ITE Aerospace/Avionics Lecturer Jobs - Page 5 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




ITE Aerospace/Avionics Lecturer Jobs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 16-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12
losthope is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello! View Post
I teach in ITE for close to 3 years.

i've wanted to teach ever since i'm in the uni becos i'm an idealist and feel that i can make a difference to the lives of others, for the better of course.

anyway, after 7 years in my field in the industry, I decided to try to apply for a lecturing position in ITE. my decision to leave the industry is simple, i'm chasing an earlier dream of mine, coupled with the fact that I wanted a work-life balance.

after going through 5 rounds of informal and formal interviews, I was finally offered the contract. however, i've to accept a significant pay cut to the tune of S$800/. this simply meant that I must re-organise my lifestyle and adapt accordingly.

i accepted the offer and was sent on course to learn how to be a more effective lecturer. I was worried that the students might come to school with bicycle chains and the likes, simply looking for trouble but was reassured that the students are very much mellowed and different.

ITE today is no longer the ITE of yesteryears. the students are more studious and are generally very well behaved. in my close to 3 years, i've not witnessed any gang related activities, fights and even outright discipline issues with students. i've never seen nor heard of any incident whereby a student is rude to his/her teacher. there might be but i've not seen.

from my own point of view, i realised that there is no greater job satisfaction than having your past students visit you, thank you for your help and finding out that they are doing well in their present workplace/school.

if you are thinking of earning big $$, then teaching is definitely not the one for you. the bonuses and such are alrite, nothing fantastic. i'm nowhere nearer to my previous pay after close to 3 years but i'm VERY happy to be able to teach, guide and even inspire some of my students.

best of all, the discussion among lecturers is always about how best to help certain student, how best to deliver lessons etc. as compared to my past experiences in the industry where we only talk about how much $$ we can earn, how much to charge and even office politics. not saying that there isn't office politics but it is way lesser.


if your aim is to help, nurture and care for the younger generation, then maybe teaching might be your cup of tea.

i look forward to school every day. can't say the same in my old line.

if anyone of you need further clarifications on teaching life in ITE, feel free to ask in this forum. i will reply when I read it.
Hi, I am interested in teaching in ITE and would like to know more i.e. work hours, "ECA", salary & etc. Is there anyway that I can contact you other than through this forum? i.e. email?

Reply With Quote
  #42 (permalink)  
Old 17-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Curious?
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I though usually they will match your pay of give you a couple of hundreds more???

Unless the amount you earned outside includes sales commission, OT and allowances like transport???

Wonder when rationale does one go through to make the difficult decision of accepting a pay cut?

Any comments?

Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 17-04-2013, 02:50 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

desperate loh, when u no job or know abt to be fired what choice even if is 50% pay cut..

Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 17-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Nice read. Gave me some exposure.

Definitely looks like some conspiracy here. The management is filled with air force peeps and they will only hire their own guys. Being in air force for two years during my NS, i noticed how lazy they were and strong incompetency with an undying tendency to look good. A short stint to the HQ and interaction makes me know the BGs personally, and they aren't of much caliber too.

We have to relook into the system. There's some correlation in the failure of institutions and organisation vis-a-vis the number of former uniformed personnels at the helm.
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 17-04-2013, 04:05 PM
rsaftp
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Nice read. Gave me some exposure.

Definitely looks like some conspiracy here. The management is filled with air force peeps and they will only hire their own guys. Being in air force for two years during my NS, i noticed how lazy they were and strong incompetency with an undying tendency to look good. A short stint to the HQ and interaction makes me know the BGs personally, and they aren't of much caliber too.

We have to relook into the system. There's some correlation in the failure of institutions and organisation vis-a-vis the number of former uniformed personnels at the helm.
Yah loh, of course you are the most hardowrking here, the rest are all lazy. Everyone also no caliber except for a top talent like you. The system need to change to allow top talent like you to be BG instead.
Reply With Quote
  #46 (permalink)  
Old 17-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaftp View Post
Yah loh, of course you are the most hardowrking here, the rest are all lazy. Everyone also no caliber except for a top talent like you. The system need to change to allow top talent like you to be BG instead.
Our BGs should start fast food companies
Reply With Quote

  #47 (permalink)  
Old 18-04-2013, 10:16 PM
hello!
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious? View Post
I though usually they will match your pay of give you a couple of hundreds more???

Unless the amount you earned outside includes sales commission, OT and allowances like transport???

Wonder when rationale does one go through to make the difficult decision of accepting a pay cut?

Any comments?
they will try to match and depending on the current pay you're drawing and if it falls within their pay structure, then they will most likely match your pay or in some cases, give you slightly more than your current pay.

it depends on the HR.

taking a pay cut in exchange for free weekends, more time for friends and family even in weekdays, no more O.T and probably doing something that I like to do, in my instance, teaching, why not?


no more returning home at 10pm+, where the children have slept, little time to talk to parents, to wife...

can afford to take leave twice a year and go travel with the family...

meet up with wife and friend and go for a drink/meal on weekday evenings...

go picnic on Saturdays and on days when I have no lesson, I can take leave and spend the day with my children, taking them to school... having lunch with them, taking them for their swimming lesson...

in short, watching them grow up.



i don't know about you but when I was in the corporate world, it is almost impossible to do some of the things listed due to heavy workload. perhaps some of you are in the same shoes as I once was. maybe some of you are happy with the way your life maps out.

regardless, one man's meat is another's poison. this is my chosen path and i'm glad.





a word of caution, newcomers are all on contract, 2 years or 3 and it is imperative that we perform or our contract will not be renewed.


thanks for reading. =)
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old 18-04-2013, 10:27 PM
hello!
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by losthope View Post
Hi, I am interested in teaching in ITE and would like to know more i.e. work hours, "ECA", salary & etc. Is there anyway that I can contact you other than through this forum? i.e. email?
working hours is flexible. I find it hard to answer you but let's quote an example:

on Mondays, my class starts at 9am. try to be in school by 830am, giving yourself at least 1/2 an hour to prepare and set up for the lesson. i'm normally in school by 8am.

depending on your time schedule, your day could end at 3pm. by 'end', I meant to say that there is no more class and you might want to spend some time doing admin and paperwork.

I normally leave the school at around 6pm, after clearing emails and finishing with my paperwork.



CCA:

you can choose to join any established CCA as a helper/co-ordinator or you can come up with your own CCA. you can choose not to join and concentrate on your teaching. its up to each individual.


Salary:

as mentioned previously in my reply, the HR will try to match your current pay.


all newcomers are on 2 or 3 years contract and if your performance is not up to par, you will not be rewarded with a re-contract.


annual leave is 21 days. you can clear your leave during school holidays.
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old 19-04-2013, 10:54 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12
losthope is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello! View Post
working hours is flexible. I find it hard to answer you but let's quote an example:

on Mondays, my class starts at 9am. try to be in school by 830am, giving yourself at least 1/2 an hour to prepare and set up for the lesson. i'm normally in school by 8am.

depending on your time schedule, your day could end at 3pm. by 'end', I meant to say that there is no more class and you might want to spend some time doing admin and paperwork.

I normally leave the school at around 6pm, after clearing emails and finishing with my paperwork.



CCA:

you can choose to join any established CCA as a helper/co-ordinator or you can come up with your own CCA. you can choose not to join and concentrate on your teaching. its up to each individual.


Salary:

as mentioned previously in my reply, the HR will try to match your current pay.


all newcomers are on 2 or 3 years contract and if your performance is not up to par, you will not be rewarded with a re-contract.


annual leave is 21 days. you can clear your leave during school holidays.
Thanks for the reply, appreciated!
Regarding your reply on Salary, HR will try matching with your current pay even if you are a "newcomer" with no teaching experience? I accumulated more then 10 yrs working experience as an Engineer in an MNC so you think ITE/HR will still try an match my current pay? I am expecting some paycut but not know to what extend.
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)  
Old 19-04-2013, 10:08 PM
hello!
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by losthope View Post
Thanks for the reply, appreciated!
Regarding your reply on Salary, HR will try matching with your current pay even if you are a "newcomer" with no teaching experience? I accumulated more then 10 yrs working experience as an Engineer in an MNC so you think ITE/HR will still try an match my current pay? I am expecting some paycut but not know to what extend.
hmmm... they will request for your last payslip, i can't recall but I think they will request for your CPF slip, just to confirm your last drawn pay etc. sorry, I can't recall this part well as it has been some years.

then they will try to match ur pay in a seperate interview with the HR.

my fellow colleague was given an even more significant pay-cut, so much so that he rejected the contract. HR got in touch with him a 2nd time with an 'improved' offer and he signed. he didn't divulge to me the amount but if you are already earning quite a substantial pay in the corporate world, it is very likely that the teaching profession might not be able to match your current pay, unless we are talking about the Unis.

i've heard of bigger pay-cut for those who used to be 'bankers', auditors, etc. who got tired of the corporate world and made a mid-career switch to teaching in the local pri/secondary/JC schools. their pay-cut is just as significant, if not, more.

HR will try to convince you that in the public service sector, we have this number of bonuses per year, the benefits etc. if you are comfortable, then accept it.

once you are in the school, you will be sent for a pedagogic course on how to conduct lesson etc, which will run for some 3 weeks. you'll get a cert at the end of it.

ITE has many benefits and the school cares for its staff. If i'm not wrong, it is one of the top 10 employer last year. build a strong rapport with your students and you will definitely enjoy teaching in ITE, if your passion is in teaching.

if you're keen and there's an opening in your area of expertise, do write in and I wish you all the best!


oh, you can use the gyms, the swimming pool, the badminton courts, the running track etc. to keep fit and healthy.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Case Study 1 - How Poly Lecturer became Millionaire Salary.sg Investments and Net Worth 18 17-12-2013 03:39 AM
How much pay should I expect as a lecturer? veil Income and Jobs 23 27-12-2012 08:08 AM
Aerospace Engineers JeffLKS Income and Jobs 3 10-03-2012 12:49 AM
How much is a lecturer earnin in NAFA and ADM of NTU gnor Income and Jobs 6 01-11-2011 10:23 AM
Jobs for lecturer(psychology) saby Education and Personal Growth 3 11-01-2011 05:35 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Unilever UFLP 2018 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
30 Replies, 13,171 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,899 Replies, 2,409,849 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,897 Replies, 4,279,585 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,846 Replies, 1,630,737 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,049 Replies, 1,126,542 Views
Earn your daiy Sgd5,000 from...
0 Replies, 17 Views
UBS Financial Services Industry... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
350 Replies, 99,346 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
415 Replies, 291,754 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,255 Replies, 7,102,269 Views
Can I serve my notice and put my...
6 Replies, 16,098 Views
career dilemma in 30s ( 1 2 3)
25 Replies, 12,395 Views
Civil engineering pay
5 Replies, 1,577 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
270 Replies, 112,837 Views
MOM(ACE) offers good career... ( 1 2 3)
22 Replies, 2,559 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,465 Replies, 4,242,462 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
46 Replies, 24,110 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
984 Replies, 706,348 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,037 Replies, 1,628,027 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,809 Replies, 2,369,963 Views
SCDF direct entry lieutenant
8 Replies, 4,486 Views
GIC (Government of Singapore... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
322 Replies, 435,786 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
313 Replies, 295,304 Views
HDB (under MND) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
451 Replies, 355,711 Views
Sign On After 30? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
52 Replies, 20,595 Views
Aircraft Maintenance License and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
663 Replies, 515,598 Views
SLA (Singapore Land Authority)
9 Replies, 2,570 Views
Best Primary Schools 2021 (by...
0 Replies, 112 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2