
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaden1 View Post
Ohh my apologies for the confusion: My mid-term aim is to be a lawyer as the job scope is more interesting and is better paid as compared to an accountant.

In the long-term, however, I will use my lawyering and slight accounting experience to transit into management consultancy. My motivation in doing so lies solely in trying to break the pay cap faced by many lawyers and hopefully understand more about businesses to eventually hold multiple directorships.



Is it irresponsible or does it reflect unfavourably upon me in the future to leave after just 6 months of being permanent staff?

My aims of working for the coming 6 months are to bolster my CV and gain some practical knowledge to satisfy the ACCA's practical experience requirements.
You have a fundamental misconception on how careers work. You do not move up the ladder by picking up all sorts of unrelated entry level skill sets along the way. ACCA prepares you to be an accountant, a legal degree prepares you to be a lawyer or legal counsel. These skills have very little to do with your ultimate goal as a management consultant.

To be a management consultant in a big firm, you need an MBA from a top tier university like Insead, Harvard, Chicago, Wharton, Imperial etc. Having a law degree or ACCA has zero value. Also to be a management consultant the closest career experience you need is M&A Corporate Finance, Marketing & Business Planning Strategy or Human Resource.

You are going about totally the wrong way.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 26-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9
kaden1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QXP View Post
You have a fundamental misconception on how careers work. You do not move up the ladder by picking up all sorts of unrelated entry level skill sets along the way. ACCA prepares you to be an accountant, a legal degree prepares you to be a lawyer or legal counsel. These skills have very little to do with your ultimate goal as a management consultant.

To be a management consultant in a big firm, you need an MBA from a top tier university like Insead, Harvard, Chicago, Wharton, Imperial etc. Having a law degree or ACCA has zero value. Also to be a management consultant the closest career experience you need is M&A Corporate Finance, Marketing & Business Planning Strategy or Human Resource.

You are going about totally the wrong way.
Thank you very much for spending the time to address my concerns.

I have always understood ACCA to be sub-par to any business-related degrees but my research indicated that it is the most optimal choice of course to take when serving NS.

A cursory review of the the NUS Law syllabus also suggests that reading law, except for certain small modules, are hardly contributive to my goal of being a management consultant. While NUS provides us with the option of undertaking a Biz/Law DDP, I don't find the value in spending an extra year doing business, while crippling myself of the number of law electives I can take, when I can use that extra year to complete an MBA. This is also the reason why I refuse to spend 3 years to complete a BBA, even though it can be claimed that it is more relevant to my eventual goal.

My tentative plan is therefore as such: leverage on my ACCA accreditation to land a strategy or transactions (E&Y) role in one of the top 4 as an intern for 6 months before the school term commences, finish my law course and pupilage, take up an MBA at a reputable university then transit into management consultancy.

BCG and McKinsey's websites both revealed that they are seeking graduates with law degrees for their business consultancy work. This has led me to believe that completing ACCA, LLM and MBA will serve me well towards my goal of being a management consultant, while also giving me the financial security a law degree confers.

Last edited by kaden1; 26-11-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 26-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I have never heard of a lawyer going into accounts or an accountant practising law. Once you go into accounting/law, they are professionals in their own right, and any other side careers will dilute your skill set.

If you really like both accounts and law, the generic way here is to specialise in commercial or tax law, and they usually start their careers as lawyers. With these knowledge, you could fulfil your management consultant role of being a legal adviser.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 26-11-2012, 03:39 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9
kaden1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have never heard of a lawyer going into accounts or an accountant practising law. Once you go into accounting/law, they are professionals in their own right, and any other side careers will dilute your skill set.

If you really like both accounts and law, the generic way here is to specialise in commercial or tax law, and they usually start their careers as lawyers. With these knowledge, you could fulfil your management consultant role of being a legal adviser.
True, if your intended path is to focus on just accounting and law, any careers unrelated to these 2 professions will dilute your skill-sets.

My personal perspective of these two professions, on the contrary, is that they are professional skill-sets or knowledge that will complement my MBA, which I would bank on to secure a job as a management consultant in firms like Bain, BCG, McKinsey. I have no plans to become a legal advisor in the long-term.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 26-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9
kaden1 is on a distinguished road
Default

It would be greatly appreciated if someone would be kind enough to spend some time to address these questions aforementioned:

1. Does interning provide me the same training opportunities as assuming a full-time appointment?
2. Is it unethical to resign after 6 months, and will it carry ramifications to my employability in the future? I plan to work as a lawyer then hop to management consultancy.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
12 Tuition/ Piano Jobs Vacancies: Full time/ NIE/Part time tutors- $20 to 50/hr gratifytuitionagency Marketplace and Find Work 0 07-08-2012 05:06 PM
Hiring Part-Time/Full-Time Surveyors NEEDED windncloud Marketplace and Find Work 0 16-07-2012 04:18 PM
Part-Time/Full-Time Surveyors Earn 1k~2k/month windncloud Marketplace and Find Work 1 25-06-2012 11:53 AM
Part-Time/Full-Time Surveyors Earn 1k~2k/month (Students are welcome!) windncloud Marketplace and Find Work 1 20-06-2012 02:12 PM
Job position available: Part-time/full-time telemarketer intel Marketplace and Find Work 0 23-11-2011 02:53 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Sign On After 30? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
38 Replies, 4,103 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,231 Replies, 2,746,816 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
864 Replies, 448,126 Views
What course should I undertake?
9 Replies, 4,379 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,734 Replies, 1,648,345 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
990 Replies, 771,487 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
724 Replies, 221,285 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
113 Replies, 17,230 Views
Advantages
2 Replies, 992 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
209 Replies, 120,894 Views
Retiring in Taiwan
7 Replies, 443 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,343 Replies, 5,676,045 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,289 Replies, 1,006,539 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,832 Replies, 283,763 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
114 Replies, 34,598 Views
I need honest advice. Jump to... ( 1 2 3)
22 Replies, 2,630 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,953 Replies, 3,760,268 Views
Band 4 and Band 5 in Standard... ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 3,007 Views
Aircraft Maintenance License and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
618 Replies, 462,113 Views
How useful is CMFAS in improving... ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 27,366 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,346 Replies, 1,936,517 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
410 Replies, 296,125 Views
Why does Singapore not have a...
9 Replies, 4,966 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,947 Replies, 1,104,002 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
471 Replies, 92,006 Views
Entry requirements to get into...
3 Replies, 558 Views
Anyone worked in singhealth/nhg? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
49 Replies, 71,482 Views
How To Find Rich & Elite In...
2 Replies, 349 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2