Full-time vs internship - Page 3 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Full-time vs internship

Old 26-11-2012, 10:36 PM

kaden1 is on a distinguished road

I'm appreciative of those who provided constructive advice, such as highlighting the impossibility of achieving an MBA without an real work experience. Thanks to you I am currently reviewing my plans.

I would also like to comment that it is absolutely immature to hurl insults at someone who is genuinely seeking help and advice and have done no harm to you or any third party. It is even sadder when those insults are baseless and give no due consideration to the information I have actually provided.

Old 27-11-2012, 12:30 AM
QXP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaden1 View Post
I'm appreciative of those who provided constructive advice, such as highlighting the impossibility of achieving an MBA without an real work experience. Thanks to you I am currently reviewing my plans.

I would also like to comment that it is absolutely immature to hurl insults at someone who is genuinely seeking help and advice and have done no harm to you or any third party. It is even sadder when those insults are baseless and give no due consideration to the information I have actually provided.
It is normal some people will be more direct to the point of being rude, others will be more polite. No matter what it doesn't change the fact yours is quite a foolish plan. Once you go out to work, colleagues will smile and massage your ego in front and laugh behind your back which will be far worse.

It is best you identify what you really want to do first before thinking in vague abstract generalities like wanting multiple directorships, hoping around your way to riches, getting a world class mba etc. Time waits for no one, once you make a mistake and find out only in your mid 30s by then it will likely be too late to recover lost time.

Old 27-11-2012, 12:35 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaden1 View Post

you seriously need to man the F up and eat some humble pie. When you present your plans and ideas, prepare to stand by it and take the heat. If next time your colleagues/boss criticize your project as not viable and basically going nowhere, you're going to cry in one corner and blast them as immature is it?

We giving you realistic grounded advice here. Besides wth takes ACCA then LLB expecting to move into mgt consultancy roles? smlj? illogical and wasting your youth only. decide on a specific industry and then work towards it.

Old 27-11-2012, 08:41 AM
Unregistered

He took ACCA during NS isn't it? I don't know why everyone is so mean on this thread.
Doing ACCA during NS is better than just bumming around isn't it?
Old 27-11-2012, 09:20 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
He took ACCA during NS isn't it? I don't know why everyone is so mean on this thread.
Doing ACCA during NS is better than just bumming around isn't it?
better mean and honest then say useless positive things that mean no sh!t. besides others not saying ACCA not good rather they are saying the plan to use ACCA to leverage to E&Y internship to leverage to LLB to leverage to Harvard MBA to leverage to Mckenzie consultant is dumb not workable.
Old 27-11-2012, 09:24 AM
Unregistered

The working world does not count on qualifications only. You need connections to make it big as well.

Old 27-11-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
you seriously need to man the F up and eat some humble pie. When you present your plans and ideas, prepare to stand by it and take the heat. If next time your colleagues/boss criticize your project as not viable and basically going nowhere, you're going to cry in one corner and blast them as immature is it?

We giving you realistic grounded advice here. Besides wth takes ACCA then LLB expecting to move into mgt consultancy roles? smlj? illogical and wasting your youth only. decide on a specific industry and then work towards it.
I thanked and acknowledged every advice that was given. I dedicated a paragraph solely to address those who fired personal attacks. is this an indication of me being a pussy and prideful?

I appreciate realistic grounded advice, and I would like to thank you for spending some time to highlight the unfeasibility of my plans. But i see no need to include what may deem to you as the realism of verbal warfare and blunt criticisms to a kid who is seeking advice from people who are more experienced.

In return for your advice, let me give you another: it would serve you well if you don't speak in real life in the same way as you do in forums; but it's alright if you only articulate these thoughts in anonymity online.
Old 27-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Unregistered

while certain top universities like cambridge do require you to work 3 years before commencing your mba course, other universities like harvard did not state that as a pre-requistite in their admission criteria.
To be considered for admission, an applicant must have successfully completed the following:

A degree program at an accredited U.S. four-year undergraduate college/university or its equivalent (unless you are a college senior applying to our 2+2 Program).
Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE) from a test taken January 1, 2008 or later. The GMAT or GRE is a prerequisite for admission;
Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score from a test taken January 1, 2011 or later, is required for international applicants who attended a non-English-speaking undergraduate university; and
Submission of a complete online application for evaluation by one of the decision round deadlines.

Thus, it is still possible for you to take on the MBA upon completing your law degree for consultancy and if that is the case, whether you are doing an internship or a short term full time position will not actually benefit you in terms of your long term goal.

And, to answer your question

1. Does interning provide me the same training opportunities as assuming a full-time appointment?

This, i really do not know but the internships at big 4 are definitely well-sought after by many students in the local universities.

2. Is it unethical to resign after 6 months, and will it carry ramifications to my employability in the future? I plan to work as a lawyer then hop to management consultancy.

If you are honest to the company that you can commit for 6 months then they will not fault you in any way should you leave the company but chances are, they will not employ you.

Hope this helps.
Old 27-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
while certain top universities like cambridge do require you to work 3 years before commencing your mba course, other universities like harvard did not state that as a pre-requistite in their admission criteria.
To be considered for admission, an applicant must have successfully completed the following:

A degree program at an accredited U.S. four-year undergraduate college/university or its equivalent (unless you are a college senior applying to our 2+2 Program).
Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE) from a test taken January 1, 2008 or later. The GMAT or GRE is a prerequisite for admission;
Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score from a test taken January 1, 2011 or later, is required for international applicants who attended a non-English-speaking undergraduate university; and
Submission of a complete online application for evaluation by one of the decision round deadlines.

Thus, it is still possible for you to take on the MBA upon completing your law degree for consultancy and if that is the case, whether you are doing an internship or a short term full time position will not actually benefit you in terms of your long term goal.
Havard MBA has never accepted anyone who has never worked before, they do not state it because it is already expected that everyone will know.

Quote:
1. Does interning provide me the same training opportunities as assuming a full-time appointment?

This, i really do not know but the internships at big 4 are definitely well-sought after by many students in the local universities.
In short you are not saying anything

Quote:
2. Is it unethical to resign after 6 months, and will it carry ramifications to my employability in the future? I plan to work as a lawyer then hop to management consultancy.

If you are honest to the company that you can commit for 6 months then they will not fault you in any way should you leave the company but chances are, they will not employ you.
Again thats not saying anything.
Old 27-11-2012, 03:56 PM

Harvard, along with Stanford, does indeed allow you, and there are real examples to substantiate so, to participate in an MBA programme immediately graduation, but this privilege is reserved for the most exceptional of applicants who have exemplified that they have acquired valuable business experience and displayed excellent civic consciousness during the course of their undergraduate studies.

Regardless, it would be good if I can have more insights that would aid me in resolving my dilemma of internship vs full-time.