Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Full-time vs internship
View Single Post
Old 26-11-2012, 03:11 PM

kaden1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by QXP View Post
You have a fundamental misconception on how careers work. You do not move up the ladder by picking up all sorts of unrelated entry level skill sets along the way. ACCA prepares you to be an accountant, a legal degree prepares you to be a lawyer or legal counsel. These skills have very little to do with your ultimate goal as a management consultant.

To be a management consultant in a big firm, you need an MBA from a top tier university like Insead, Harvard, Chicago, Wharton, Imperial etc. Having a law degree or ACCA has zero value. Also to be a management consultant the closest career experience you need is M&A Corporate Finance, Marketing & Business Planning Strategy or Human Resource.

You are going about totally the wrong way.
Thank you very much for spending the time to address my concerns.

I have always understood ACCA to be sub-par to any business-related degrees but my research indicated that it is the most optimal choice of course to take when serving NS.

A cursory review of the the NUS Law syllabus also suggests that reading law, except for certain small modules, are hardly contributive to my goal of being a management consultant. While NUS provides us with the option of undertaking a Biz/Law DDP, I don't find the value in spending an extra year doing business, while crippling myself of the number of law electives I can take, when I can use that extra year to complete an MBA. This is also the reason why I refuse to spend 3 years to complete a BBA, even though it can be claimed that it is more relevant to my eventual goal.

My tentative plan is therefore as such: leverage on my ACCA accreditation to land a strategy or transactions (E&Y) role in one of the top 4 as an intern for 6 months before the school term commences, finish my law course and pupilage, take up an MBA at a reputable university then transit into management consultancy.

BCG and McKinsey's websites both revealed that they are seeking graduates with law degrees for their business consultancy work. This has led me to believe that completing ACCA, LLM and MBA will serve me well towards my goal of being a management consultant, while also giving me the financial security a law degree confers.

Last edited by kaden1; 26-11-2012 at 03:15 PM.