Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Full-time vs internship
View Single Post
Old 26-11-2012, 02:52 PM
QXP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaden1 View Post
Ohh my apologies for the confusion: My mid-term aim is to be a lawyer as the job scope is more interesting and is better paid as compared to an accountant.

In the long-term, however, I will use my lawyering and slight accounting experience to transit into management consultancy. My motivation in doing so lies solely in trying to break the pay cap faced by many lawyers and hopefully understand more about businesses to eventually hold multiple directorships.

Is it irresponsible or does it reflect unfavourably upon me in the future to leave after just 6 months of being permanent staff?

My aims of working for the coming 6 months are to bolster my CV and gain some practical knowledge to satisfy the ACCA's practical experience requirements.
You have a fundamental misconception on how careers work. You do not move up the ladder by picking up all sorts of unrelated entry level skill sets along the way. ACCA prepares you to be an accountant, a legal degree prepares you to be a lawyer or legal counsel. These skills have very little to do with your ultimate goal as a management consultant.

To be a management consultant in a big firm, you need an MBA from a top tier university like Insead, Harvard, Chicago, Wharton, Imperial etc. Having a law degree or ACCA has zero value. Also to be a management consultant the closest career experience you need is M&A Corporate Finance, Marketing & Business Planning Strategy or Human Resource.

You are going about totally the wrong way.