Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 24-03-2014, 05:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
any one heard of "Achievers Business Consultancy Pte Ltd"? was approached to go for a interview...

no company website, acra bizfile listed as cancelled.. bogus company? abit scared to go...
If it's bogus, why and how did you even apply for a job in the first place?

Old 24-03-2014, 08:23 PM
Unregistered

Default Bean

Quote:
My husband lost his job just before our traditional wedding dinner. That was 11 years ago. He was in and out of several jobs since then. The longest he held on to a job was last year for a year. Before that he had 6 months with Singtel and 6 months as a teacher both times of which I got pregnant thinking he finally found a steady job. Sometimes, he would be jobless for a year when he would give tuition off and on.
It has been tough on us and mentally stressful for me till I had a breakdown. Fortunately, my job is stable and pays quite well. I work as a medical locum GP doctor. Sometimes, he thinks he is not given a chance as his employer would think we would be alright since my job is stable and pays quite well.
Fortunately, we manage to make money from property, buying when he had a stable income record and now live in a landed terrace.The value of the house has doubled from 1.1 million when we bought it to 2 million now. We are also waiting for our MM to TOP soon and for it to give us passive income. We are also awaiting state consent for a JB semidetached house which we bought with an equity loan against the value of our terrace.
We hope to pay off our terrace mortgage soon in a few years time and semiretire in JB when the RTS is up in 2019. Our rental income from our MM and terrace should enable us to retire in JB if we want to....
I am thankful to God for his provision and for blessing me with 2 sons and even though my husband's job situation sucks, at least he does not have any vices and tries still to get a job...
Sorry to hear that and thanks for sharing your story. What line of work was your husband in before he got retrenched long time back? I'm guessing either of you probably come from a well off family background which allowed you to accumulate the properties including the terrace. As it's unlikely the purchases can rely on your sole income given that he probably makes much lesser than you. Is my analysis correct?

Old 24-03-2014, 08:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Sorry to hear that and thanks for sharing your story. What line of work was your husband in before he got retrenched long time back? I'm guessing either of you probably come from a well off family background which allowed you to accumulate the properties including the terrace. As it's unlikely the purchases can rely on your sole income given that he probably makes much lesser than you. Is my analysis correct?
He was working as a Bid manager in a GLC when he got retrenched. We come from middle income families but my family did help out by contributing to my savings account before I started work and 50k when we bought the terrace. That was when my dad just passed away too and he wanted to help me as it was to get my sons into a good primary school as the terrace was within 1 km of the school.

Old 24-03-2014, 11:10 PM
Unregistered

If you didn't apply and don't feel comfortable you should not go, too many scammers these days.

Not many people would think to use Acra/bizfile to do background check, I am quite impressed. I use that all the time as well to check into people before doing business with them.

@ Floralpeace, we are two separate people coming to the same conclusion, as the other chap said its constructive criticism. Honestly we don't gain anything from providing you with it, chin up and take your image seriously and people will give you the respect.

Quote:
any one heard of "Achievers Business Consultancy Pte Ltd"? was approached to go for a interview...

no company website, acra bizfile listed as cancelled.. bogus company? abit scared to go...
Old 25-03-2014, 12:00 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
If you didn't apply and don't feel comfortable you should not go, too many scammers these days.

Not many people would think to use Acra/bizfile to do background check, I am quite impressed. I use that all the time as well to check into people before doing business with them.

@ Floralpeace, we are two separate people coming to the same conclusion, as the other chap said its constructive criticism. Honestly we don't gain anything from providing you with it, chin up and take your image seriously and people will give you the respect.
What are the info that you look for when you check the $5 bizfile profile? There isn't much, except for paid-up capital and registered home addresses (some are outdated, I notice) of directors and shareholders. Do you also get the $26 financial filing? What about those businesses that aren't required to file financial reports?
Old 25-03-2014, 11:46 AM
Unregistered

Looks like everything is turning out well for both of you. If you sell you properties in Singapore, say you get $2m, you will get RM5.2m when you convert to RM. This is a lot of money and both of you can retire happily.

Quote:
My husband lost his job just before our traditional wedding dinner. That was 11 years ago. He was in and out of several jobs since then. The longest he held on to a job was last year for a year. Before that he had 6 months with Singtel and 6 months as a teacher both times of which I got pregnant thinking he finally found a steady job. Sometimes, he would be jobless for a year when he would give tuition off and on.
It has been tough on us and mentally stressful for me till I had a breakdown. Fortunately, my job is stable and pays quite well. I work as a medical locum GP doctor. Sometimes, he thinks he is not given a chance as his employer would think we would be alright since my job is stable and pays quite well.
Fortunately, we manage to make money from property, buying when he had a stable income record and now live in a landed terrace.The value of the house has doubled from 1.1 million when we bought it to 2 million now. We are also waiting for our MM to TOP soon and for it to give us passive income. We are also awaiting state consent for a JB semidetached house which we bought with an equity loan against the value of our terrace.
We hope to pay off our terrace mortgage soon in a few years time and semiretire in JB when the RTS is up in 2019. Our rental income from our MM and terrace should enable us to retire in JB if we want to....
I am thankful to God for his provision and for blessing me with 2 sons and even though my husband's job situation sucks, at least he does not have any vices and tries still to get a job...

Old 25-03-2014, 01:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Looks like everything is turning out well for both of you. If you sell you properties in Singapore, say you get $2m, you will get RM5.2m when you convert to RM. This is a lot of money and both of you can retire happily.
We won't get that much but prob 1.6 million. Tempted to do that but think it is safer to leave at least 1 property in Sg in case things don't work out in JB. Awaiting state consent for the JB house still and considering moving there soon but main concern is kids schooling as international schools there are expensive unless we do the daily commute here.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 25-03-2014, 09:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
We won't get that much but prob 1.6 million. Tempted to do that but think it is safer to leave at least 1 property in Sg in case things don't work out in JB. Awaiting state consent for the JB house still and considering moving there soon but main concern is kids schooling as international schools there are expensive unless we do the daily commute here.
Just wondering how much are you earning per annum? How much is your hubby earning per annum?
Old 25-03-2014, 09:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Just wondering how much are you earning per annum? How much is your hubby earning per annum?
I earned 150k pa last year which was my record high so far and he earned about 90k pa last year which was his record high. Most years I earn about 120 to 140k and his varies very much but mostly less than 50k.
Old 25-03-2014, 09:37 PM
Unregistered

It depends on what I am after I suppose, for example the person claim to own the company so I pull out records on his company. Financial checks on smaller companies are hard to perform I'll have to admit but the person running the show is the one to go after in such cases.

Usually I look for
Business profile
Can I check if the business was formally named something else ( and Google that for fraud etc)
From there you can find
- Shareholder details, other companies or Shareholders NRIC/House address.
- Director details, NRIC / House address etc

Plus can find the other business partners and check them as well

People Profile
Using his IC I can pull out details of other companies the person has vested interest in and search on those too.
Bankruptcy check included

Extracts
For bigger firms I will use this and extract out their accounts, however mostly not audited these days so its limited impact. Just gives you of its structure.

SLA (Singapore Land Authority)
Using house address I can buy information from SLA to confirm if he owns the house or renting etc. Same goes for his business address.

I have to admit Singapore information system is soo documented its scary, I'm concerned who searches my background and companies too lol.

However its the cheapest and easiest background check one can perform.

I got some other bits I look for too, but its hard to write it down unless I actually have something in mind to look for.

Quote:
What are the info that you look for when you check the $5 bizfile profile? There isn't much, except for paid-up capital and registered home addresses (some are outdated, I notice) of directors and shareholders. Do you also get the $26 financial filing? What about those businesses that aren't required to file financial reports?