Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Salary reasonable for private school?

Old 12-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Unregistered_Making Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecce View Post
I'm a "he", btw.

In my industry, salary is always an issue unless you work for big MNC or you hold a supervisory role. I think a mistake I made is when I came back from overseas, I joined a company that underpaid me, despite that I've already had 5 years experience at that time. I didn't work very long for that company and decided to leave the company and start my own business and teach part-time for a year. The business didn't really work out as well as I have wanted it. So I decided to change plans and go into full-time teaching instead. Actually what the private school is offering me is already 20% more than what I was getting in my last full time job.

The school asked for my past salaries and I had been honest with them. The thing is, I realized my bargaining power is very low if I were to negotiate for better pay. Some more I'm already in my mid-thirties, I think it's very tough for people my age to find jobs. I've already set my mind to teach as 1) I discovered my interest in it after teaching part-time for a year and I have received quite good feedback from my students and senior lecturer (2) it generally offer better income compared to going back to work in my industry, which is getting very competitive. Also, working hours can be quite bad depending on the projects you do.

So, in term of salary wise, it'll definitely be a gain for me with what I am offered. The only thing that bothers me is that I might be "short changed" if this is lower than the market rate for people with my experience. Btw, I forgot to mention that the company also said that my salary would be reviewed after 6 months of working with them.

So I think better for me to take up the offer first and then try to re-negotiate after 6 months? Would that be better?
Definitely take it first and negotiate further once you are confirm. It is only fair for both parties to evaluate whether each of you fit into the organization.

Teaching is a passion and not everyone is cut out for it.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Unregistered

This we will review in 6 mths on confirmation is a standard BS stunt that most SME try. When the time comes they will claim they have reviewed and your pay is good enough, the kinder bosses might give you some small token increment like $100.

Truth is you are short changed quite badly… I mean with 10+ years work exp in mid 30s and offered fresh grad pay is hard to read any other way.

But fact is you messed up your career and biz earlier, so really is LPPL whatever they give you have to take lor.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Verified Member

Ecce is on a distinguished road

Hi all, thanks for the replies.

Just to clarify, I have 6 years experience, not 10+ years. Also the business I have is not considered failed as in it will still be running. Just that I will be involved in a way that that is less hands-on. Without sufficient resources to grow the business, I am not ready to commit full time into it.

But I understand the point that bros here are coming from and I agree. I had initially thought that with a degree and 6 years of relevant industry experience including overseas exposure, I should be expecting at least 4k for a full time teaching job. But it looks like economy is not doing well. Or maybe it's just the competitive nature of my industry.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi all, thanks for the replies.

Just to clarify, I have 6 years experience, not 10+ years. Also the business I have is not considered failed as in it will still be running. Just that I will be involved in a way that that is less hands-on. Without sufficient resources to grow the business, I am not ready to commit full time into it.

But I understand the point that bros here are coming from and I agree. I had initially thought that with a degree and 6 years of relevant industry experience including overseas exposure, I should be expecting at least 4k for a full time teaching job. But it looks like economy is not doing well. Or maybe it's just the competitive nature of my industry.
Wow you mid 30s and only work 6 years? How come start work so late?
Old 12-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Verified Member

Ecce is on a distinguished road

Long story, bro. I had worked in an un-related industry after I have finished my degree for more than a year. Then I quit and studied again full time for another year and then changed industry after that. Been 6 years since then.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Unregistered

So assuming you got your first degree at 25..

and you worked for 1 year till you are 26..

Then you say you went back to school to obtain your masters degree full-time ( this took you slightly over a year period you say )... So we assume you completed at 28...

So the 6 years of experience you say you possessed is the 1 year experience you've gained before your masters degree and then the subsequent 5 years working experience after your masters right? so that means you are around 33 years old??..

Frankly to only draw 3.5k at 33years old is damn shitty salary.. After CPF only left with less than 3k... will be very difficult to support familly/parents... Better think twice..

Quote:
Long story, bro. I had worked in an un-related industry after I have finished my degree for more than a year. Then I quit and studied again full time for another year and then changed industry after that. Been 6 years since then.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So assuming you got your first degree at 25..

and you worked for 1 year till you are 26..

Then you say you went back to school to obtain your masters degree full-time ( this took you slightly over a year period you say )... So we assume you completed at 28...

So the 6 years of experience you say you possessed is the 1 year experience you've gained before your masters degree and then the subsequent 5 years working experience after your masters right? so that means you are around 33 years old??..

Frankly to only draw 3.5k at 33years old is damn shitty salary.. After CPF only left with less than 3k... will be very difficult to support familly/parents... Better think twice..
Wonderful, let's sack the HR compensation & benefits guys and just pay people according to their age and their financial commitments. Hey, I just bought a car, so my pay must be $6k. Great system.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Wonderful, let's sack the HR compensation & benefits guys and just pay people according to their age and their financial commitments. Hey, I just bought a car, so my pay must be $6k. Great system.
Of course, salary is based on HR's assessment of an individual's experience and capabilities... . what I think that guy means is that if your monthly salary too low.. It will be difficult to cope within with rising cost of living in Singapore... as well as to be able to properly take care of your dependents... So try to find a better paying job and don't short change himself and family...

Frankly if a person's salary is low.. Why want to buy car to show off??? The COE prices are insane these days!! If no money then just take bus, MRT like everybody else lah... I pity the fools who squeeze every drop of their take home income to put a car on the road and feed the ERP gantry everyday... Pathetic... What really counts is your have money inside the bank... Why can't people just learn to live within their means instead of always wanting to keep up with appearances... Empty shell only...
Old 12-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Of course, salary is based on HR's assessment of an individual's experience and capabilities... . what I think that guy means is that if your monthly salary too low.. It will be difficult to cope within with rising cost of living in Singapore... as well as to be able to properly take care of your dependents... So try to find a better paying job and don't short change himself and family...

Frankly if a person's salary is low.. Why want to buy car to show off??? The COE prices are insane these days!! If no money then just take bus, MRT like everybody else lah... I pity the fools who squeeze every drop of their take home income to put a car on the road and feed the ERP gantry everyday... Pathetic... What really counts is your have money inside the bank... Why can't people just learn to live within their means instead of always wanting to keep up with appearances... Empty shell only...
It's a lifestyle choice. For all you know, the "fool" may think you're a fool too. And he may luck out and strike it rich sooner than you by landing a great job, great inheritance, great lottery, or all of the above.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Who don't want a high salary job? You are paid based on your market value and if the TS's market value currently is $3.5k, then that's that. He has to build from his first $3.5k. Telling him not to take the job because it is shitty to be drawing $3.5k at 33 years old is just plain stupid.